The case for working with your hands. - Page 2
Close

The case for working with your hands.

This is a discussion on The case for working with your hands. within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Maybe I am missing something here but did Flip really just post an article as if it were his own without appropriate credit to the ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: The case for working with your hands.

Maybe I am missing something here but did Flip really just post an article as if it were his own without appropriate credit to the author? At best that is plagiarism and at worst it's Trumpian self aggrandization. As farmer put it so succinctly. WTF? Unless of course, Flip is actually the original author.

If he is not then he is stealing others work to make himself appear smarter than he is and a justification for trying to make a living flipping bikes to make it sound romantic and noble.

There is true value in all labor and in our knowledge based society where we know less and less about everything useful in life, we have a totally screwed up compensation scheme where the Only stakeholders considered are shareholders. So the rich get richer and the poor get the picture. copyright Midnight Oil.

What people want to know is who is Flip and what credentials does he have? Is he a philosopher or and Engineer perhaps or just a dipstick with a need to try to impress others?

Yea, no acknowledgement of where it came from right up front is a bad move. It's not like an opinion on it or even repeating it in ones own words.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Speaking as someone who has been blessed with the choice, and the opportunity to chose, I have worked with my hands, and with my brain, and various combinations of both, all my life; both working for others, and being self-employed. To top it off, I've written a book about the bike bits, based on my personal experience.

I didn't read the entire article in the original post here (dizzy head from strange penicillin and cough meds), nor have I read the much-touted "Zen" book, or the "shopcraft as soulcraft" book; but I do get a sense that some people simply have a personal attitude that does not allow them to accept the work of others, no matter how well and carefully it is presented, and other people have far less critical minds that accept drivel as gospel. I fall somewhere in the middle, and appreciate people who've taken the time to write extensively on any subject, when it is done well.

Bottom line for me is still loving what I do (restoring and repairing motorcycles), even though doing it for a living is not as fun or profitable as almost any other work I've done.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Only made it 1/2 way through and my ADD got the best of me. Some interesting thoughts. Here is mine... all that education gone to waste. Which credential leads you or the writer to use a Phillips screwdriver on JIS fasteners. No wonder you dread removing case covers. I'm a high school drop out btw..... an escapee from the Ritalin fog, but I can take pride in the fact (trying not to sound too boastful) that I know how to use a screwdriver.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 05-14-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    BigAl8295 likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I honestly thought it was SoyBoySigh
    Farmer_John likes this.

Whatever that is don't compare me to it

..................Attachment 61873
    drgonzo likes this.

Oh my...
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Quote Originally Posted by grandpaul View Post
    Oh my...
    Lol thanks for the insight grandpaul, I'll check out your book later

Grandpauls book is great. An enjoyable read and I'd say awesome gift for someone with a burgeoning interest in old bikes.
    jaguar and drgonzo like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links