The case for working with your hands. - Page 4
Close

The case for working with your hands.

This is a discussion on The case for working with your hands. within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by jcw exactly what I was thinking... The pipeburn/bikeexif cafe racers are/were a fad. It is fading it is, but it won't go ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: The case for working with your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    exactly what I was thinking...

The pipeburn/bikeexif cafe racers are/were a fad. It is fading
    it is, but it won't go away. The hobby has been changed by it and with the new age of tech there will always be new blood "discovering" it a new because let's face it - motorcycles are cool always.
    Tanshanomi likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Maybe the notion that people who work with their hands are undervalued, or viewed as low class citizens is magnified by my personal experiences, culture, or location.

Maybe the sense of injustice is mangified by my own personal need to justify my life choices, and/or alleviate the question of what ifs.

Then again I am not someone who has poured or dedicated decades of my life to manual labor, or motorcycles. I am more at a crossroads and still figuring out my path. It's the journey that's fun for me anyway not the destination.

There are some interesting perspectives here...
    Last edited by flipmotorcycles; 05-15-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Can't speak to the educational system down there, but up here I think it's fucked up from K to 12. From my personal experience it seemed like really good teachers were few and far between. I don't really have the desire to go into great detail, but the system, as it is doesn't attract the brightest. The unions protect the boneheads, and seniority outweighs ability. I know good ones are out there. A good friend is a Principal and he is one of the people I admire the most in life. For things like the programs he has developed to keep the underprivileged in school and his fights to have positions filled by the most qualified.
    One thing that has stuck with me, was a conversation with a Japanese Engineer from Hamamatsu who was involved in designing motorcycles. A lot of folk would think that he was at the pinnacle of the working world. What he really wanted to do was teach high school math. Granted its a little different there.... teachers are held in high regard... right up there with MDs.
    flipmotorcycles likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flipmotorcycles View Post
    Maybe the notion that people who work with their hands are undervalued, or viewed as low class citizens is magnified by my personal experiences, culture, or location.
    Completely fair, and it is cultural. Some people look down on others because of education and how they present themselves while others look down on the poor, and manual labor (and I mean that in just using your hands, not as a pejorative), tends to attract a lot of those people. It doesn't make them dirt bags or anything, lord knows there are plenty of dirt bags in suits, but the sad fact is perception is reality to a lot of people, and it's easy to perceive that a lot of plumbers, or mechanics, or electricians have 8th grade educations, blow their nose in your hand towels, and hit on your 14 year old daughter while fixing the furnace once you have met a couple of them like that.

For a long time the market for skilled labor was flooded so in a sense it was undervalued because wages were driven down by the competition for the jobs. Now mid-level office worker and skilled laborers make the same amount, and both feel undervalued. Often the office worker is carrying more debt too though student loans. Each thinks low of the other, and thus the working class does not gang up on the power class. Everyone is looking for their own significance, sometimes that comes at the cost of making others feel less significant.

Maybe the sense of injustice is mangified by my own personal need to justify my life choices, and/or alleviate the question of what ifs.
    injustice?

People who strike it out on their own defy the grain. The reward is a greater life experience and the full range of emotion, but often at the cost of stability. You are always going to be conflicted by the choices you make, esp when those choices go against the grain. embrace it, the only justification is happiness, but that never feels like enough, does it?

Then again I am not someone who has poured or dedicated decades of my life to manual labor, or motorcycles. I am more at a crossroads and still figuring out my path. It's the journey that's fun for me anyway not the destination.
    keep an open mind and above all else to thine own self be true

Geeto have you owned a storage unit with like 6 bikes in it in queens somewhere I think it was Astoria
    For a long time I worked out of a century old carrage house in Flushing Queens. Sadly it is all gone now and I am mouldering in the midwest. Have we met?
    flipmotorcycles likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I'll admit to jumping from page one to page four wihtout reading much of anything... but when that book came out someone gave it to me for a couple of reasons I won't get into. Sufice it to say it sounded like something I'd like. I didn't. It read like a college thesis and I had enough of that shit in college. The ideas interest me but the presentation made me want to do anything else but read it.

It's still around here somewhere I think.
    nic579 likes this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Flip seems to be another one of those frikkin' pseudo intellectuals who have no idea what they are talking about and think they are smarter than the average bear, but in reality are not. Ask a sociologist or psychologist or anyone that understands human behavior to explain changes in perception of manual labor. The rest of us who work at desks and enjoy working on motorcycles understand the attraction of working with our hands and the satisfaction it can bring from doing something physical where we can see and feel the results, where the senses are involved.
    jcw, CaTacL1sm and Integra99 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    Flip seems to be another one of those frikkin' pseudo intellectuals who have no idea what they are talking about and think they are smarter than the average bear, but in reality are not. Ask a sociologist or psychologist or anyone that understands human behavior to explain changes in perception of manual labor. The rest of us who work at desks and enjoy working on motorcycles understand the attraction of working with our hands and the satisfaction it can bring from doing something physical where we can see and feel the results, where the senses are involved.
    Damn bitch relax

As to people getting bored of mediocrity, don't bet on it.

Perhaps there is a niche class of riders who are perfectly happy with mediocrity in a motorcycle, as a means of cheap transport, yet still have a certain 'je ne se quois' that leads them to customize thier mundane bike to a certain degree and leave it like that till they finally move on, sometimes YEARS and many miles down the road.

Certainly not hard to imagine...
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Quote Originally Posted by flipmotorcycles View Post
    Damn bitch relax
    And that is your considered response. Seriously. All you can muster is a lame relax bitch put down? Not quite the intellect you were trying to pretend that you are. in the words of Emperor Trump, "sad, really really sad".

I am still unsure why you are here. To flatter your own inflated ego perhaps? To try to impress anyone here with you startling wit and sales skills? Maybe just big into self delusion and a little short on self awareness?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpaul View Post
    As to people getting bored of mediocrity, don't bet on it.

Perhaps there is a niche class of riders who are perfectly happy with mediocrity in a motorcycle, as a means of cheap transport, yet still have a certain 'je ne se quois' that leads them to customize thier mundane bike to a certain degree and leave it like that till they finally move on, sometimes YEARS and many miles down the road.

Certainly not hard to imagine...
    Attachment 62289 ..... .

Attachment 62297...............

Attachment 62305
    Last edited by nic579; 05-16-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sponsored Links