The case for working with your hands.
Close

This is a discussion on The case for working with your hands. within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The television show “Deadliest Catch” depicts commercial crab fishermen in the Bering Sea. Another, “Dirty Jobs,” shows all kinds of grueling work; one episode featured ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: The case for working with your hands.

The television show “Deadliest Catch” depicts commercial crab fishermen in the Bering Sea. Another, “Dirty Jobs,” shows all kinds of grueling work; one episode featured a guy who inseminates turkeys for a living. The weird fascination of these shows must lie partly in the fact that such confrontations with material reality have become exotically unfamiliar. Many of us do work that feels more surreal than real. Working in an office, you often find it difficult to see any tangible result from your efforts. What exactly have you accomplished at the end of any given day? Where the chain of cause and effect is opaque and responsibility diffuse, the experience of individual agency can be elusive. “Dilbert,” “The Office” and similar portrayals of cubicle life attest to the dark absurdism with which many Americans have come to view their white-collar jobs.

Is there a more “real” alternative (short of inseminating turkeys)?

High-school shop-class programs were widely dismantled in the 1990s as educators prepared students to become “knowledge workers.” The imperative of the last 20 years to round up every warm body and send it to college, then to the cubicle, was tied to a vision of the future in which we somehow take leave of material reality and glide about in a pure information economy. This has not come to pass. To begin with, such work often feels more enervating than gliding. More fundamentally, now as ever, somebody has to actually do things: fix our cars, unclog our toilets, build our houses.

When we praise people who do work that is straightforwardly useful, the praise often betrays an assumption that they had no other options. We idealize them as the salt of the earth and emphasize the sacrifice for others their work may entail. Such sacrifice does indeed occur — the hazards faced by a lineman restoring power during a storm come to mind. But what if such work answers as well to a basic human need of the one who does it? I take this to be the suggestion of Marge Piercy’s poem “To Be of Use,” which concludes with the lines “the pitcher longs for water to carry/and a person for work that is real.” Beneath our gratitude for the lineman may rest envy.

This seems to be a moment when the useful arts have an especially compelling economic rationale. A car mechanics’ trade association reports that repair shops have seen their business jump significantly in the current recession: people aren’t buying new cars; they are fixing the ones they have. The current downturn is likely to pass eventually. But there are also systemic changes in the economy, arising from information technology, that have the surprising effect of making the manual trades — plumbing, electrical work, car repair — more attractive as careers. The Princeton economist Alan Blinder argues that the crucial distinction in the emerging labor market is not between those with more or less education, but between those whose services can be delivered over a wire and those who must do their work in person or on site. The latter will find their livelihoods more secure against outsourcing to distant countries. As Blinder puts it, “You can’t hammer a nail over the Internet.” Nor can the Indians fix your car. Because they are in India.

Post comments Edit:

Read on at: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/ma...24labor-t.html
    Credit to author: Matthew B. Crawford

This is my intro because in 15' when I joined I never bothered to post. It articulates part of my journey pertaining to motorcycles far better than I could ever have, plus I see no intrinsic value for any reader of this post to know who I am and/or what I do. (Besides the obvious fact that I work on bikes)

Apologies for my trumpian self-aggrandization.
    Last edited by flipmotorcycles; 05-14-2017 at 03:51 PM.

What the fuck?

Looks like someone had a manic episode
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
    What the fuck?
    LOL. Probably the only appropriate response.

A good case for Twitters 140 character post limit.

It is a cut and paste The Case for Working With Your Hands - The New York Times It's another attempt to add value to work by overstating the intellectual and spiritual aspects of working on motorcycles. Think Zen and the Art updated for modern hipsters who can't be bothered to read an entire book so it was boiled down to an essay. It should come with every set of pods and Firestones.

Scott
    BigAl8295, Geeto67 and drgonzo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookster View Post
    It is a cut and paste The Case for Working With Your Hands - The New York Times It's another attempt to add value to work by overstating the intellectual and spiritual aspects of working on motorcycles. Think Zen and the Art updated for modern hipsters who can't be bothered to read an entire book so it was boiled down to an essay. It should come with every set of pods and Firestones.

Scott
    Really? This really hits home for me. It's really perspective if anything not overstating anything, or maybe you don't have the credentials to know what he's talking about.
    Last edited by flipmotorcycles; 05-14-2017 at 08:28 AM.

or maybe you don't have the credentials to know what he's talking about.
    An internet pissing contest, how exciting. Have you ever worked in a real motorcycle shop? There is nothing spiritual or intellectual about it. It's about finishing tasks quickly and moving to the next one. Any contemplation will literally lose you money. If you want inner peace working on motorcycles make it your hobby not your occupation.

Just so you understand, I criticized the work not you for posting it. If you liked it that's fine. I didn't and that's fine too. Don't be so defensive about someone else's work.

Scott

jcw
    Dear diary, today I tried to make a point on a motorcycle forum...
    Farmer_John and drgonzo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookster View Post
    If you want inner peace working on motorcycles make it your hobby not your occupation.

Scott
    having the choice itself is a privilege. And yeah he has rose colored glasses

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links