CB500 Four K1 - Page 2
Close

CB500 Four K1

This is a discussion on CB500 Four K1 within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by gs1327 Gee. Looks great. Thanks, and will do again...

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: CB500 Four K1

Quote Originally Posted by gs1327 View Post
    Gee. Looks great.
    Thanks, and will do again

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    It looked like a good bike when you got it. Did it run? A plan is always handy... before you start.
    Bike hadn't run since 2012.
    Got everything electrical working, turned it over with spark at plugs.
    Didn't intend to start it as carbs a bit unpleasant.
    Pushed through the gears, all operational.
    Stiff clutch, shaft has snapped, understand this is a known issue.
    One fork leg all spring, the other all glue
    Tyres shot
    Tank terrific internally but major dent
    Brakes, who knows but functioned

Plan? Wouldn't start without one

Quote Originally Posted by miniman View Post
    That looked a decent original bike.

Poor thing didnt stand a chance RIP
    That's why I bought it and am now its only chance - Phoenix from the ashes 😉

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    Don't forget to those those OEM pipes in the dumpster. They're worthless......

..... and, where would said dumpster be located?

Ya know, when so many of these CB fours became victims of the 70's, at least they could be revived by replacing the 16" Harley wheel, removing the 6" over forks, and unbolting a few tacky JC Whitney catalog purchases.. The current trend of "grind before planning" has "point of no return" plastered all over it.
    Pipes good but chrome shot.

Resting back of garage

From sought after to scrap in a few hours.
    Yes I did a lot of searching before buying.
    Figured it would be easier to rebuild forks after removing front wheel to replace tube and tyre.
    Damn difficult to replace swing arm bushes with the chain in place.
    So much easier to paint the frame without the bolt ons and repairing the tank would a nightmare etc. etc. etc. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    Bike hadn't run since 2012.
    Got everything electrical working, turned it over with spark at plugs.
    Didn't intend to start it as carbs a bit unpleasant.
    Pushed through the gears, all operational.
    Stiff clutch, shaft has snapped, understand this is a known issue.
    One fork leg all spring, the other all glue
    Tyres shot
    Tank terrific internally but major dent
    Brakes, who knows but functioned
    Just to be clear, you still have a bike that you don't really know about because you didn't ride it, and your first serious work was to cut the frame and fit an ugly seat to.

So, here is the thing about SOHC4 transmissions. If they need work - you won't know it from it sitting on the main stand in your garage and working them through the gears, you'll know it from being fully warmed up riding it in traffic. False neutrals and jumping out of gear under load are usually the most common problems. You also don't know if the clutch is any good or if the clutch basket is coming apart (another SOHC concern but affects the 750s more). All you know is that it shifts when you aren't riding it.

BTW, these engines are freaking expensive to buy parts for. I don't know if you priced anything out, but if you have to put bearings or rings in it, it ain't cheap. Tranny rebuild? might as well source another engine with a working trans for what it will cost if you need a gear set or shift forks (bearings might not be so bad).

There are a lot of little fiddly electronic bits on these old bikes that work fine for the first 30 minutes but as the bike warms up they go to shit. Don't worry, the way you are going they will drive you batshit crazy later on as they fail.

Plan? Wouldn't start without one
    Oh I would love to hear this considering your "plan" had you taking a chop wheel to a frame before you had a running bike. Also, Why is the bike apart like that? you needed to take off the forks to cut the frame? yeah you are off to a great start
    Last edited by Geeto67; 02-09-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    I saw the first pic and thought "well there ya go" that'll clean up nice. Then I saw the crime scene photos. The coolest bike when everyone is done grinding and bending the shit outta every CB they can find will be a bone stock one. But, if it makes you happy grind away.......
    Grinding makes me happy

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    what an asshole.
    Thanks man, I was worried with the bit of weight loss that it wasn't so cute anymore.

Good to know I've still got it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Integra99 View Post
    Ohhh no words... can I have the exhausts before you cut them up... !
    Free to collect when I'm finished

The classifieds are full of tortured bikes right now. "Project for sale" is the headline of the season which, strangely enough, is a direct translation of "hacked frame and basket of parts for sale" in ancient rider.
    An interesting statement perhaps but not sure of the relevance

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Just to be clear, you still have a bike that you don't really know about because you didn't ride it, and your first serious work was to cut the frame and fit an ugly seat to.

So, here is the thing about SOHC4 transmissions. If they need work - you won't know it from it sitting on the main stand in your garage and working them through the gears, you'll know it from being fully warmed up riding it in traffic. False neutrals and jumping out of gear under load are usually the most common problems. You also don't know if the clutch is any good or if the clutch basket is coming apart (another SOHC concern but affects the 750s more). All you know is that it shifts when you aren't riding it.

BTW, these engines are freaking expensive to buy parts for. I don't know if you priced anything out, but if you have to put bearings or rings in it, it ain't cheap. Tranny rebuild? might as well source another engine with a working trans for what it will cost if you need a gear set or shift forks (bearings might not be so bad).

There are a lot of little fiddly electronic bits on these old bikes that work fine for the first 30 minutes but as the bike warms up they go to shit. Don't worry, the way you are going they will drive you batshit crazy later on as they fail.

Oh I would love to hear this considering your "plan" had you taking a chop wheel to a frame before you had a running bike. Also, Why is the bike apart like that? you needed to take off the forks to cut the frame? yeah you are off to a great start
    Easy tiger, I'm not picking a fight just sharing.
    I'm happy with my sequencing and am sure to test fit many times before final decisions.
    I haven't fitted a seat, just mocked up a couple of options which required a cut behind shock mounts.
    I don't know what I don't know. I get that, but hope those that do may choose to assist me.
    Definitely interested in model specific knowledge but happy implementing my vision

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links