CB500 Four K1 - Page 22
Close

CB500 Four K1

This is a discussion on CB500 Four K1 within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Finally started reassembling Steering and engine mounted....

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: CB500 Four K1

Finally started reassembling
    Steering and engine mounted.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Have you considered fitting it with taper bearings instead of those loose balls,
    they don't really work so good even when they were brand new.

Definitely on the agenda, I just had the ball bearings and races in place.
    Needed to do something to get moving. It’s 2 years since I took it apart.
    TrialsRider likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

And yet Suzuki fit balls to the steering head of their 180mph (or whatever) CSXR1000, 750 whatever.

Yes balls with cup and cone will pit over time but the difference in steering effort between balls and rollers is negligible. I will fit rollers if cup and cones are dented, but if they are good, I won't waste time and money swapping them out with taper rollers. And that includes drag race and road race bikes.

The reason you have to check the loose ball bearing race to see if it is pitted or dented, has broken or balls with flat spots is because the bearing is not up to the task. Taper rollers are just that, rollers with a cylindrical line of contact instead of round balls with single points of contact and the steering head bearing area on a motorcycle has always been one of the most highly stressed hinges on the entire frame. Is not wasted money for the small cost you can buy good quality taper bearings for at a local farm equipment or bearing supply store that will probably out live the rider.

Number of catastrophic taper bearing failures I have personally experienced is zero, the number of loose steering head bearing failures, all of them.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 12-08-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks for the inputs. It’s something I’ll get around to at some stage. In truth my hand built wheels are probably likely to need more focus.

Especially the rear as I just can figure the offset.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    Especially the rear as I just can figure the offset.
    What happened there, did the spokes not centre the rim?
    I had that happen once, was a b*tch to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    The reason you have to check the loose ball bearing race to see if it is pitted or dented, has broken or balls with flat spots is because the bearing is not up to the task. Taper rollers are just that, rollers with a cylindrical line of contact instead of round balls with single points of contact and the steering head bearing area on a motorcycle has always been one of the most highly stressed hinges on the entire frame. Is not wasted money for the small cost you can buy good quality taper bearings for at a local farm equipment or bearing supply store that will probably out live the rider.

Number of catastrophic taper bearing failures I have personally experienced is zero, the number of loose steering head bearing failures, all of them.
    The question is whether a cup and cone bearing is adequate for the task and the answer is yes. Are taper rollers a Better solution? Define better than good enough. Is the issue one of failure which is basically zero for either type in terms of terminal dangerous conditions?

And the point of contact is more than just a single point. That's because the cup and cone are both radiused so that there is actually a strip of contact. Yes, I agree that over time ball bearings do suffer from a condition known as brinelling where the underlying softer steel collapses somewhat, but that doesn't constitute failure.

The real advantage of a taper roller is one of reduced maintenance and longer working life. Valid issues for a bike that does a lot of miles, but for many of us, the advantages are overstated. IF the old OEM bearings are worn, it is probably a good idea to replace them and if taper rollers are available at more or less the same cost as OEM, then by all means replace them.

I'm not telling anyone here what they must do or even should do. Just clarifying things.

jcw
    I think tapered roller bearings are more tolerant of axial loads, too. But yeah, current model suzuki gsxr's come from the factory with ball bearings.
    Yes, I did replace mine with tapered bearings but only because I switched triples and the new ones came with tapered bearings.
    Last edited by jcw; 12-09-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Something tells me we would all be shocked by the number of people out there riding on bad steering head bearings and trashed swingarm bushings. Lots of riders don't even know how to check those things.

The advantage of balls over rollers is cool operation at high speed, and economy of production, but this is a low speed bearing that is occasionally subjected to impact loads (like when you smack the handlebars into the steering stops). The advantage of rollers is far greater strength, impact resistance and the ability to use and retain some bearing preload, which is going to keep the frame running truer longer and possibly even reduce the need for an additional steering dampener.

Taper bearings that are standard schedule size aren't even expensive, we are talking about a 14 dollar bearing here. I bet you would pay more for the OEM bits.

"brinelling where the underlying softer steel collapses somewhat, but that doesn't constitute failure." the hardened surface of either the balls or the races is only microns thick, if you dent either surface that bearing is done in my opinion.

https://www.nbcorporation.com/differ...-ball-bearing/ <- ball is a single point of contact according to the people who make them.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 12-09-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links