Inheritance
Close

Inheritance

This is a discussion on Inheritance within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi all! I inherited a couple mid 70's model Honda CB's from my grampa when he passed a couple years ago. He was a great ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Inheritance

Inheritance

Hi all!

I inherited a couple mid 70's model Honda CB's from my grampa when he passed a couple years ago. He was a great mechanic. I am not. But I love him dearly and want to continue his legacy. So, now that I'm finally getting the time and money, I figure this is a good time to start learning. I'm going to start with the one that already runs. It's a '76 CB750 (as I'm told by my dad). From what I understand, it just needs some tires and work on the carburetor. But I'd like eventually overhaul it completely and turn it into a serious Cafe Racer. I figure the carburetor is the best place to start. Since I want it to eventually be a sleek Cafe Racer, I want to tune it for pod filters and performance exhaust. I think I understand the basics of re-jetting the carburetor from some videos I've found on YouTube. But my current knowledge is entry level at best and, depending on the presenter, YouTube isn't always the most reliable source. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now. I've done some Googling and I'm still not sure where/what parts to buy for my exact model of bike. If any of you could point me in the right direction for some good educational reources, I'd really appreciate it! I look forward to interacting with you all over the course of my builds and hope I can eventually learn enough to be of help to others.

Hi, very cool that you have interest in fixing up your bikes,
    and maybe even learning to ride them?

I have 2 things to say about your cafe racer vision, first is your CB750 has 4 carburetors,
    second is; I been doing this motorcycle thing probably as long as your grandpa and pod filters, they were Never a thing, you are highly advised to scrap that part of the vision.

Best luck with your project Glennpm

Grandpa would likely be angered by the trash being made from vintage bikes. Making a great sport bike from a honda 4 has nothing to do with grinders and bonelines. Cafer racers were always about improved performance, it had nothing to do with how a bike looks. Modifications that improved braking, turn in, acceleration out and stability at high speed was what were done and if you want something true to it's heritage then that's the direction you should go. Get the best one running in stock configuration, then start from the ground up replacing, tires, pads, lines, shocks, springs, rearsets, steering damper, bearings, bushings, sprockets, chain, etc. By the time you get to the top it'll be so much fun spanking the cafe posers you might want to leave the rust or dings.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

You got it all wrong. It's about skateboard seats clipons and knobby tires - a combination that assures the rider or hero-maker status. A legend in his own lunchtime. That combo assures that it is both uncomfortable and unsafe, and that confirms the hipster hero status.

Seriously though, forget all that you think you know about cafe racers and build the bike back stock and just ride the bloody thing. Then after a few thousand miles and near misses, work out what you want to change to make it work better for how you want to ride it.

Now that 'cafe Racers" are like arse holes in that everyone has one, it's easier to stand out on a stock looking time capsule that is fun to ride as well as cool.
    woodsman and widowmakerhp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GLENNpm View Post
    Hi all!

I inherited a couple mid 70's model Honda CB's from my grampa when he passed a couple years ago. He was a great mechanic. I am not. But I love him dearly and want to continue his legacy. So, now that I'm finally getting the time and money, I figure this is a good time to start learning. I'm going to start with the one that already runs. It's a '76 CB750 (as I'm told by my dad). From what I understand, it just needs some tires and work on the carburetor.
    Great! I love your enthusiasm. Here is what you need to do:
    1. Get a factory service manual, as well as a Haynes or a clymer manual. You can download the factory manuals from places like the SOHC4.net forum, the other two you may have to buy.
    2. Evaluate your tools. use the manual to figure out what basic tools you are going to need. There is a thread about my 1975 CB750F that has a massive tool list in it right around page 7, go look for it.
    3. Don't modify a thing. The first step to any custom is building off a solid foundation. The bike needs to run well and be rideable and you need to actually ride it before you start modifying it. Chances are once you modify it the first two things you will want to do are brakes and suspension.

Chances are if the bike has been sitting it will need brakes, tires, a fork rebuild, etc....more than just a set of tires and a carb clean. Why not post some pics of it and we can tell you what it needs.

But I'd like eventually overhaul it completely and turn it into a serious Cafe Racer. I figure the carburetor is the best place to start. Since I want it to eventually be a sleek Cafe Racer, I want to tune it for pod filters and performance exhaust. I think I understand the basics of re-jetting the carburetor from some videos I've found on YouTube. But my current knowledge is entry level at best and, depending on the presenter, YouTube isn't always the most reliable source. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now. I've done some Googling and I'm still not sure where/what parts to buy for my exact model of bike. If any of you could point me in the right direction for some good educational reources, I'd really appreciate it! I look forward to interacting with you all over the course of my builds and hope I can eventually learn enough to be of help to others.
    This is where your enthusiasm is causing you to be stupid. Something you will learn playing with these bikes are that pod filters are pretty much worthless on SOHC cb750s. Like they actually steal power out of a stock engine. You will also come to find that the stock 4-4 exhaust is very good (albeit heavy) for a stock engine and also somewhat coveted so if you still have the stock pipes, don't hack them up.

The carb is the best place to start for you to learn how to rebuild a carb and get a bike running. I will say that these bikes don't run like fuel injected vehicles and they are somewhat cold natured. The choke is important to their running and often they don't idle until somewhat warmed up. You will need special tools to rebuild it but the manual will cover it. USE ONLY HONDA PARTS in rebuilding the carbs. There are kits like K&L or keyster where the brass parts (jets, etc) aren't exactly to spec and if you get an out of spec needle or seat the carb will never work right. Honestly, unless your brass parts are damaged or severly worn, you can reuse most if not all after cleaning and just need gaskets.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post

Now that 'cafe Racers" are like arse holes in that everyone has one, it's easier to stand out on a stock looking time capsule that is fun to ride as well as cool.
    and it'll make all the originals worth a whole lot more in years to come given how many have been sacrificed to the cafe gods.

Wow! What a bunch of friendly and supportive fellows. I read you all loud and clear! It sounds like filters are bad news. I'll be running without any filters from now on. Thanks!

Wow! What a bunch of friendly and supportive fellows. I read you all loud and clear! It sounds like filters are bad news. I'll be running without any filters from now on. Thanks!
    cheeky monkey

The interesting thing about the SOHC cb750 is it was developed with all the most advanced techniques at the time. they even built one with a window into the combustion chamber to see the flame front. It was 1960's GP tech in a street bike - cars weren't even that advanced at the time. The stock airbox uses things like laminar airflow and helmholtz resonance to provide perfect fueling. It isn't like a 350 chevy where they just stuck an aircleaner on a quadrajet and called it a day, if you take it apart you'll see rubber velocity stacks inside, this is one of the ealiest uses of something that has become very common on modern sport bikes. the best thing to do is get a K&N replacement inside the stock airbox. there are also ways to modify the airbox to improve it as well. In a SOHC cb750 the filters aren't the restriction - it's the valve size. If you look at the years they ran big valves or high lift/duration cams, they always make significantly more power than the middle years (like the one you have).
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Woah, Woah, Woah! I'm not sure what you think you're doing, Geeto67, but you just wrote the first post in this thread that didn't insult me. Are you feeling OK? Considering your previous post called me stupid, are you sure my tiny brain can process that vast wealth of superior knowledge? I tell you what. I'm going to start slow. As you all suggested, I should definitely scrap my trash vision that my late grandpa would be angered by because it doesn't line up with this group's own superior vision of what all motorcycles should be without even the slightest bit of adulterous deviation. One thing that has been made abundantly clear is that no real cafe racer has ever or should ever actually have anything about its looks modified since performance is the only thing that matters for these amazing machines that are only 50 years behind current performance technology. I see now that it's only ever acceptable and righteous to use original parts and to maintain a strict stock appearance. Thank you for the enlightenment. I think I'm good to go with most of it. I'm only having a hard time finding leaded gasoline. Fortunately, I happen to have an old pencil sharpener from that same era. I'll make sure to start shaving down all my old no. 2 pencils to use as an additive. What do you recommend as an appropriate mixture?

Reductio ad absurdum......

It's simple, get it running, ride it, change what you need to make it ride better, make it as pretty as you want without altering how it runs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links