Newbie Warning From WV. - Page 2
Close

Newbie Warning From WV.

This is a discussion on Newbie Warning From WV. within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Was the straight bar look a fad at some point? because my bike came with straight bars too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Newbie Warning From WV.

Was the straight bar look a fad at some point? because my bike came with straight bars too

Quote Originally Posted by HammerXS750S View Post
    Why do you say that? New 77 tank. New seat, maybe raise the back, change out the front forks.. Not sure way I can’t get the look I want? Little confused..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The bike you have is set up (in the stock form) to be a reliable touring bike, not a 50s/60s racer.

Now that doesn't mean you can't have a sporty bike that's enjoyable to ride. After a full service, upgrading the suspension and bearings and brakes and tires can yield dividends on the street.

Is this the bodywork you're putting on It?

Last edited by CaTacL1sm; 09-07-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerXS750S View Post
    Read something about the front shock on this bike being trash. Not sure why.

Watch what you read...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The forks have a leading axle, which the bike hackers won't like because it doesn't give them the "look". The forks are fine, they work well when used in an application they were designed for. It's funny in your reading no one mention the problem with the shaft that runs the elevator at the rear.

You really want to do some budget work before you start changing things. unless money is no object. If you clean it up, get it running properly and flip it, you'll likely be happier in the long run. Make a few bucks, learn somethings and keep looking. You may be able to get that bike to look the way you want, but when you're talking about "trash forks" and you don't know why. then you need to do more research on what makes a bike great to ride.
    540nova and HammerXS750S like this.

Flat bars are great ! and possibly it's just the photo but from here those ones look to be at least a foot too long. Stock suspension is nothing spectacular on the majority of Japanese motorcycles that were built in that era and with cost being a major consideration but realistically the rest of the bike was also built with the same scale of economy. Personally I would lose the centre stand, passenger pegs and start replacing any heavy steel parts with alloy or plastics, the rear shocks are usually a great place to start with upgrades as the originals probably set Yamaha back all of about 7$ each. I'd make sure all the chassis bearings and bushings were 100% good, rebuild the front forks, then I would spend way too much money on upgrading tires, exhaust and air intake, possibly replace the steel fuel tank. Lastly I would save enough coin to pay for minimal coverage insurance which up here would exceed 600$ annually ymmv.

Well, it has been away.. LOL..

Hanging out while I am wait to see if anyone answers a question about wiring a m-unit, so I thought I would revisit my original post and give everyone an update.. Whether you want one or not.

The original post showed the bike as I picked it up a little over year ago. At this point, I need to finish wiring, control linkage, brake lines and fuel lines, carb sync.

Like I said, bike the day I picked her up. Not much to look at.
    Name:  IMG_0800.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  1.88 MBName:  IMG_0802.JPG
Views: 21
Size:  1.98 MB

Spent a couple weeks (months) getting her down the the frame and motor.
    Name:  IMG_0942.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  1.99 MBName:  IMG_0973.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  2.14 MB

Stripped the paint and polished the wheels a bit.. Nothing crazy..
    Name:  IMG_1149.JPG
Size:  2.36 MBName:  IMG_1120.JPG
Size:  2.29 MB

Did a little creative frame additions to hid the battery and m-unit. Plus by raising the seat and lowing the tank mount, it hides a bit of the frame rake.
    Name:  57681308459__459DC2AE-36F2-44C3-8441-539B825F7DBC.JPG
Size:  2.02 MB

Added some garage paint from my new built home paint booth.. Amazing what a cheap canopy and trap can get you..
    Name:  IMG_1148.JPG
Size:  2.39 MBName:  IMG_1168 1.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  2.08 MBName:  IMG_0044.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  2.27 MB

Then the rebuild began..
    Name:  IMG_0184.JPG
Size:  2.27 MBName:  IMG_0191.JPG
Size:  2.09 MBName:  IMG_0219.jpg
Size:  2.89 MBName:  IMG_0281.JPG
Size:  2.33 MB

And as she sits waiting on the final bits..

Name:  IMG_0313_3.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  1.55 MB

Thanks for watching...
    Last edited by HammerXS750S; 09-05-2019 at 01:23 PM.

good lord...the stock xs750 is literally the worst motorcyle I have ever owned and the only one I ever owned where after a 30 minute ride I thought..."This thing fucking sucks. That ride was no fun. This bike has to get out of my garage asap." And you have not improved it's performance or looks at all. I really hope someone will let you ride their nice bike so you can realize what you are missing.

Newbie Warning From WV.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbarney41 View Post
    good lord...the stock xs750 is literally the worst motorcyle I have ever owned and the only one I ever owned where after a 30 minute ride I thought..."This thing fucking sucks. That ride was no fun. This bike has to get out of my garage asap." And you have not improved it's performance or looks at all. I really hope someone will let you ride their nice bike so you can realize what you are missing.
    LOL.. Thanks for you encouraging words.. Glad to see everyone here stops by to help and for support. Warms my heart.

If I wanted performance I would probably ride one of these and not a 40 year old bike.. But that is me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HammerXS750S; 09-07-2019 at 05:01 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links