This is where Im at... - Page 11
Close

This is where Im at...

This is a discussion on This is where Im at... within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I haven't seen a fuse in real life or in the diagram. I have the Goldwing book,,, hot out of the mail box. I get ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: This is where Im at...

I haven't seen a fuse in real life or in the diagram. I have the Goldwing book,,, hot out of the mail box.

I get volts right up to the fan plug... craziest thing. I would say bad plug but I space into the fan wiring and get it turning - but only off the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPoorJay View Post
    I haven't seen a fuse in real life or in the diagram. I have the Goldwing book,,, hot out of the mail box.

I get volts right up to the fan plug... craziest thing. I would say bad plug but I space into the fan wiring and get it turning - but only off the battery.
    If the fan is known to work and you have volts right up to the socket where it pugs in check your ground. Fans are rubber isolated for vibration and motors need a real good ground because it draws a lot of power. Also see if you can do a continuity test between the fan and the battery + as well as the continuity between the fan ground and the battery - post.

How much different is your bike from this guys bike?
    https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt...p?f=19&t=20238

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Fan motor is grounded through the thermo switch. The switch (on earlier GL's and probably on this one) shares the same ground as the ignition system, so if the bike runs its not the main ground terminal for that particular circuit. It could be a break in the ground wire itself. Check continuity between the green wire that goes into the thermo switch and a known good ground.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I'm not so good with electrics... I need to get learning... I will do the best I can. Are you basically saying to test the ground on the fan with the meter red to a known 12v source? Like I'd go from the 12v battery source with thebred MM lead and check "continuity" by touching the black lead to what should be the fan ground?

Pardon my ignorance here but yeah,,, I'm unashamed... What choice do I have, lol

And trails,,, there is a lot to digest in that thread. I'll take a better look when I get to a desktop or laptop... Think is,,, I could know MY bike as well to give a right answer. But I will take a look.

I'm working from this book. Slooooowly, lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JayPoorJay View Post
    I'm not so good with electrics... I need to get learning... I will do the best I can. Are you basically saying to test the ground on the fan with the meter red to a known 12v source? Like I'd go from the 12v battery source with thebred MM lead and check "continuity" by touching the black lead to what should be the fan ground?

Pardon my ignorance here but yeah,,, I'm unashamed... What choice do I have, lol
    No.... do you have a multimeter? If not, you need one. Check out YouTube and watch a few videos on multimeters and how to check continuity etc. In this case you aren't looking for a specific voltage, you are just confirming the circuit is complete and that the ground wire isn't broken, damaged or disconnected.

This one isn't too bad... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUK6RPdIrA
    Last edited by Cyorg; 12-18-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

https://mightyohm.com/blog/2008/12/t...-ever-written/ <- this really is possibly one of the best electronics book ever written for beginners.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Sponsored Links