This is where Im at... - Page 2
Close

This is where Im at...

This is a discussion on This is where Im at... within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Ran into a guy a couple of years back that had a 78 gl1000. Original owner, really old guy. Had over 350k on the clock. ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: This is where Im at...

Ran into a guy a couple of years back that had a 78 gl1000. Original owner, really old guy.
    Had over 350k on the clock. He only added a windshield and saddlebags.
    Said he had never done anything but routine maintenance.

All the bikes I have ever seen with over 100K miles were:
    - touring bmws (esp old airheads)
    - goldwings
    - Harley electra glides and other big twin tourers
    - 1 vincent (I think the guy has 700,000 miles on it now).
    - kawasaki concours.

anyway, I guess the new guy didn't like what he read.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 11-13-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

the original goldwing was not even promoted as a comfort tourer ,when it first came to usa
    a friend bought one and it was an awesome bike
    beautiful with those wire spoked alloy rims and candy apple red body panels
    they were not particularly overweight and handled quite nicely considering how physically large they were
    but the 1200 is a different animal entirely

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    the original goldwing was not even promoted as a comfort tourer ....
    Yes it was. Read the magazine quotes on that advert you posted.

"Honda's ultimate touring masterpiece.."

"..one of the ultimates in long distance touring.."

And so on. It may have progressed since then but it was always a big heavy machine designed to cover long distance. Now it's bigger and heavier and has more widgets and gadgets, but still true to the original design intent.

BTW, the OP seems to have left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    Yes it was. Read the magazine quotes on that advert you posted.

"Honda's ultimate touring masterpiece.."

"..one of the ultimates in long distance touring.."

And so on. It may have progressed since then but it was always a big heavy machine designed to cover long distance. Now it's bigger and heavier and has more widgets and gadgets, but still true to the original design intent.

BTW, the OP seems to have left the building.
    yes the magazines saw the potential but a quote from a former editor of cycle guide magazine on the new then goldwing
    "At Cycle Guide magazine, where I was editor at the time, we praised the bike’s smoothness and powerband but stopped short of predicting its eventual dominance as a long-ride partner. And although the GL’s promotional materials occasionally mentioned touring, Honda offered no optional saddlebags, fairing, or even a windshield".
    i think vetter first fit a fairing to the wing fairing and bags

HellO ALL!!!

All these responses are SUPER encouraging (I'll be generous, lol)... Ill have to check my "settings". I was feeling VERY alone in the universe, lol... I received no notifications (emails) telling of replies to the thread... Anywho

I ran some tests at the battery both before and after removing the fairing that first day... Before, I was getting something just over 12-somthing-V or less when running,,, after,,, something closer to an 11V,,, and a V DROP situation was going on - and it wouldn't run without a jumper. Its all good. I think the battery was completely fried and was no longer even working as a bridge to complete a circuit (if that's even how it works?).

No matter... Yesterday I dropped in a new battery,,, and BAM,,,, started right up and 14.25-14.5 - something V... It was good and she ran differently as well. Better.

Now I have some real questions about backfiring. It seems to be happening on the cylinder bank on the right-hand side (when sitting on the bike). Also, a gurgling hesitation during early throttle turn (especially when cold) and YES,,,, Overheating - the electric fan doesn't kick on. The overheating (bubbling into the reserve tank) scares me. More, I have to restore brakes. I've looked online for NEW calipers but I also noticed a lot of restoration kits with a new O-Ring and cylinder and I'm wondering which is the best way to go? Should I pull the calipers, pull the cylinders and replace the cylinder and ring - or do I have to see just how bad it is inside the caliper to know? Please understand I am seeking the CHEAPEST options where possible. The Poor in Jay"Poor"Jay aint just in jest, lol...

Question - is it convention on 'CAFERACER.NET' Forum to keep everything in the same thread OR, can ONE start a NEW thread for each issue ONE is dealing with and trying to sort out?

Thanks to everyone for your time and attention. I really mean it. The prospect of doing this alone with out the guidance, help and support of the folks who have come before me is at LEAST daunting...

Jason

ps. ill add a recent photo from yesterday HERE... Getting it down to bear bones. Got a ways to go - and time to get there - https://imgur.com/9ABh5yP
    Last edited by JayPoorJay; 11-17-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Hi Teazer... Thank you. I'm 6'4 220 and fit... Sitting on the bike,,, actually,,, it feels small. I will need to lengthen the bike (have to learn how to deal with the drive shaft and swing arm)... Ill post a couple of pictures of designs I'm aiming at below.

I dont plan on riding to work, into the city (I live in Staten Island) or this thing being my daily driver - EVER. Doesn't even sound right.

Honestly, I am very VERY surprised at the 'pessimism' of some of the others here - but I am an activist organizer, I work mainly in impoverished communities, been doing what I do for 25+ years so I am used to pessimism and discouragement at offering ideas, thinking about whats possible and facing challenges - and stuff. No big deal.

Believe me, I have searched, and I have seen hundreds of pictures of racer projects made off the gl1200 and other GL bases.

I remain excited. As for the list of costs below - I pray, PRAY, to get to get off as cheaply - and the 560lb weight I think would be great for me...

First off, forget the cafe crap. The bike you own is worth maybe $2500 if it is like..perfect, okay?
    If you have the ability to rebuild the carbs it is going to cost you about $250 just for the rebuild kits.
    Timing belts will cost another $60 to $70.
    The suspension is mushy so rebuilding the forks with just new seals and progressive springs will run another $150.
    The rear shocks are another $250.
    So you've got $700 in it and you haven't bought tires yet. Avon has some good ones, another $300.
    We're up to a grand and you haven't "modified" anything. If you have to pay someone to rebuild the carbs you can add another $300.

The 1200's were notorious for burning up stators, so good luck with that.
    If the previous owner ('s) added things like radio, cb, lights etc. your wiring harness could be a nightmare. There isn't alot of cost
    in fixing it but mountains of frustration if it is a hack job.

Name:  20181116_144605.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  298.3 KB
    Name:  Honda-Goldwing-Gold-Wing-Cafe-Bobber-Cafe-Racer-GL1200-Street-Fighter.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  62.5 KB
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  440.6 KB
    Last edited by JayPoorJay; 11-17-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPoorJay View Post
    Hi Teazer... Thank you. I'm 6'4 220... Sitting on the bike,,, actually,,, it feels small. I will need to lengthen the bike... Ill post a couple of pictures of designs I'm aiming at.

Name:  Honda-Goldwing-Gold-Wing-Cafe-Bobber-Cafe-Racer-GL1200-Street-Fighter.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  62.5 KB
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  440.6 KB

Both of those are horrible bikes that do not get ridden. They are show queens. They look pretty, but I guarantee they haven't turned a wheel in anger. First clue is the absence of lights, second clue is the absence of any tire wear. Finally nothing has been done to alleviate the flex that will be induced into the swing arm by the relocation of the shock mounting points. And in a swing arm that doubles as a drive shaft housing (or, torque tube)

Name:  Swingarm Forces.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  32.0 KB

Oh, and BTW, I don't think EITHER of those bikes has been lengthened.
    Last edited by 8ball; 11-17-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    TrialsRider and woodsman like this.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Ya, you can't relocate the suspension points like that on a hub that was never designed to withstand those forces :|
    your rear wheel is in serious likely danger of catastrophic failure,
    seen a bunch of BMW's tarted like that too, the shock mounting point is the shock mounting point, deal with that part or be prepared to experience catastrophic failure.

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    what needs welding ?
    The is NO doubt in my mind that in reshaping and modifying aspects of this project,,, the need to weld will present itself... No doubt.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links