This is where Im at... - Page 3
Close

This is where Im at...

This is a discussion on This is where Im at... within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; UMM, THE "WAR BIRD" BIKE IS FOR SALE TOOK THIS OFF THE NET AFTER AND EASY SEARCH ABOUT THE "WAR BIRD" I USED AS AN ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: This is where Im at...

UMM, THE "WAR BIRD" BIKE IS FOR SALE
    TOOK THIS OFF THE NET AFTER AND EASY SEARCH ABOUT THE "WAR BIRD" I USED AS AN EXAMPLE....
    LINK --- Bobber Cafe Racer Honda Goldwing WAR BIRD

Description
    This is a very nice example of a customized Goldwing. 1987 GL1200 Goldwing Interstate model. Now customized as the War Bird. Bike was always kept in service up until the time of transformation. Last mechanical service was the usual oil. filter and plugs. Also. timing belts were replaced. This bike is serious. Back in 2002. I bought a new Bandit 1200 and had the shop re-jet and install a Yoshimura pipe. I would say that this Goldwing matches its power exactly. and I believe it would also have an advantage on top end. Bike has been pared down to a scant 484 lbs. . which means fun and fast. I don't mean to overplay the performance. but when considering a stock Goldwing over this one. the fun factor far exceeds a stock Goldwing's original performance. I have included in pics some other Goldwings that I have customized. They were all done around the same idea of less weight. more horsepower. This Goldwing has many upgraded bits that you would appreciate. Vintage styled headlight with high/low beam. Horn is new replacement. It is mounted up front. hidden from view. but not blocked as to affect the decibel output. Both levers and perches are new hydraulic with 1 thru 6 adjusters. Both are set on 4. Feels very comfortable. but that is an individual's determination. Tires are Dunlop sport/touring. Front is a 130. which used to be the size for the rear on the older Goldwings. and rear is a fat 170. That is the absolute biggest tire I could fit. Looks very good from the back. Bike has many electrical upgrades. Also running a K&N air filter. Valve covers have been shaved and painted with a durable texture coat. Running vintage aftermarket plug wires with new NGK caps. Solo seat is new replacement. Front forks are air driven. Rear shocks are air assist with S&W springs. Very nice set-up. Currently running 15 psi up front and 20 psi in the back. Is working out very good for around town riding. New War Bird tail light with pulsating brake light. Ignition is mounted to the left of the bike. as seen in one of the pics. It is of the car type. Just turn the key to start. and release. Also. near the key to the left is the air inlet for the rear shocks. It has a Magnum tumbler cover. Front fork air valves are individual. Gas tank is painted with a matte black and orange. War Bird emblem is vinyl. Can be left as is or easily taken off. Pretty much. as you can see. there has been a lot of time and attention to detail. Not a show bike. Never meant to be. Just looks good. I'm sure there are some details that I may have missed. If you have any questions. please feel free to ask. COMES WITH CLEAR TITLE AND SIGNED BILL OF SALE. Winning bidder has 30 days to arrange pick-up. If new owner needs more time. please contact us. We will easily work something out. Bike will be stored safely indoors.

Also published at eBay.com

One good bump and that swingarm is going to bend like nobody's business. It's been a while since I've taken statics/dynamics, but the force being applied at the point where the shocks mount to the swingarm is wayyyy higher than what it would be if they were mounted at the axle.
    Even if the swingarm has been braced enough, you're now looking at the forces being applied to the seat mount, which looks like it will snap right off the backbone of the frame if enough force is applied to the back wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

at this point im really just at the most preliminary stages of anything... i still have high hopes... this is a good thing and i am only excited about whats possible...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Copy what randakk did on his monster GL. Can't go wrong with that
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPoorJay View Post
    at this point im really just at the most preliminary stages of anything... i still have high hopes... this is a good thing and i am only excited about whats possible...

well the first thing is do not spend money on anything until you can verify that the bike overasll is in excellent mechanical condion
    if you cant get it running with fresh fuel and a good battery then be ready to spend a thousand or 2 to get it on the road
    like has been said everything that is rubber needs replacing all you can hope for is an engine and drivetrain in perfect working condition because the rubber bits and friction materials are gonna be well north of 600
    just to get it on the road
    find somebody that is into these wings and sell it at a loss if you must and just walk away
    you are not really a moron but are if you do not move on
    if you want a cafe racer possible bike to modify ,get a running simple bike a single cylinder 2 stroke is a great one to learn how to tune.... get a good running one or 2 or three of the same one as parts bikes for spares
    as long as it is stock
    find something like a dt250/360/400 yamaha
    simple to work on and once running and safe easily can be made quick on the road even capable of vintage roadracing
    albeit the rotax powered canam has by far the best 2 stroke single engine ever made
    the rotary valve kawasaki 2t singles can be quite quick as well

a man has got to be aware of his limitations
    get some old mc magazines from the 60's and 70's and read them pay attention to any tuning shit
    peterson publications is one to get
    kid you need to read and soak up some common sense tech

Last edited by XB33BSA; 11-17-2018 at 01:53 PM.

[QUOTE=JayPoorJay;628429]HellO ALL!!!

Now I have some real questions about backfiring. It seems to be happening on the cylinder bank on the right-hand side (when sitting on the bike). Also, a gurgling hesitation during early throttle turn (especially when cold) and YES,,,, Overheating - the electric fan doesn't kick on. The overheating (bubbling into the reserve tank) scares me. More, I have to restore brakes. I've looked online for NEW calipers but I also noticed a lot of restoration kits with a new O-Ring and cylinder and I'm wondering which is the best way to go? Should I pull the calipers, pull the cylinders and replace the cylinder and ring - or do I have to see just how bad it is inside the caliper to know? Please understand I am seeking the CHEAPEST options where possible. The Poor in Jay"Poor"Jay aint just in jest, lol...

You need to pull apart the calipers and M/C. Clean and inspect them carefully for corrosion in the important areas. Then you will know if you only need the rubber bits or perhaps pistons. or you need to spend some real money. Before you spend money on anything you need to sort out the bubbling in the overflow tank. That should scare you. Probably why the thing was parked in the first place. Leaking head gasket? Frozen and cracked? It is absolutely pointless to spend any money until you figure out what is going on there. It is possible the backfiring is related, but you can worry about that after you finish worrying about the bubbling and overheating.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

has anyone actually seen a swingarm like that bend or crack? i'm just curious, because it just looks like a disaster waiting to happen, but i wonder how long it takes to go to shit in use.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    has anyone actually seen a swingarm like that bend or crack? i'm just curious, because it just looks like a disaster waiting to happen, but i wonder how long it takes to go to shit in use.
    I don't think the bend would be obvious. I think it would bend in a way that the driveshaft would rub against the swingarm tube... That would probably put a lot of stress on both ends of the driveshaft and lead to eventual (catastrophic?) failure

See the danger here :|

... that empty hole below the brake caliber is suppose to have a lower shock and spring mount attached to it, now the entire motorcycle is being carried on 4 bolts,
    4 bolts that are much smaller then the four bolts holding the rim on :| he has created a perfect scenario for catastrophic failure, it won't bend the bolt heads will shear off and bye-bye rear wheel.

Granted the Honda has 2 arms so self destruct Might give a little more warning and wiggle a few times before you are riding the hard parts.

I wouldn't say those GL's as they come stock have a problem in the handling department. They are what they are... but if I had one and wanted it to be more stable and forgiving in the corners while acting like a fool, I would want to add some bracing/gussets around the swing arm pivot points and also on the swingarm itself. I believe that is where a lot of the flexing comes from. The tube on the swingarm (the one the drive shaft passes through) has some internal bracing, at least the earlier ones did and it could probably use some external bracing. It's not so much the swingarm itself (in those photos) that scares me, it's the fact that support for the swingarm pivots has been severely compromised by hacking the rear of the frame off. Having an "oh shit" moment in the middle of a curve and backing off the throttle can sometimes make one of those things shake in its stock form. Probably the closest I've ever come to meeting my maker. You wouldn't get me on one of those abortions.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links