Old man and a VF750 Sabre
Close

This is a discussion on Old man and a VF750 Sabre within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello, Well..... I picked the bike up for about $300..... so far I’ve cleaned the carbs is about it.... but I’m not sure what to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Old man and a VF750 Sabre

Hello,

Well..... I picked the bike up for about $300..... so far I’ve cleaned the carbs is about it.... but I’m not sure what to do with it......
    Name:  F6055190-C24B-4E8B-A3F8-B7ABFC582968_1547567609731.jpeg
Views: 195
Size:  2.79 MBName:  74719380-BA67-4624-901E-6253C7FFDB65_1547567560679.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  2.06 MB
    I’ve been riding for about 40 years and picked this up because it was a bike I wanted in my younger days... it came complete with a Hondaline fairing..... but.... I’m not sure I want to go back to original. It just looks too bulky.....

When I was a kid... I started to make a CB175 into a cafe racer (....which meant I bought a JC WHITNEY fairing and “racing” bars”.... I thought I might try it again...

Unfortunately I’ve rebuilt cars and tractors, but never a motorcycle.... Do you think the Sabre would be a bit too much ?????
    Brad Bachelor
    "Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Current: 2018 CBR300

Former Rides: 1971 Honda CT90, 1973 Honda CB175, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1981 Honda CM200T, 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo,1983 Honda VF750S, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1989 CBR600F1, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2006 Suzuki GZ250, 2014 Honda CTX700N

I'd leave the cafe racer aspirations for now and focus on getting it running reliably and safely. Does it have a title? That could be a job stopper for most of us.

If it runs, it will probably need new tires and cables and a carb strip ( I don't know what your carb clean included) and that assumes the motor is OK. If it runs, give it a complete service and fresh rubber and go and ride it when the weather allows that. While you are racking up the miles, that's the time to think about things you want to change.

Thanks.... yes I’ve done the carb strip... Diaphrams look good and all..... I am a little worried about syncing them (....since everything else I have done has had one carb).
    I understand what you are saying about getting it running first.....and I will. It’s just if I go to the V4 site they will all say to restore it (having searched other posts). To me, this is a common production bike right? ....and the motor has some cam issues? I’m wondering if it’s worth messing with, or should I look at a CB or CX...

This is a throwaway bike for me. I have one right now I’m using to get around. I’m just wondering am I going to be throwing bad money after bad.
    Thanks,
    Brad
    -edited to add... yes it has a title
    Brad Bachelor
    "Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Former Rides: 1971 Honda CT90, 1973 Honda CB175, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1981 Honda CM200T, 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo,1983 Honda VF750S, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1989 CBR600F1, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2006 Suzuki GZ250, 2014 Honda CTX700N

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If it has enormous sentimental value to you then by all means go ahead and restore it. To me, it doesn't seem like a very collectible bike, so it falls into a category of don't spend a fortune on it, but make it fun.

For example it would be difficult to turn into a lightweight cafe racer, but would work well as a road sled, muscle bike. If it were mine, I'd look at fitting a different seat and rear fender to lighten the look and I'd replace the gauges with a simple modern Koso or similar. Maybe move the pegs back a little and fit a set of superbike bars and a coat f paint. The seat matches the rear of the tank so maybe look at modifying that stock seat to make it more like a Corbin gunfighter or superbike race seat but classy.

She's a big girl but that doesn't mean she couldn't lose a little weight, change her clothes and makeup (bodywork and paint) and be taught how to dance. Research the cam issue and if necessary, you might be able to fit a set of hardfaced cams. Don't go mad though. She still has to tiptoe through traffic.
    CaTacL1sm likes this.

surely if it is still running it'd have had the cam mods done by now?

you'd not be the first to try to turn a chopper into a cafe racer. been a few of these here. mostly the owners talk like you have about the cheap throwaway thing, then throw away some money in a half arsed attempt to turn it in to something it's not. to make it anything you'll need to sink come cash into it. of course it's not worth it, it's a shitbox old honda. look at steveo's 500 quid honda thread to see how fast they consume cash. but, any old bike you care to mention, even those fucking cx shitboxes, will consume a heap of money done well. most aren't.

but if you want to impress us (or yourself, i mean really caring what we actually think is not something i give a shit about) you'll spend at least $1,500 on tyres/suspension/brakes/chassis and make it turn and stop. tune it well, then add lightness. shitcan all the heavy bodywork, instruments, etc. well set up - ie, good shock, forks with emulators/shim inserts, good tyres, well tuned - it'll be a bike that can ride around lots of current things pretty easily. and fun.

and that's the point. none of the money we spend on our old bikes is worth it. but it's fun. people waste money doing all sorts of shit. we do bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    If it were mine, I'd look at fitting a different seat and rear fender to lighten the look and I'd replace the gauges with a simple modern Koso or similar. Maybe move the pegs back a little and fit a set of superbike bars and a coat f paint. The seat matches the rear of the tank so maybe look at modifying that stock seat to make it more like a Corbin gunfighter or superbike race seat but classy.
    That’s kind of what I was thinking. Maybe some more a the classic look analog gauges than the Kosos (I did a quick search and only came up with the digital) and probably a round headlight. Nothing big in the mod department right off.
    50,000 miles on that motor bothers me a bit. Before I got this bike every other one has been air cooled and I wouldn’t look at anything over 20k miles.

edited to add- I did have a CBR600F1 16 years ago, so I guess this is my second water cooled bike.
    Last edited by bachelorb; 01-16-2019 at 06:07 AM.
    Brad Bachelor

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    surely if it is still running it'd have had the cam mods done by now?

you'd not be the first to try to turn a chopper into a cafe racer. been a few of these here. mostly the owners talk like you have about the cheap throwaway thing, then throw away some money in a half arsed attempt to turn it in to something it's not. to make it anything you'll need to sink come cash into it. of course it's not worth it, it's a shitbox old honda. look at steveo's 500 quid honda thread to see how fast they consume cash. but, any old bike you care to mention, even those fucking cx shitboxes, will consume a heap of money done well. most aren't.

but if you want to impress us (or yourself, i mean really caring what we actually think is not something i give a shit about) you'll spend at least $1,500 on tyres/suspension/brakes/chassis and make it turn and stop. tune it well, then add lightness. shitcan all the heavy bodywork, instruments, etc. well set up - ie, good shock, forks with emulators/shim inserts, good tyres, well tuned - it'll be a bike that can ride around lots of current things pretty easily. and fun.

and that's the point. none of the money we spend on our old bikes is worth it. but it's fun. people waste money doing all sorts of shit. we do bikes.
    Ha..... Don’t worry..... I’ll try not to impress y’all too much with my skills ... I’m mostly lookin for a hobby and just couldn’t pass up the bike. What you said about suspension and feel is ALL about what I want... with a little acceleration in the straightaways to get the heart pumping a little...
    My canyon racing days are over.... I don’t have the nerve for it anymore.. if I hit a curve at 10 over the posted speed limit I’m smiling......
    soooo.... I’ve got the bike, and it sounds like not a terrible choice. I might give er a go.....

I think where I really might impress you guys is with the integrated luggage rack.......
    Brad Bachelor

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorb View Post
    ... I think where I really might impress you guys is with the integrated luggage rack.......
    Good luck with that, if I want to carry luggage I drive my truck.
    If it was my nickel I would get it running decent, turn it into a solo ride, label it a cafe racer and flog it to some kid who doesn't know any better.
    ... or learn everything you can from unclerob and build it a decent frame.

TrialsRider never leaves home without his wardrobe.
    Name:  mike-helton-honda-vtx-2-big.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  318.8 KB
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorb View Post
    Ha..... Don’t worry..... I’ll try not to impress y’all too much with my skills ... I’m mostly lookin for a hobby and just couldn’t pass up the bike. What you said about suspension and feel is ALL about what I want... with a little acceleration in the straightaways to get the heart pumping a little...
    My canyon racing days are over.... I don’t have the nerve for it anymore.. if I hit a curve at 10 over the posted speed limit I’m smiling......
    soooo.... I’ve got the bike, and it sounds like not a terrible choice. I might give er a go.....

I think where I really might impress you guys is with the integrated luggage rack.......
    then clean it up and make it run nice and ride it. it's old and so ugly all the kids will think it's retro cool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links