North Carolina Here -
Close

North Carolina Here -

This is a discussion on North Carolina Here - within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Y'all know the difference in us NC rednecks and the rest of ya I'm sure - as opposed to the ONE you guys have- we're ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: North Carolina Here -

South East North Carolina - anywhere but the left coast.

North Carolina Here -

Y'all know the difference in us NC rednecks and the rest of ya I'm sure - as opposed to the ONE you guys have- we're the ones with TWO refrigerators on OUR front porch. Well, at least until another hurricane with a name beginning with an "F" comes along and blows them away. I'm a 60 year old handyman service tech and small buisiness owner who has had to move due to hurricane Florence most recently and was also out of work for 4 months with a foot injury that refused to heal due to diabetic complications, so, needless to say I don't ride that much anymore. I started hanging out as a kid at a Kawasaki dealership back in the 70's till the manager realized he couldn't run me off so he hired me. I rode a little local flat track and motocross back then also, although, I'll admit, I wasn't very good - I just loved the boots, kidney belts and atmosphere in the back of vans with Hodaka Super-Rat 2 cycle smoke and whatever that other cloud of smoke hanging around us was...Thank God that part of those days is long gone. I did mechanic work from then on but not exclusively on motorcycles. I worked in Ford, Chevy and Nissan dealerships and operated my own garage for a while. I've also owned a few bikes in my time from Kawasakis to Harleys, Hondas a Suzuki and 1 contraction I built myself with plumbing supply equipment and a leaf blower JK Pete82 - So, long story short, since I had to move to another part of town once again due to hurricane Florence and unable to get out and work publically as much, and seeing as my new home has a 20'x30' shop I've decided to resort to my old passion and work on a few bikes to ride, restore, mod and sell. Thanks for allowing me to share.
    Last edited by sonsothunder; 04-07-2019 at 12:39 AM.
    TrialsRider likes this.

Don’t get all uppity cuz you got TWO fridges on th’ porch. Y’all may have yer hurry-canes with their special names, an’ such. But over here on the other side o’ the hill in Tennessee, all we gots is tore-nados and turn-ados. Know what the difference is? A ”tore-nado” is one what come thru town an’ tore ever thing up. A “turn-ado” is one that comes thru an’ turns all the trailers upside down!

Welcome, feller!!!
    woodsman and sonsothunder like this.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

I lived in Cleveland, Tennessee for a few years a while back- I dated that girl next door- the one with 3 fridges on the porch. I think her name was Tornado also.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Did you ever have the pleasure of working on one of those Hodaka ball receiver or whatever you want to call it transmissions? Honda developed a transmission for their MotoGP bike that used a sort of similar principal. Actually kind of a neat concept. A Hodaka gearbox would be nice to have on the mill so changing speeds wouldn't involve moving v-belts and skinning knuckles.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Did you ever have the pleasure of working on one of those Hodaka ball receiver or whatever you want to call it transmissions? Honda developed a transmission for their MotoGP bike that used a sort of similar principal. Actually kind of a neat concept. A Hodaka gearbox would be nice to have on the mill so changing speeds wouldn't involve moving v-belts and skinning knuckles.
    Only worked on the shift cover, bushings, and replaced the ball receiver springs- All which - to your point- were easily accessed and repaired externally. I still love the memories of those bikes- the Combat Wombat- The B- RAT- and the Super Rat of course - there were some others I only heard about and never saw- Maybe I will one day. I think the Ace 100 was the predecessor of the Super Rat and must have been a beauty to watch.

Name:  Hodaka100MagicRR.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  53.6 KB

I worked at a shop that sold Hodaka. Actually calling it a shop is a bit of a stretch. Parts of it were dirt floor and i don't recall any plumbing. Never spent any time working on them though and only worked there long enough to have something on my resume relating to motorcycles. For a shop in the middle of nowhere it did have a few interesting bikes in the showroom, Black Shadow, early Velocette 500 single, Indian 101, it was a bit of a museum. One of my first jobs was doing the top end on a Norton OHC flat tracker. There was another guy who did most of the Hodaka stuff. One of my few memories of him was when he had to leave work early to head to the doctors office after announcing he had the clap for the 22nd time. Not sure how he still had the brain capacity to do one of those gearboxes.

You will need to keep a close eye on your apprentice there. I have one of those who just turned 2. The hammer is his favourite tool... a while back I looked down the clutch cable access hole and found he had stuffed some of his plastic nuts and bolts down there.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

At least the aptitude is in the right place! - This 1 is my second grandchild- Her brother is like 9 and only knows video games. I'm CompTIA A+ certified but rarely get any computer work these days- everyone on the phone and all. Maybe he's learning stuff from that gaming niche I'll never understand- Kids Do. I was certtified with GM back in *95 when all diagnostics went GM and OBD-2 but that's a whole other world now as well.

Good stuff here. I almost took a job at UNC-Pembroke, but opted to take the job I'm in now, in Augusta, GA.

Cool irk- My Ma-n-Dem live in Indian Springs Georgia. I have lots of relatives there-believe me, there's SO MUCH MORE going on in Georgia than in Pembroke North Carolina - Pembroke and Lumberton, Red Springs Maxton- that area can be rough too- what with all the hostile natives and all- I can say that cause I are one- Well, only on Mondays.

Quote Originally Posted by sonsothunder View Post
    Cool irk- My Ma-n-Dem live in Indian Springs Georgia. I have lots of relatives there-believe me, there's SO MUCH MORE going on in Georgia than in Pembroke North Carolina - Pembroke and Lumberton, Red Springs Maxton- that area can be rough too- what with all the hostile natives and all- I can say that cause I are one- Well, only on Mondays.
    Ha. A guy I coach football and baseball with is Lumbee from that area- he and his wife- a Hunt and Locklear. I can't imagine you've ever met a Lumbee named Locklear. LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links