F@ck Old Guys!! - Page 2
Close

[email protected] Old Guys!!

This is a discussion on [email protected] Old Guys!! within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I appreciate the commentary. The best advice for the inexperienced is "do no harm". The coolest looking bike is worthless if it can't be thrown ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: [email protected] Old Guys!!

I appreciate the commentary. The best advice for the inexperienced is "do no harm". The coolest looking bike is worthless if it can't be thrown into a corner with confidence. Buy a bike that can accept a seat you like without modification to the frame/subframe. Fix your leaking fork seals before spending money on doodads and trinkets. Changing the look of a bike to suit your taste is cool; making it go faster, stop and handle better is way cooler. If your first "build" involves an angle grinder, you are probably taking the wrong road. Removing fenders, adding aftermarket lighting tanks and seats can all be undone. I enjoy seeing new interpretations of classic bikes.

This place is pretty tame and understanding compared to the 4x4 site I frequent

Interesting thread, some of you guys have expressed shared thoughts much better than I would have.

Geeto mentioned value in knowledge. That's a biggie for me. (I had long rambling comments on this stuff but deleted them since I haven't got time to tidy them up right now)

So many newbs want answers but don't care about the whys or why nots. Beliefs are as valid as facts to some people and that's what I find disturbing. Just because you don't understand why it's a bad idea does not negate the fact that it's a bad idea.

"the less you know about a subject, the more confident you are in undertaking it" I'm convinced most of those self proclaimed experts in ANY field are so confident of themselves because they have a very poor understanding of how much they don't know. One of the biggest lessons learned in getting an engineering degree should be a better awareness of how much you don't know. Some people seem downright proud of being ignorant. It's a badge of honor. That scares me...
    Last edited by DesmoDog; 05-08-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    540nova likes this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

ya f*ck the old guys :| wait, I'm the old f*ck,
    lol and if you are really lucky you will get to be an old f*ck too.

Geeto's not salty he's succinct.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 05-08-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: stupid spell check

I should have added that this end of the hobby, custom motorcycles, requires you to have balance of goal and ID focus, but in the right measures and areas. Approaching it from as a learning experience to enrich your life will give you the drive to finish but being flexible enough to keep realigning your methods and goals to get you to the end experience you want. And that's the thing you have to remember - these inanimate objects are here to deliver an experience first and fore most - be it a learning one, or a traveling one. A bike is no good if it isn't enriching your life and perspective and it can't do that statically.

Now, can we talk about why I hate the "built not Bought" mantra? I get the enthusiasm behind it, this idea that the work is the craft, and that the people who really want to "build" something want to enrich their lives by managing a fairly medium scale project to completion. But I don't like that it requires shitting on the other element of this hobby - the cost aspect. Somehow the people who "bought" are inferior is bullshit. This is an expensive hobby and the greatest things that come out of it are because people wrote checks. Erik Buell was able to make stunning production motorcycles with features that custom bike guys would emulate for decades because Harley wrote the checks, and Harley was only able to write the checks because customers wrote the checks for those bikes. The great motorcycle customizers all have customers who act as patrons to their art, just as the Italian masters had patrons like the church and the Medici family. You did something innovative and low buck? great!!!!, you paid frame crafters to make you a custom frame and then had so and so build you an engine? great too.

you don't need to shit on one aspect of the hobby to appreciate other aspects of it. Which is why newbies who burst in the door here with "built not bought" make my skin itch.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post

Geeto's not salty he's succinct.
    I suck what now?
    Last edited by Geeto67; 05-08-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    Ews likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

man, i wouldn't piss on one of those old air head shit boxes if it was on fire. don't get the desire for them.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    man, i wouldn't piss on one of those old air head shit boxes if it was on fire. don't get the desire for them.
    What's your experience with them?

I bought one and it was kind of a meh bike for me, but the more I own it the more I have come to appreciate it a lot. It's insanely simple to work on, every part is available from BMW, it's a very maintenance friendly motorcycle, and the look is growing on me. they aren't fast, but not slow (probably about as fast as my old DOHC cb750), but the low center of gravity and low speed handling is really where the bike shines. They aren't racers, but they aren't harleys, and it has a certain charm.
    jcw likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    (I had long rambling comments on this stuff but deleted them since I haven't got time to tidy them up right now)
    +1....

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    I think the real cool builders get off on building something that feels agriculturally slow into something not as slow and pulling it off.

https://46works.net/works

These guys run that fine line of aesthetics and performance the best I've seen for airheads.

https://46works.net/post/112596873629/bmw-r100s-custom

Kinda like what walt seigel does

Ews
    My question, what constitutes an "old guy"? I mean i'm only 37, but I can honestly say I have been riding motorcycles/mopeds/dirtbikes/etc... since I was 11. So for 70% of my life has been on two wheels, does that make me an old guy? Or does the fact that I had a drivers lic. when cell phones still weighed approximately 1.23 metric tons, make me an old guy?
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links