F@ck Old Guys!! - Page 6
Close

[email protected] Old Guys!!

This is a discussion on [email protected] Old Guys!! within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; When I was wandering through the scrap yards yesterday I was looking for something that I would want to fix up and ride but absolutely ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: [email protected] Old Guys!!

When I was wandering through the scrap yards yesterday I was looking for something that I would want to fix up and ride but absolutely nothing caught my fancy in the way of motorcycles, all I seen was good kneeler racing sidecar engines and suspensions :| you know you are old when you have thoughts about riding something with 3 wheels, even if it is dangerous as all hell..

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Begs the question as to why the GL500/650 isn't worth a fortune
    Because Moto Guzzi's exist and older ones aren't that unapproachable in the US price wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    because it already has the desired (sort of) rear suspension. Better frame as well. Similar to 650E, except i don't know if the E has the extra double walled stuff at the rear to support the trunk, bags and rotund passenger. Still has the ugly stamped steel bits though. I've had some interesting conversations about why that engine came into being.
    I am pretty sure, like 90% sure, that the core frame design between the cx500 & cx650 turbo and the cx650E are the same. Obviously mounting brackets are different but the core design is there. Looking at the GL500 and GL650 frame it looks like they could have been made in the same jig. All three (4?) variants use the pro-link suspension setup so it is possible that the frame has the double wall tubing to make sure the frame isn't twisting under the weight of a passenger. On my ducati with the single offset shock - ducati was very clear that a passenger cannot sit on the rear frame that isn't supported by a second shock because it causes the frame to bend out of square. When they built the two up model of the same bike in 2007 it has twin shocks but no real changes to the frame otherwise. I have to imagine that honda, in it's penny pinching ways, just used the same frame spec for all of them, which is probably why the turbo and E are known for their handling (and also the 37mm forks where as the US market cx500s and cx650s had 33mm forks - except for the "Custom" cx650C which had 39mm).

The clutch loading of the bike isn't going to change no matter what, so be it GL, CXT or CXE it's going to carry 430lbs (approx - 195KG) and that's it. People think GVWR has to do with suspension but really suspensions are designed to take three to 4 times the shock loading in weight due to bumps - it's whether the clutch and trans can hold pulling that much weight along at highway speeds. The GL can't carry more than a cx650E, the engine, trans, and clutch isn't any different it just makes it easier carry 430lbs with all it's various trunks.

I have heard lots of stories about the cx engine origin as well, primary of them being that it was meant as a direct competitor to the smaller moto guzzi's and the R65 bmw where honda felt it had a gap. they may have also seen a chance to take a bite out of HD's beginner sportster. The original cx500 made 48hp out of 497cc's - 4 more than an R65 and 883 sporty and the same as a V50 II. It was right in the sweet spot of the middleweight V-twin market. It is all speculation though. I feel like the CX500 and variants are proof that no matter how functional a motorcycle is, if it ain't pretty it won't have legs to survive. Be still your beating heart because I am going to say nice things about the CX500: The cx500 when new or less than 20 years old was a very capable motorcycle in stock form. The forks were awful, and the rear shocks left something to be desired, but it was reliable, relatively low maintenance as long as it was kept running, and handled way better than it had any right to. I saw many a rider on one do things on that bike that I would never have believed had I not seen it in person. that being said, it was still a 500lb 48hp bike that was worth dick in the 90's and 3rd anf 4th owners abused the heck out of them. I often joke that in the 90's they were the low level dirtbag/pot dealer bike of choice in NYC and for good reason - they were short, nimble, capable, and easily overlooked. The engine was and still is as ugly as they come and that's probably why we saw a 6 year production run and didn't see a second gen in 1984. Again all speculation on my part.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 05-13-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Yes very similar frames. Not sure about the double wall thing. Only know for sure the GL had it. Some photos show the Turbo and 650E having the same (almost identical) frame, as the GL, but I think in some cases the photos may be interchanged with GL... because there are also photos (that appear to be from the parts book) that show the rear section of the frame is different on the E. Could be model year change or from another market Either way.. all it was is a tube slid within the rear tubes. The inner tubes were about a ft long and just went past the intersection of the down tube. Holes were drilled in the outer and the inners were tacked in place. Basically took the tube from (roughly) .065 to .120
    Gone on mine due to dietary constraints as it no longer serves any purpose. No bags, no trunk, no passenger...... but properly tied together to prevent any undue twitching or skin loss.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

honda did that trick on a lot of frames though. Some SOHC frames and the DOHC F models have that same setup as well. I remember years ago an angle grinder happy newbie complaining about how hard it was to cut through his cb750F frame so close to the shock mounts, lol.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

It's 2019 now snowflakes, go join some cafe ricer group on facepage like the rest of the nubs if you can't take a little scrutiny.

and your little dog too! lol

You know the difference between kids and old guys,
    Kids don't really want to learn about stuff they just want the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    You know the difference between kids and old guys,
    Kids don't really want to learn about stuff they just want the answer.

That's bullshit, there are equally lazy old guys too, they just know not to stand their ground and pick a fight when they get told no.

Edit: Fixed a hilarious autocorrect mistake made by posting from an ipad.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 05-20-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Thats bullshit"mothers are equally lazy old guys too, they just know not to stand their ground and pick a fight when they get told no
    I love how when I was growing up, all the adults would say "don't believe everything you read on the internet" and "Wikipedia isn't a source."
    Yet now those same adults are explaining to me that facebook told them there's a pedophile ring in the basement of a pizza parlor.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

lol You're dating yourself, computers and internet are a recent innovation, we were taught to use a slide rule :| and if you didn't learn well your teacher might even hit you with it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Sponsored Links