F@ck Old Guys!!
Close

[email protected] Old Guys!!

This is a discussion on [email protected] Old Guys!! within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; F*ck old guys. I have not posted but I have read plenty here. I've observed that the old guys are pretty sh!tty to the new ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: [email protected] Old Guys!!

[email protected] Old Guys!!

F*ck old guys. I have not posted but I have read plenty here. I've observed that the old guys are pretty sh!tty to the new guys. A kid buys a Seca or a CX500 and aspires to learn about motorcycles and old guys sh!t on his dreams of being a “builder”. Sure, maybe this aspiration was brought on by watching some stupid TV show and the kid's tool box is his mom's butter knife and a pair of pliers. But he's a kid that has chosen an interest in what we love — riding, maintaining and customizing motorcycles. Let's encourage him to be part of our tradition.

That said, I appreciate the frustration with folks over-utilizing the angle grinder, brown ebay seats and zip tied fairings. While the sarcasm on here has made me spit my beer/coffee (depending on time of day), sometimes I feel it is misdirected. The number of motorcyclists is decreasing. The number of motorcyclists that maintain their own machines is down to a tiny minority. I know there is great value in a young man who has gained knowledge through his own mechanical project. Encourage him. Maybe dissuade him from cutting the subframe on his dad's vintage 900SS...but encourage him.

Special thanks to Geeto67 (the saltiest dog of them all). I came here because I bought a GL500 that I planned to cafe because I had seen some cool builds and I like the engine configuration. His advice to another member boasting of his find - “Open dumpster, insert motorcycle.” Haha! It took me some time to understand why...but I did. Sold it and bought an '80 R100 that I will customize but keep whole.

Young guys — There is good advice here. Don't be discouraged. Find a bike you like and make it your own.

Signed,

An old guyName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  219.5 KB
    Last edited by actionitem; 05-07-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    TrialsRider likes this.

Well there then, hopefully you feel better and we can all breath a sigh of relief. Boxers are cool. Have a great day
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Young guys - if you are being thrown shit at, throw back double.
    Big friendships in my life always came after biggest fights
    Ews likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

There is a frustration in watching someone take a decent motorcycle and make it junk. Modifying motorcycles is as old as motorcycles, when we were young most did some re &re mods to improve the bike. What we see today, in a large portion of the back yard mechanic population, is people with no skills or knowledge cutting and welding frames, removing suspension travel, putting on tires that are too big for the rims or not roadworthy, putting on horrible lighting, clip ons with knobby tires. One thread now is a guy who obviously does not understand anything about rear suspension but feels qualified to cut it apart and fabricate a new one, he's doing this because he likes the look better.

The problem I feel is they don't want to learn about bikes, they want to be told the hack job they are planning is going to be wonderful. It really stems from the younger generations belief that all that glitters IS gold.
    540nova likes this.

First I'm 32 and I don't know how old you all are but I don't care, I feel young

Second, I rather tell somebody that what he's doing is dangerous or stupid than saying him it's nice and then let him risk his bones with a badly modified motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post

The problem I feel is they don't want to learn about bikes, they want to be told the hack job they are planning is going to be wonderful. It really stems from the younger generations belief that all that glitters IS gold.
    While I agree with this statement, I feel that an explanation is needed. I think it's safe to say that the cause of this infatuation is due to the internet making it easy for people to share information. The problem is a picture is much more satisfying to look at than reading a project log. You wind up (over successive project generations) distilling a very complex and well thought out race bike/replica into it's core visual components.
    Throw in the dunning-krueger effect (where the less you know about a subject, the more confident you are in undertaking it) and you wind up with today's hipster-bait motorcycles.

I think rather than a generation problem it's a technology problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Ews
    Well I'm only 37 so I am offended sir!! I shall retire to my safe space and read me some PipeBurn
    540nova likes this.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

I don't know if it is an "old guy"/ "Young Guy" problem so much as it is "experience" and "ego" problem.

I am 41 and I think I was 27 when I joined this forum. However, At that time I had been riding since I was 15, and had a fantastic real life network of way more experienced racers, riders, and fabricators to rely on. In the real world i have helped many get their license and even helped build real world communities that thrive.

So what do I mean about experience and ego? well from my own personal experience, Most people who are experienced want to share what they are doing with others and grow the hobby. However, that sharing comes with an expectation that the in-experienced will listen, ask questions, and be engaged and in some form recognize (even when questioning that knowledge) that there is value in knowledge.

Again from my own experience there are those that come into this inexperienced and generally fall into to categories: those who are goal focused and those who are ego driven. Those who are goal focused know generally where they want to be, recognize that criticism isn't personal, will ask a ton of questions, and generally do well here. The biggest point of friction is where they are unwilling to alter their goal slightly.

those who are ego driven look at this project as some form of romantic part of their ID. It is fulfilling a life goal, they think it is cool, they want to connect with something, etc...and as such they take everything personally and have a very bad time here because they "researched" it on the net and for the most part are unhappy that this romanticized notion they had about motorbikes is not right. Often they have unrealistic expectations, made incorrect assumption, and have all the drive and strength of conviction of a nun, which isn't going to be compatible with the tear your down and build you back up with knowledge philosophy that this place borrows from academia.

It's not black and while, everyone exists within the spectrum with these as the poles. I find it interesting that the internet tends to make the interactions worse because of the different expectations it sets from real life. It cheapens knowledge because access to it is so free, it levels the playing field to the point where the in-experienced think their opinions have the same value as the experienced, and it removes courtesy through providing some anonymity.

I am glad you figured things out, and I hope you are having a good time in the hobby. Remember, the internet isn't a motorbike and there is no substitute for the experience of actually riding. Be safe!
    Ews, DesmoDog and Teazer like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

"It cheapens knowledge because access to it is so free, it levels the playing field to the point where the in-experienced think their opinions have the same value as the experienced,...".Geeto

While I agree the internet is the delivery system for the poison Geeto's statement too me identifies the disease. The general assumption by many is that the thousands of hours of experience and skill, that true masters of the craft have developed, count for nothing. Any dipshit can go out buy a grinder and a cheap welder and engineer/build a motorcycle with no understanding of any system on a motorcycle, let alone how the engineers have got them to work together for 100k. The vast majority of inspirations for these builds, that are seen here, would not be saleable in Ontario and many the MTO would pull out from under the builders and plate them "Unfit".
    540nova likes this.

jcw
    good post right there...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links