Hello from UK
Close

Hello from UK

This is a discussion on Hello from UK within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello everyone. New biker from UK here, loving every minute of it. I'm wanting to learn about stripping and rebuilding a bike, not necessarily doing ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ijp

Thread: Hello from UK

ijp

Hello from UK

Hello everyone.

New biker from UK here, loving every minute of it.

I'm wanting to learn about stripping and rebuilding a bike, not necessarily doing any mods to it.

I was thinking of getting something simple like a Honda CG125, stripping it all the way down, then rebuilding it.

With that in mind I was going to buy an old, not working bike, hoping that the process of stripping and rebuilding/replacing parts as required would give me a good grounding in the future.

I know people say that free/broken bikes are a pit to throw money down, but I figure get a cheap broken bike, then there's nothing lost if I mess it up.

What are all your thoughts, advice?

2-stroke are more simple to learn then 4-stroke engines.
    & I would not recommend a non-functional motorcycle as first bike to learn to wrench on, is hard enough just keeping them running good when you know it should run.
    If you had a mentor or teacher or shop class to help it would be completely different.

Any motorcycle parts scrap yards near you? I think you guys call them bike breakers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

ijp
    Fair enough, thanks for your response TrialsRider. So you reckon best way forward is to just strip down a working bike, then put it back together again, not changing any parts.... unless of course something becomes obvious
    TrialsRider likes this.

ijp
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Any motorcycle parts scrap yards near you? I think you guys call them bike breakers.
    Yeah never thought of that, sure there's probably one near me

If you find one with crashed forks and body but the motor is intact, good chance it runs.
    Learn how do a compression test on a motor and buy or borrow the tool to do it, is the best trouble-shooting test to do on a motor that turns over but doesn't need to actually run.
    Compression is required by any internal combustion engine in order to run.

Wise to shop for 125cc bikes or those that can be easy restricted to meet your UK learner license rules, but some larger bikes can be made to work is my understanding.

Check this out! think you could build at least one working bike outa all that crap?

ijp
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Check this out! think you could build at least one working bike outa all that crap?

Ha ha, even I could manage with all that lot.... where is it

Perth Ontario Canada, close for me far from you but there are a lot more motorcycles in the UK anyway.
    Most of the old British manufactured motorcycles from here were shipped back to the UK by the container load, decades ago.

Sponsored Links