Hello from Queensland Australia
Close

This is a discussion on Hello from Queensland Australia within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; My name is Alex and am recently retired and love building things. I sold my last motorcycle a 1980 xs650 about 7 years ago and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TrialsRider
  • 1 Post By TrialsRider
  • 1 Post By gt alex
  • 1 Post By seanbarney41

Thread: Hello from Queensland Australia

My name is Alex and am recently retired and love building things. I sold my last motorcycle a 1980 xs650 about 7 years ago and felt it was time to get another bike.
    I have never owned or riden a cafe racer but felt compelled to build one.
    And chance offered up a 2002 sv650 not exactly what I was planning but after doing a few sketchs I grabed it got it running and started following my plan. It has been progressing well but since cafe racers are new to me I hope this forum can keep me on track.
    I work on a super tight budget but am a bit of a technocrat, meaning if I am building a cafe Racer it will not only have to look right but have the suspension and engine mods to perform.
    So hopefully I will learn and share from my experience (I do all work my self with what I have) and look forward to your fed back.
    Ride safe and enjoy
    Tried to add a photo but preview showed it to large hope its ok
    Attached Images Attached Images  

g'day mate, are your front forks a little bent or is it just my bad vision combined with a poorly lite photo

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    g'day mate, are your front forks a little bent or is it just my bad vision combined with a poorly lite photo
    Hi. No the forks are good, just a bad photo, just pieced it together while thinking paint schemes.
    the checkers are just paper blu tacked on. the current mission is the electrics tray.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Awesome! make sure your tray doesn't hold water.

... I think it might look pretty good in all silver metallic.
    What's the hot setup for a rear shock? Lots of people apparently race SV's.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 07-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    gt alex likes this.

Awesome! make sure your tray doesn't hold water.

... I think it might look pretty good in all silver metallic.
    What's the hot setup for a rear shock? Lots of people apparently race SV's.
    Yes the plan was black but the silver is not bad. As I said it's a budget build so I took a punt and got the best chinese shock I could find. I is 330mm (337 is std) lowered bike 3/4". Adjustable compresstion and rebound. no low speed adj.
    The spring came with the shock compound wound no specs avaliable. I didn't know how to calculate the spring rate but with the std rear it all adjusted up well static sag, 10mm total sag 38mm. I thing the
    static sag has vanished with the lighter tail, so I hope the compound wound spring will be all good still when I readjust.

If you want something to disappear from view paint it black,
    is also a fact a black object absorbs all wavelengths of light and converts it to heat.
    if you want to highlight something really cool, paint it more reflective,
    black motorcycles are totally boring, plus practically invisible at night once you guys also remove all of the safety reflectors and fit it with tiny little LED signal and tail lights.

There is an unreal number of really nice competitive sv650's that have been converted for track only racing, you could just look to the wining bikes to see what actually works,
    I would think it starts with fitting nice radial tires, better brakes and suspension components.
    Bike really needs a full fairing imho. Can't imagine they would put them on the race bikes if it didn't provide a performance advantage, race fairings are relatively cheap. You can never really make it look like a classic bike when it has mono, mags and a perimeter frame, & without a fairing imho it just looks partially disassembled.

Have fun ride safe ride lots keep it right side up :/ which in theoretical terms is completely upside down to me.
    gt alex likes this.

[/I]I would think it starts with fitting nice radial tires, better brakes and suspension components.
    Bike really needs a full fairing imho. Can't imagine they would put them on the race bikes if it didn't provide a performance advantage, race fairings are relatively cheap. You can never really make it look like a classic bike when it has mono, mags and a perimeter frame, & without a fairing imho it just looks partially disassembled.
    Thanks for that. I'm not really going down the fairing path. I like nakeds as a rule, and I know it's not the normal choice for a cafe racer but I think I am building it in the true spirit of the original cafe racers.
    I will be keeping to classic cafe lines as much as I can. But I must admit I am not sure why cafe racers are so low, I think they look great but I will only go as low as I can keeping everything working to a high standard. I think the low stance may have been to reduce frontal area to reduce drag.
    And it is in a diassembled state, when done I hope it won't look that way.
    Thanks for the feedback
    TrialsRider likes this.

cafe racers are not low or lowered...cafe style custom poser chopper abominations are lowered
    gt alex likes this.

Sponsored Links