Hello from Black Mountain, NC
Close

This is a discussion on Hello from Black Mountain, NC within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello All, I am a semi-centennial +1, live in North Carolina with my family and I love to ride every chance I get. I currently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hello from Black Mountain, NC

Hello All,

I am a semi-centennial +1, live in North Carolina with my family and I love to ride every chance I get. I currently own a 2018 DRZ 400s as my daily ride and I am working on my first cafe build using a 1972 XS 650 as the build bike.
    I am a multi media artist working with photography, music, leather, and screen printing. I look forward to reading the forums and trying to learn as much as I can in the hopes of building a machine worthy
    of the name Cafe/caff Racer.

Peace...
    1972 XS2 650 - Cafe Build in the works
    2018 DRZ 400s - Thumper
    Life Is The trip

if you are doing an xs650 I recommend taking a look at wolds project on here: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/gene...t-xs650-6.html

he's owned the bike since new, and been collecting knowledge on it for a long time. recently he painted it in gulf racing colors and the bike is local to me and I have seen it - it's pretty well thought out and a real runner. he mentions the minton mods which are a good starting primer on how to make the bike handle: https://www.650central.com/tech/mintonmods.htm
    Tanshanomi and TrialsRider like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Thanks for the information Geeto67. I have run across Joe Minton article in the past and most likely have it booked marked, but all the same thanks again for the information.
    For now I am just cleaning, polishing, and seeing what parts I can still use and what needs replacing. As I am local Gov worker (= I stay poor when it comes cash)
    I will not have a lot of disposable income to put towards the bike, with out pissing off the Wife. I'll start a thread of my build later when I get home with some pic's
    to show all what I am up to..
    2018 DRZ 400s - Thumper
    Life Is The trip

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpoke View Post
    Thanks for the information Geeto67. I have run across Joe Minton article in the past and most likely have it booked marked, but all the same thanks again for the information.
    For now I am just cleaning, polishing, and seeing what parts I can still use and what needs replacing. As I am local Gov worker (= I stay poor when it comes cash)
    I will not have a lot of disposable income to put towards the bike, with out pissing off the Wife. I'll start a thread of my build later when I get home with some pic's
    to show all what I am up to..
    The story of all our lives. Even those of us with bike counts in the double digits.

I am just going to warn you ahead of time: if you project involves an angle grinder, firestone delux champion tires, and "lowering" the bike you ay want to either rethink the direction of your project or your participation here. This place is the refuge of current and ex-racers, some industry folk, and general old bike performance nut jobs so there is almost zero tolerance for any project that puts form in front of function. When in doubt, ask questions, and don't t't take any of this stuff too seriously.
    TrialsRider likes this.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Unless you make it totally steam punk that might be interesting to watch lol

... tell the wife motorcycle parts make nice new years christmas birthday anniversary valentines halloween gifts

Bikes are disposable income ! lol you think you going to make money with it?
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 09-17-2019 at 05:07 PM.

imho this suits the motor and stock rolling chassis much better, you can build a bird perch for the wife

and a damn good heat shield.

Geeto67, thanks for the heads up and being so blunt. My plan as of now is to get my bike running and make it safe to ride. I do want to de-tab and remove the pillion mounts but that will be as far as I go for now with the angle grinder. I am also a believer of function and form, yes you can have both IMO.

TrialsRider, no I’ll loose money not make money with the build, plus I have no plans on selling the bike as it was gifted to me fifteen years ago from my father-in-law. My wife does not watch birds so no bird perch, and I’am not into the steam punk thing.

We will see What kind of rabbit hole I fall into as I progress further into the madness of my build project.
    2018 DRZ 400s - Thumper
    Life Is The trip

Geeto67, thanks for the heads up and being so blunt.
    No worries, a lot of guys have a really bad time here because they show up, don't take the temp of the room (board) and post pics fo them angle grinding a perfectly good motorskiggle for no apparent reason than they saw it on the youtubes. then they ask questions about how to fit repop tires meant for 1930's farm equipment to their wrong size rims and post some inspiration pic stolen from bike EXIF or seaweed and gravel that pretty much gets them flammed to a cinder. Honestly we are a knowledgeable helpful bunch but we have standards, lol.

My plan as of now is to get my bike running and make it safe to ride.
    Smart

I do want to de-tab and remove the pillion mounts but that will be as far as I go for now with the angle grinder. I am also a believer of function and form, yes you can have both IMO.
    nobody here believes you can't have both, just that you shouldn't compromise the functionality of a motorcycle just for a look. CL is filled with people who either were more ambitious than they were talented, or once they got everything they wanted they realized it wasn't what they wanted at all (once it was pretty enough for their vision, it was too uncomfortable to ride safely)

I hate the "detab" mentality personally. Why? it focuses on the wrong thing. People think "Oh I am not going to use this so let me cut off the tabs I am going to guess I am not using" and then later find out, yep they probably could have used that. Really though, the focus should be in the organic way in which a custom bike comes together: you ride it and then you change the things you don't like about the way it rides, and then you keep riding it and keep evolving. over time you will cut tabs off, and weld new ones on as the bike evolves into the highest form of both your subjective usefulness and beauty.

Every custom bike gets built twice - the first time is the ugly phase where you make sure it all works and isn't a death trap and you suffer a lot of trial and error. The second time is the beautiful phase where you get it to where you want it and then take it all down and make it pretty with paint and such.

If I can make another suggestion. take a look at the STORM 650 kit from Phil Little racing. As a fan of both the x75 Hurrican and Tracy Bodies, this ticks a lot of boxes for me personally because you will never see yourself coming or going:
    https://phillittleracing.com/motorcy...-650-storm-kit yes it is expensive, but for a uniquely custom motorcycle it's still a good bargain.

anyway, good luck
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I have ridden, but never owed an early 70’s SX650....although hope someday a nice one will show up in my driveway. I like the looks of the “flat track” variety that Trials posted and that would be the route I would go unless I can find a minty original one. The one Geeto posted looks interesting and in the grand scheme of things, the pricing is up there, but not all that scary if you consider the time and cost of materials to make one properly. That link illustrates (to me anyway) how much difference colour makes.
    Here is another option, although he has used an off the shelf tank that doesn’t fit well and the dents for the bars are pointless, amongst other things, but you get the drift. I’m guessing it’s not you cup of tea though.

BTW Geeto.. I think you are being optimistic when you say they are built twice. If you rephrased that and said at least twice, then I wouldn’t feel so inadequate.

Name:  1863379A-6113-432D-BA55-818D9C106AA8.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  587.8 KB
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Geeto67, I understand were you are coming from and believe in what you are saying. As for the STORM 650 kit, cool as it is it's not for me.
    Now the photo above/below that Cyorg posted is a vision I would like to achieve one day. I do have questions, and a lot to learn on my journey with this build.

I am humbled to be surrounded with people that have made a life out of racing and wrenching, I have always wanted to race, but my father crushed my dreams when I was a young boy
    by not letting indulge in such mayhem. As I am bit older now, I still would like to one day get on a track and see what it is all about, but would not know were to begin.

For now I am moving slow, thinking about what I want the end project to be and how to go about it. I'll post my build in another thread, so I can ask questions (if members that know more then I, would be willing to share with me their knowledge?)
    also to receive some shaming if needed.
    2018 DRZ 400s - Thumper
    Life Is The trip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links