Hi from Minnesota
Close

Hi from Minnesota

This is a discussion on Hi from Minnesota within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey everyone - just wanted to send a quick note and introduce myself. I grew up riding three wheelers, ATVs and dirt bikes... the past ...

Hi from Minnesota

Hey everyone - just wanted to send a quick note and introduce myself. I grew up riding three wheelers, ATVs and dirt bikes... the past 20 years have been very focused on career/family/etc, and about 3 years ago I got the bug to get out on a street bike for the first time. I purchased a BMW 1200 GS and couldn't get enough... mostly riding with my Dad, brother in laws and sister. I've been fortunate to ride around the US, Italy and an epic trip in India earlier this year.

I did have a brief moment of bad judgement and traded in my 1200 GS for an Indian Chieftain last summer. Honestly, it was great for a big V Twin but absolutely was NOT my thing. It was gone and I was back on a new 1200 GS Adventure six months later and couldn't be happier.

Phase 2

The best part of the journey happened in the past six months. My wife had been VERY opposed to motorcycles and I basically bought them and rode with her in total disagreement. She dealt with a lot of anxiety and it worried her (one crash and destroying my collarbone didn't help). Well, about six months ago after a lot of work over the years with a great therapist, she found a new lease on life and has been able to beat the anxiety that was so difficult for so many years.... as part of that process she started riding with me. Not only riding, but she absolutely fell in love with the freedom of two wheels. It's now probably our favorite thing to do together!

We ride all over on the GSA and I bought her a sweet Vespa 200 this summer that she runs around town on.

Enter phase 3

I have wanted a smaller, vintage bike for us to ride around in style. Love the GSA, but it's BIG and more for touring and long trips than runs to dinner. As mentioned earlier, I'm not a big V Twin cruiser guy, but there is something about cafe and scrambler style that I absolutely love. I've daydreamed and planned for a couple of years and it's time to get started!

Yesterday, I purchased a 1982 BMW R65. I was torn between the R65 and R100 but ultimately felt like the R65 was quite a bit more agile/lighter and has plenty of power for my needs around town. The R100 really felt like a tank.

The turquoise color, gigantic seat, ugly fairing, luggage and luggage rack couldn't be worse. Everything but the seat is off and the transformation has begun. It's gonna be a fun winter project!

Quote Originally Posted by minisoda View Post
    ... I have wanted a smaller, vintage bike for us to ride around in style.
    Nice bike! but if the plan is to cafe racer modify the bike :/ that's going to ruin it for the wife to ride pillion. She won't want to ride on the back of it any more then you would.
    jus sayin

Nope, that’s not the plan. Definitely will be setup for 2 up riding.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Fairing?

Is really difficult to make the bike wind slippery for 2 up riding unless you have a pretty healthy sized fairing. If you make the bars low :| the wife will feel like she is getting blown off the back, or at least thats what we found. Guess it may depend on the dimensions of your riders too :I don't have an 80 pound wife that can ride like a back pack.

Welcome, and pictures would be nice.

Love them pictures...............
    "If it ain't raining, I'm riding"~~~~~~{iii}?~~~~~~~prost~~~~~

I'm from Saint Paul. Basically just a rat bike asshole.

Sponsored Links