Hello from Denver
Close

Hello from Denver

This is a discussion on Hello from Denver within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Son and I just started messing with motorcycles this spring. Been having a blast!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Hello from Denver

Hello from Denver

Son and I just started messing with motorcycles this spring. Been having a blast!

Name:  9E072DB8-6139-4914-9FAA-BAA0FDFB472E.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  3.73 MBName:  8CC11413-D155-4759-B6FA-D3807B84D123.jpeg
Size:  3.91 MBName:  14F3C058-F580-4C4C-A77B-096419B5C01A.jpeg
Size:  710.8 KBName:  226BD40F-4DE8-4250-BBD2-382E1003666E.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  3.46 MBName:  0540DC3D-7ABD-411A-9D4A-69D5B7DF557E.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  2.99 MB
    Last edited by winmag4582001; 11-11-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Welcome from Georgia......darn good looking collection.
    "If it ain't raining, I'm riding"~~~~~~{iii}?~~~~~~~prost~~~~~

are those recent photos or are you actually covered in snow right now like me?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    are those recent photos or are you actually covered in snow right now like me?
    October pics. We got snow last week one day and the week before one day. That's the best part of Denver, the weather. Snow in the mountains and 55 in the city. It'll be in the 60's this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchi View Post
    Welcome from Georgia......darn good looking collection.
    Thank you. Motorcycles are cheap here in CO. Toughest part is finding ones with a title. In April my son bought the CX and built it in about 5 weeks, so I went out and bought a old 1000 and 1100, then he found a old K100 he's going to modify.

Quote Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
    Thank you. Motorcycles are cheap here in CO. Toughest part is finding ones with a title. In April my son bought the CX and built it in about 5 weeks, so I went out and bought a old 1000 and 1100, then he found a old K100 he's going to modify.
    That CX, I really like the best
    "If it ain't raining, I'm riding"~~~~~~{iii}?~~~~~~~prost~~~~~

Kraftrad K100 is good, is like riding a layed down flat 4 cylinder BMW car motor attached to a back wheel.
    Brakes are limited, don't over ride them, they thrive on fast long highways no matter what you end up doing to it.
    Requires a centre stand, or the side stand to be on the opposite side of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchi View Post
    That CX, I really like the best
    Really? it's kinda of a mess from what I can see, but they are new to it so I guess they are going to learn by trial and error.

I don't see one single mechanical improvement on it being a better motorcycle. It's just a lot of cheap aesthetically pleasing parts laid over the top of a mediocre but reliable motorcycle.

Nice van and beemer in the background though.
    woodsman likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

lol ya there is significant room for improvement.

Fact is winmag you have fallen into a bunch of gear heads and motorcycle racer types, the eyes go to different places and the priorities are fairly simple,
    you do it to make the bike work better, perform outstanding would be nice! and that is the beauty in the motorcycle
    :I this place is inhabited by people who have been addicted to riding the **** out of motorcycles, for decades.

... hint move your license plate to give yourself a little bit of fender
    because as your bikes are now, they would not pass tech inspection to even ride in an off road event :|
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 11-14-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
    Name:  226BD40F-4DE8-4250-BBD2-382E1003666E.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  3.46 MBName:  0540DC3D-7ABD-411A-9D4A-69D5B7DF557E.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  2.99 MB
    I am just going to go ahead and give feedback upon which action can be taken so the OP can move in the right direction:

- The bike is a cx500c "custom" which is honda speak for factory chopper. That means a leading link front fork and 16" rear wheel because that was what was popular with choppers at the time. The better setup would be to find the stock forks and 18" rear wheel of an cx500 standard which would reduce rear sidewall flex and improve handling at the rear and reduce the freeway friendly only large amount of fork trail the cx500 chopper has.

- Lowering the bike in the rear was unwise, not only does it increase trail and thus straight line stability at the cost of maneuverability, I can almost god damn guarantee that that hipster tail chop will come in contact with that tailight at full suspension compression. I just don't see enough room there for that tire not to hit anything. No motorcycle company would like a bike go out the door where something can touch a spinning tire, every customizer should strive for the same from a safety standpoint.

- those RFY shocks are cheap ebay garbage meant for scooters. I have never seen a pair with consistent oil or gas in them. The basic bones of the shock are ok, it's just the quality control is poor. I strongly adivse you rebuild the shocks, putting fresh quality shock oil and nitrogen in them. there are many tutorials on the web and youtube concerning how to do this because it is such a well documented issue.

- Any motorcycle you ride in traffic should have at a minimum: 2 mirrors, visible signals from all 4 corners, a working horn, a visible taillight. Right now you have 1 mirror, a tiny taillight, and turnsignals in the rear that may be too close together. One of the hallmarks of a good customizer is to be able to cover their bases from a safety standpoint while still making it look good.

- there is no inner fender between the tire and the engine. right now as the bike is ridden, all sorts of crap and road debris is being thrown at your engine, specifically the carbs and the valley between the cylinders. groce. reinstall the rear inner fender.

- you have a bar wide enough to give proper leverage, but rider comfort would be vastly improved by a bar with a little rise and pullback. you don't need much and something like a "superbike" bar would make a huge difference.

Future upgrades:
    - the cx500 uses 33mm forks and marginal front brakes. 1981 and 82 used a dual piston caliper that is a direct bolt on upgrade, however, you should consider a fork swap from a cb750F which would give you 35mm forks and dual front discs.

All of these suggestions would significantly transform the riding experience for the better, without changing the look at all. most of them can be done for peanuts too and mean the difference between a great motorcycle and just more unrideable Instagram fodder.
    TrialsRider likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links