Fork upgrade - Page 4
Close

Fork upgrade

This is a discussion on Fork upgrade within the Parts For Sale forums, part of the Classifieds category; You missed the memo: Motivation for installing modern USD forks on a heavy old 4 cylinder bike has been fully explained, the USD fork upgrades ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fork upgrade

You missed the memo: Motivation for installing modern USD forks on a heavy old 4 cylinder bike has been fully explained, the USD fork upgrades are imperative so they can get the back wheel off the ground under braking without tucking under and eating shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    If that is the plan then have at it! But I don't see most people asking about fork swaps having the knowledge or ability or even the desire to brace a frame to the extent of making a difference.

I see what you mean, but I'm thinking you are running into the area of rapidly diminishing returns, and the USD forks are at the far extreme given the price of some of these front end conversions.

They remind me of wings and spoilers and trash can sized exhausts on those japanese 4 bangers. All show...
    Can't argue with that.

Really, the question should be "What's a better front end to use on my GS850" rather than "Which modern USD front end should I use"?

To that end I would recommend a Bandit 1200 complete front end.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    naw, I pushed it as hard as I could on a frame I built. I've ridden bikes with unmodified stock frames and usd front ends and the stopping ability is markedly better than they were. hey, how come my post about swapping a gs650 crank into a gs550 bottom end didn't get any replies? guess this has become a haven for craggy old guys. ok ok I'll get off yer lawn
    This craggy old guy would definitely be interested in hearing more about the frame you built. And I don't remember seeing anything about a crank swap but would like to hear more about that as well. This site has become too much about how you shouldn't do something instead of how I did something. And I may be part of the problem. I've spent a lot of time on my dyno this summer trying to get more power out of my Bridgestone and haven't posted a thing.

And by the way, stay the fuck off my lawn. I've spent too much time on making it look nice to have you damn kids mess it up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by craig641 View Post
    ... don't remember seeing anything about a crank swap....
    I do, he wants to swap a multi piece crank for a solid unit. I even gave it a like but apparently that is still a zero response.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Can't argue with that.

Really, the question should be "What's a better front end to use on my GS850" rather than "Which modern USD front end should I use"?

To that end I would recommend a Bandit 1200 complete front end.
    IMO that would even look better. And perform just as well on a stock frame.

South East North Carolina - anywhere but the left coast.
    lol you guys are brutal- But, Pete82 has given me some ideas- I think I have all of those parts lying around somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete82 View Post
    you probably ride some contraction you built yourself with plumbing supply equipment and a leaf blower Attachment 94041

rather than make a shitty bike worse or hopefully better.....

why not go get the proper bike and ride it?

not everyone has to be a backyard engineer..... you could spend your summer riding.
    latered

Its all good, the GS850 is a not a bad shaft drive tourer, its not an old sports tourer and to improve it a good service and refurb to bring it back to it's original spec, new bushes, oil, seals along with new (progressive) springs will be a good and easier route. Inverted forks where a fashion statement when first fitted to road bikes, heavier with poorer damping then the conventional forks they replaced. They are better now but without the high performance to go with them they are a waste of time and money, oh and yes they will be too short. If you really want later hardware look at maybe the 1200 bandit front end? But consider carefully, measure and then think again, and then check before laying out cash. Its the start of a process, with a new front end the front and rear wheels and worse the tyres will be mismatched so then you'll be faced with modifying the rear to fit the later wheel, then new rear suspension...By the time you've done all that you could have bought a later better faster bike! Good luck whatever you choose to do.
    woodsman likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links