Cafe Racer Forum banner

Tire Troubles

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ZouLou 
#1 ·
OK on my XS650 I have the dreaded Special haha. Well it comes with a chopper like 16" rear wheel and a 19" inch front. I would really like to go to 19" wheels front and back. There is a kit to use a front wheel on the rear and there are a few used rims available on Flebay but the only problem is trying to find good modern tires for a 19" wheel. Any one have any good suggestions for a 19" tire. It can either be H or V rated though V is preferred either is fine. Thanks a lot in advance guys.

#2 ·
If you are looking for the look then I would go with 18" front and rear and use a taller tire. A much better selection of 18 in tires.

Ken

#4 ·
Well i would use 18" wheels happily but i would have to find a set of XS650 wire wheels so i can steal the hubs but right now i have cast rims and thats all i seem to find any hints anyone?

#5 ·
Many of the XS650 came with wires. I like the ones that have the shouldered alloy rims. E-bay is your friend.

Ken

#7 ·
FWIW, I've done a fairly extensive search for decent 19"s, the problem is finding a good rear. There are plenty of front choices but almost nobody but the Brits used a 19" rear. The widest rear I could find was a 410 which IIRC is about a 3.5" and it wasn't a modern tread design. Anyway, I think you're stuck with skinny British tires if you go 19 front and rear.

FR

#8 ·
i just picked up a set of alloy xs650 spokes. took me about a month to find a matching set. but i'm putting firestone replicas on them and the bike will no doubt handle like shit. 4.5 on the 18" rear and i'm going to try a 4.0 on the 19" front. the front may not fit, but we'll see. try www.mrcycleparts.com thats where i found my rear wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.