Needed: 1975 CB 200 Cafe Racer Advice and Ideas
Close

This is a discussion on Needed: 1975 CB 200 Cafe Racer Advice and Ideas within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey everyone, below is the current state of my 1975 CB200. I plan to convert it to a cafe racer, but I will need your ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hey everyone, below is the current state of my 1975 CB200. I plan to convert it to a cafe racer, but I will need your help, advice, and ideas on the best ways to accomplish my goals! My ideas so far are:

1. Replace the air filters with Foam unifilters.

2. (Maybe) Upgrade the carbs.

3. Chop the exhaust, then add a new and shorter tip and virtually straight pipe it.

4. Find a half or full fairing that will fit my bike and think of a color/design for it.

5. Modify (reshape) my seat.

6. Upgrade the front brakes (CB200 brakes aren't very good.)

7. (Maybe) Put on rear sets.

I'll take whatever advice or recommendations you people have about what to do/buy for my bike. Thanks in advance!

quote:7. (Maybe) Put on rear sets.
    Not Maybe, just put them on!

Try to find some rearsets of a modern-day supersports-bike and adapt them on your bike.

I'm going to fit some GSX-R 750 '91 rearsets to my GT. I only have to make three braces. As long as you haven't got two left hands it'll be easy to make something fit.

Maybe you should change your bar for clip-ons

Even if you don't have much knowledge about welding, almost any muffler or radiator repair shop can weld something together for you. It might cost you a hundered bucks, but atleast it will get done. Depends on how much you want it. I've seen many universal rearsets on eBay. Check them out. Or like Streetfighter89 said, adapt a set from a newer bike. They have cheap ones on eBay or even Craigslist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

You might just put a set of billet pegs on your rear peg mounts and fab up a shifter and brake pedel to fit, I've found that to be a cheep and fairly simple solution. I've also fit '90's rear sets to the older hondas with good results,It's most important to have it comfortable ,and safe, to ride. You can ride your bike,now, and test the rear pegs for rideing position and comfort, also you dont have to wory about ground clearence issues.To upgrade the frontend, just fit a complete front of a newer(90's) Honda, they are lighter, have beter suspention and brakes, and there are lots on e-bay.
    \'78CB750f,\'76 cb500t,\'5-CB/CL450 basketcases,\'68 CL175,\'66 CA77/in a CL72 frame,\'1971 DT1f,1988cbr1000f,1987cbr1000f

While the seat is being reshaped, it has given me time to think about and research my next steps. I haven't been able to find any front ends or rear sets off of other bikes, but I'll keep looking. If anyone finds something, please let me know!

I have been really researching carburetors and camshaft regrinds, but I just don't know enough about either one to know what is best for my bike (Help please!?) I want speed (100 MPH max) but I also want something that will comfortably cruise at maybe 70 MPH and lower.

As always, I'd appreciate any advice!

Ok, so during my research for a front end, I realized that I should replace/upgrade both my wheels while I am at it. I started with a 2005 kawi ninja 250 rear wheel that really SEEMS like it will fit after a lil' bit of encouragement, and pending its fitting, I will soon be buying the front end to match! Pics coming a later!

Due to popular demand, I bought some cheap-used rearsets off a CBR 600 as well and will be fitting them as soon as time permits. On a different note, I am still researching fairings... I think I am going to go with a carbon fiber half fairing from www.tga.co.uk . I am not sure about carbs... mikuni vm 20 or 22 seem like good upgrades, but I can only find carb's for the left side. I am in the process of researching carbs off a Honda sl 350 or just making the jets on my stock carbs bigger... we'll see what happens there.

Lastly, I am curious as to whether Ninja 250 mufflers will fit in place of my stock mufflers.

Oh yeah, the rims come black, but I don't like black for this application... I was thinking chrome for a more original look or yellow to match the tank as I will not be putting the side covers back on... any ideas? Thanks!

p.s. I am rebuilding/cleaning the engine now...

The Ninja-Wheels would be a downgrade in style, spoke wheels just look awesome!

If you really don't want to keep the sidecovers you have to lower your seat, so the tank and the seat will be in one flowing line. But thats just my two cents.

Drilling jets is almost allways a bad deal, I've never heard anything but horror stories about it!!Buy a jet kit, you'll be glad you did.bigger carbs is more of a 2-stroke deal, you said you want to cruise comfortably, a lot of radical emgine mods will make your motor peekish and narrow power band. My 450 is working pretty hard to cruise at 70 most of the time, your 200 is going to be working harder. If your going to open it up to do the cam, then bore it bigger and maby port it some also. If you can find a better exaust system too, these will give you the best power gains. Hondas are also heavy, anything you can do to reduce weight is a free power boost and probably the best "bang for buck". The stock exaust is usualy a heavy item, the cemterstand and tailight, grabrail,buddypegs can all go or be replaced with smaller lighter stuff. some steel brackets can be replaced with aluminum if you're handy. Deleteing the starter ( if you don't mind kickstarting only) also allows a smaller battery and less wireing, a big weight saveings. It is a real power boost, try doing 70 with a rider, then single, if you can shave 50 or 60 lbs it will be a noticable gain. You can alway put it back. Nice looking bike!
    \'78CB750f,\'76 cb500t,\'5-CB/CL450 basketcases,\'68 CL175,\'66 CA77/in a CL72 frame,\'1971 DT1f,1988cbr1000f,1987cbr1000f

christopher,

what's a "charity race?"

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

I'm pretty sure Chicagoland is supposed to be one word, not Chicago land...

And:

quote:... mikuni vm 20 or 22 seem like good upgrades, but I can only find [u]carb's</u> for the left side...
    This use of the possessive is incorrect. You're not talking about something which belongs to that carb. I suspect you intended to use the plural "carbs"... no apostrophe.

No wonder one cannot ever read their doctor's handwriting... Doctors are trying to disguise their deficient English. Good luck in school.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links