Black boogers
Close

Black boogers

This is a discussion on Black boogers within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Not as cool as Judey's project, but what I've been working on the last couple. Try not to work on these things anymore. I owe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black boogers

Black boogers

Not as cool as Judey's project, but what I've been working on the last couple.

Try not to work on these things anymore. I owe my plumber big and he wanted me to copy the rear suspension from a car I built him years ago that he won an ass-load of races and a couple track championships with.

'04 Kraftcar orignially 4-bar LR, Z-link RR. Lower framerail needs moved inboard to clear new spring mounts.

Lopped a chunk out and ended up with this;

Didn't take any pics tonight. Made blocks to hold the rearend at ride height, wheelbase and located it right to left. Clipped all the existing trailing arm mounts off the right side and cleaned it up.

Trailing arm mounts tommorrow.

Nice hoist. Nicer welds.
    \"I came to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and Im all outta gum.\"

73 CL350

quote:Originally posted by Gambler

Nice hoist. Nicer welds.
    Thanks. It would have been nicer if he'd left the left side bodywork off. I'd rather lift from that side. My hands get a little shaky from too much caffeine sometimes so not all my welds are as nice as I'd like.

Last night built right side trailing arm mount. Trying to control the heat welding it up there was a lot of starting and stopping, weld appearance reflects that.

It was cold and rainy and the car was in another building so when I got the mount welded up I came home and called a girl I know

Tonight finished up right side.

First I had to strap the car to the forks. Had the forklift farther forward to give me room to weld and the car was trying to tip off to the rear. Remember safety first kids! and if you'd just leave all the body off it wouldn't be an issue.

Better shot of how far I moved the framerail in. The spring will now be in front of the rearend. The spring mount bolts on. Hopefully the owner can handle that.

Located roughly where the trailing are mount would go. Drilled a 1/16" hole in the framerail. Have to vent the cavity or you'll get stalactites when you weld it off.

Skip to the end, right side done.

Left side mounts tomorrow.

The owner's adamant about copying his old car exactly. Don't think the trailing arm length on the left is going to work. At some point I may have to admit that the lengths on the old car were just whatever fit nice.

I want to go short so it really climbs the left bar, but I'm not the guy driving it. May make the frame mounts take as long trailing arm as possible and then a pair of bolt in mounts for a shorter one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Wow...I really didn't think anyone else was into open wheel modifieds. Don't know if you knew him or not, but George Scheffler just passed away. He was the founder of Suburban Drywall and the newly established Wild Inc (www.wildincorperated.com). I worked on his crew for several years.
    Did you hear about the pirate with two wooden legs?

They caught fire and burned his ass to the ground!

shorter left side mounts so as it travels, you'd be shortening the inside wheelbase? Would that not rotate the backend mid corner?

what kind of engine do these frames run?

Cool! I used to race bomber/hobby stock dirt cars in the 70s/80s. Love it!

Joe,

The Saturday night of the AHMRA race weekend at RA in '08 we went to Plymouth County. Russ Sheffler was running a late model there. My buddy says they used to come to Dubuque to the Open Late Model Shootouts, but I don't remember that. I think their house modified won a race I was at @Farley.

SDurand,

Yes that's called rear steer. It allows you to run a setup that produces more straight line traction and still turn the corner.

Engines depend on the size of the area tracks and rules. He'll start with a 355 Chevy single 4 bbl on alcohol. 383s are more common. With the tires we run a good weekly motor makes about 500hp.

This car had been run at a UMP sanctioned track, notice the chainlink Hoosier tire on the RR. Those tires, 700hp gets it done.

2450lb car so they're a ride.

So Friday;

Re-using a couple of the original brackets. I say you're not a real racer til your ole' lady leaves ya. Well my boy's a real racer and thus very broke.

Thought I cut them off pretty straight, but they weren't true enough on the backside so off to nephew Marty's. He took pity on his poor old uncle and trued them up with his Bridgeport.

Friday night eveyone wanted to hang at my place and that eventually led me to the bar, work over.

Crack o' dawn Saturday and I'm pissed this thing's not done.

Basic bracket;

On the car;

Keep in mind that I have to located it properly right to left, so that the holes create the correct trailing arm angles and so that moving the arms up or down does not effect wheelbase. Don't know how to show that pictorially.

It's done except for some misc brackets. Whole car doesn't have to come back. Not going to work on another race car for a long time.

9:00 a.m. Sunday phone rings 'nother buddy that rents storage space from me. "Need to get in the building to get some race car stuff. Had some trouble last night." This will not end well....

RF horn's bent in and down a couple inches. Should say that he broke the brake pedal off with his foot when it hit so no one can say he wasn't trying to get it stopped.

Doesn't look like much of a hit to the wheel and the LF's straight.

Just enough to get both upper ball joints, both inner tie rod ends, the center link, idler arm and steering box.

It's a 68-72 Chevelle-stubbed chassis. They're all soft(rusty) behind the steering box so that's all punched in. We just washered it so he could race tonight, but it either needs horned or bosses welded in to mount the box.

Used to think it'd be cool to build and repair race cars for a living. Think I'll stick to washing cars...

sucks about the 2nd buddies car, back to back racenights seem to never fail to be the night you break something that isn't just 'a bolt on'
    Coming from a sprint background here, so I guess the rear steer is less pronounced, if not non existent because of the stagger (30"ish for the 3/8ths mile). Been racing dirt since I started in karts when I was 9-10, new to the sprint cars but 1500lbs, with a 363 (pushing 625ish on methanol), it's a ride!

I have a couple of ovals near me. Love to occasionally head over. Very different from bike racing, but the people have the same mentality.

I drove a non-winged car once(just practiced). Biggest thing I noticed was how the injected car would go from blubbering, fallin' all over itself to screaming like flipping a light switch. That was a long time ago, very early in my driving days. I'd like to give one a ride now.

One of my semi-local tracks is having a USAC National sprint/midget race, really looking forward to that. Have a buddy that just moved to Sun Prairie, WI. Going to really try to catch a midget race there this summer. Hopefully it'll work out the weekend of the Rockerbox show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links