Cafe Racer Forum banner

CB 175 bargain

9K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  86YotaSR5 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 1971 CB175, with a clear title for $375.
It's been beat up pretty well, pipes rusted out, but it's 95% complete (missing side covers over air filters). Its starts and runs alright- but needs a carb clean bad.

Previous owner thought it would be a good idea to lace up some knobbies too!

More pictures to follow as I start the teardown process

#36 ·
Update! I've been super busy with school and haven't made a ton of progress. I have had a little change of heart and have made some MAJOR changes to the project design. Hate all you want- I think it will turn out good.

-Wiring is done and all the turn signals actually work! (took a $20 relay from customled.com)
-Front rim is painted, and waiting for some clear coat. Most of my spare time in the last month has been spend painstakingly masking for this paint job.

- Now for changes. I've decided to use takeoffs from the newer brothers of this bike (CBR600 specifically) to create a blended modern / classic bike.

Like I said- It may not be true "cafe" but its unique and I've never seen another. Accompanying the tail section will be custom seat (I've yet figured that one out) and undertail exhaust of some kind.

Should be on the wheels in a few weeks-

#37 ·
My tank in natural light, the beginnings of a seat, bike as she sits... and just for fun, my wall o' motors waiting to go into projects. 1835 VW motor w/Porsche 356 carbs, Kawi 650 jet ski motor, bored 2. over, and an extra TL1000R motor. Eventually the TL motor will be put into a custom (frame and all) cafe bike, but that's a little ways away. She's been sitting long enough, so a bit longer shouldn't hurt!

#43 ·
I would suggest going to slightly longer, stiffer shocks to compensate for the longer swingarm. In my opinion, your swingarm angle is too flat and the shocks will be too soft now in addition to increased leverage on them. Unless your plan is to go for that look at the expense of handling and ground clearance.

Ken

#44 ·
I've been thinking that myself. When i put 200+ of me on it the tire comes up just to the framerails. For now I'm going to crank the little 3 notch preload thing to firm, and eventually look for some sturdier, maybe some reservoir shocks. There's a local bike boneyard nearby maybe I can go scour for some.

The look is cool, but it definitely is going to be a rider.

#46 ·
86YotaSR5, Hi, you build looks good so far. I have a question for you, Why did you paint the rims black? I see a lot of this and I know it's popular, but was it just by choice? were they to rusty to polish up? or am I missing something? I personaly like them as shinny as posible but the blacked out rims look good too.

#48 ·
Yea, I'm realy on the fence about it, I like it usualy, I have a set (well actualy a lot) of wheels that the chrome is yucky on and I guess I should try it myself and see. I see what you mean from the last picture, it realy does look good!

#49 ·
They chrome on the rims was in pretty poor shape, and someone treated them alot of rattle can over spray.

I actually primed, painted and clear coated everything (including the brakes. It was TEDIOUS to mask and took almost a month's spare time. But it looks great and if it chips off- then I can consider ponying up for powder coat.

Simple rattle can stuff. Gloss black for rims, and a sparkle (almost metal flake) for the spokes, brakes and hubs.

#50 ·
Did a little work today- as it's my last day for a while with welder access. Gauges and ignition switch relocated, Headlight lowered finished cafe tail skeleton

Gauges Dropped 3''

Relocated ignition

New Front end profile

Cafe Tail "skeleton"
-1/2 bar stock from Ace hardware, a vice, vice grips and a welder

Current state

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.