Bultaco Metralla
Close

Bultaco Metralla

This is a discussion on Bultaco Metralla within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So I got this Metralla from an old man's shed: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic...38&whichpage=2 and I plan on cafe-ing it. Lots of parts missing so I'll sell the ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bultaco Metralla

So I got this Metralla from an old man's shed:

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic...38&whichpage=2

and I plan on cafe-ing it. Lots of parts missing so I'll sell the few remaining original parts on ebay to fund the racy parts I need.

Right now all I have is the frame & wheels and a Pursang MK4 motocross engine. Original Metralla motor disappeared a long time before I came around.

I'll be adding a Circle F pipe, Powerdynamo ignition, ported cylinder & re-machined head.

Forks will be 35mm Betors from a Sherpa T, shortened, with emulators and .75 kg/mm springs. I'm working on those right now.

The Sherpa had a 12mm axle so I had to buy a $30 15mm reamer to fix that little problem. Also had to press out the Metralla steering stem and press it into the Sherpa triple clamp. Then I had to shorten the Sherpa forks - I just put a spacer on the damper rod made from PVC. That reduces the travel but actually the Sherpa forks had 1 inch more travel than the Metralla forks to begin with. The Met forks are actually pretty cool - they have a cartridge in them for damping. But it's still a simple damper and the emulator (one of the MikesXS taiwanese ones) will provide better compression damping than the stock ones ever could. Plus the 35mm forks look better and flex less. And it's easier to find clip ons and headlight brackets for them.

Otherwise it's a bolt on deal. Well, there is the small matter of needing spacers on the front brake link, but I've seen pictures of TSS roadracers that used similar spacers.

Them betor forks are nice, summer 09 i used my `78 Sherpa T350 almost every day to go around town, about 2500kms and apart from a snapped clutchcable zero problems. Suspension on it works so good, makes you forget that its over 30 years old. I love it! Lil pic:

Chris

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Them betor forks are nice, summer 09 i used my `78 Sherpa T350 almost every day to go around town, about 2500kms and apart from a snapped clutchcable zero problems. Suspension on it works so good, makes you forget that its over 30 years old. I love it! Lil pic:

Chris

Nice find. Many years ago I ran an Ossa SDR complete with knobby tires on the street as my only transportation. It was so much fun.

Are you thinking TSS replica or America Kit style? Either would awesome. My own preference is the tank and seat from the water cooled model because they look lower and more together. Keep posting. I'll be watching this one.

Nice find. Many years ago I ran an Ossa SDR complete with knobby tires on the street as my only transportation. It was so much fun.

Are you thinking TSS replica or America Kit style? Either would awesome. My own preference is the tank and seat from the water cooled model because they look lower and more together. Keep posting. I'll be watching this one.

Keep us up to date on how the Powerdynamo ignition works. I'm interested in their ignitions.

Keep us up to date on how the Powerdynamo ignition works. I'm interested in their ignitions.

I'm thinking TSS 350 - it has the seat that bumps up at the back. There's also an Endurance model with a cool headlight, I'll see if I can find a picture.

As for the 35mm betors - they are really sophisticated forks. Much nicer than Honda stuff from the 70s. They have a vented cap and a long hydraulic stop at the end to bottom more positively than air pressure would do. Plus there is a one-way valve that prevents leaks through the compression holes during rebound damping. And a proper hydraulic piston on the damper rod. Pretty cool stuff for the 1960s.

I have some .70 springs on order.

I'm thinking TSS 350 - it has the seat that bumps up at the back. There's also an Endurance model with a cool headlight, I'll see if I can find a picture.

As for the 35mm betors - they are really sophisticated forks. Much nicer than Honda stuff from the 70s. They have a vented cap and a long hydraulic stop at the end to bottom more positively than air pressure would do. Plus there is a one-way valve that prevents leaks through the compression holes during rebound damping. And a proper hydraulic piston on the damper rod. Pretty cool stuff for the 1960s.

I have some .70 springs on order.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links