winter project gn1100g
Close

winter project gn1100g

This is a discussion on winter project gn1100g within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; i picked up a winter project on craigslist. i have to say i wasnt intending on getting such a behemoth of bike i was looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

winter project gn1100g

i picked up a winter project on craigslist. i have to say i wasnt intending on getting such a behemoth of bike i was looking at 650's mostly but then i found something for an unbeatable price i believe,
    a 1982 Suzuki GN 1100 G for $250. it was missing a few things and one major component all 4 carbs. but i found a set on ebay for 70 bucks woo.
    well heres a pic of what i brought home two weeks ago

and heres the progress i made yesterday with some help from my buddy

im not sure he knew i was taking a picture

and then

next weeks plans are to do some trimming on the frame and start on the bum stop seat. i have plans of putting the license plate on the seat hump with led lights around the plate for brake and running do to the new law in California no longer allowing vertical plates as well as a 200 dollar fine. ill will post more as it happens and the ideas flow.
    anybody have any helpful hints on these bikes, they are welcome

Go to GS Resources for all your technical questions - but be warned - they will probably flame you for cutting up your bike and not restoring it to original. They know the tech stuff pretty well though....

And you have a GS1100G, not a GN.

Good luck with it.

gs o well thanks for clearafying that thats what i was told when i got it

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

heres the latest

after cutting some off the frame and starting on the seat. i tore into the motor so i can get the frame and some of the engine covers powder coated at the same time.
    its only got 31k on it but might as well do a top end rebuild

i painted my head and cylinders today and filed the fins.

thats all for today. i have to scrub the case next.

i finally got the case split and i found a piece of a tooth from the idler gear in the case that was about as big as a cashew. luckily it was from a previous gear it had since been replaced and no further damage was found. im going to sand blast the case today and paint it. i got the head all resembled and cylinders honed its all ready to get put back together. hopefully get the engine back together next week before school starts back up.

i finally got the case split and i found a piece of a tooth from the idler gear in the case that was about as big as a cashew. luckily it was from a previous gear it had since been replaced and no further damage was found. im going to sand blast the case today and paint it. i got the head all resembled and cylinders honed its all ready to get put back together. hopefully get the engine back together next week before school starts back up.

well o got t he case back together this week. im still waiting on a few other gaskets and the piston rings i ordered. heres some pics of the case

i did as much on it as i could then i decided to try to polish the side covers. here is a shot of all three steps from beginning to end. its a pain in the ass to do with out a buffing wheel but i think it will come out ok

i will be dropping off the frame and wheels at the powder coater tomorow

everything is lookin good. real quick though. when you painted the head did you take some sand paper to the fins and get them to have the shiny outside edges like that??

also what did you use to polish the chrome!!! those things look good.

Hi there,
    Nice project
    I built a cafe racer from a GS650 Shaftie and I love it, gets plenty of attention when it comes out to play.
    The lads over at gsresources are excellent and they really helped with my build, have a look over there for some tips.

I don't see the carbs for your bike but will say this, the GS's take a LOT of setting up if you run pods and CV's together, try to get some smoothbores and the process will be easier. Also, Dyna coils and electronic ignition worked very well on my thou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links