CB175 - Urgent Help looking for parts
Close

This is a discussion on CB175 - Urgent Help looking for parts within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey - I purchased a CB175 (1971) last year and rode it twice before the kick start broke. It has been sitting in the mechanics ...

Hey - I purchased a CB175 (1971) last year and rode it twice before the kick start broke. It has been sitting in the mechanics since November, and I am dying to get back on it.
    Apparently the kick start assembly has shat itself entirely, so the mechanic was talking about converting the bike to an electric start.
    Does anyone know where I can get parts for either the electric option or to replace the entire kick start?
    I'm completely ignorant with all this - yes I'm a girl!
    I am desperately seeking advice and guidance of what to do!
    Such a beautiful bike being locked up is heartbreaking!
    Cheers, Rach
    [email protected]
    (this is the bike) http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com...reen+with+envy

Rach,

My wife is a girl and she rides a Honda 175 too. What a coincidence. :-)

Great looking bike.

If it needs the kick start lever, they are available on ebay. If it's the shaft, someone here should have that shaft or gear assembly. We throw ours away for the race bikes, otherwise I'd offer that.

CB175 came with electric start didn't it? If you need one, you need the starter motor, starter clutch, solenoid,and possibly changes to the wiring. In fact all the parts the PO removed..

Where are you located?

That bike is way too pretty not to be running. Maybe some close up photos of what you have to work with are in order, from what I can see of the kick start in the link it was significantly modified to clear the rear sets ? You need an enthusiast to help you through this one, not a bike shop, swap meets and vintage rallies will be your best source for parts and forget about looking for a model specific kick lever, you just need something that will interchange close enough.

Gotta give us a hint as to what continent you live on or the moderator is going to flame you big time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I have an engine in pieces that might have the entire kick starter shaft. Do you know if the splines are just stripped or if it croaked internally? If the splines are stripped you can tell your mechanic to find a kick start pedal that will clear your rear-sets and just do a clean weld. Will be much cheaper than cracking the engine open to replace the entire shaft, or re-wire for e-start.

Your battery was relocated, so they probably stripped all the OEM e-start goodies. As Teazer said, you'd need all the bits to get the e-start cranking. If you are cool kicking the bike over, and have never wanted an electric start, I'd tell your mechanic you dont care for that. Will suck for him, but you save $$$...

rach,

are you in Australia? if so, there are some member here from there as well. fill out your bio a little more please. i stripped a 175 a few years ago, but i think all those old parts are now gone. i'll go down to the basement and have a look around. have you searched ebay? called your local salvage yard?

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Stumbled upon this image and thought it might be of use to you Rach

Sponsored Links