CM400t build/new member intro - Page 3
Close

CM400t build/new member intro

This is a discussion on CM400t build/new member intro within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The one in my profile? I did...it's showing up for me at least...?...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The one in my profile? I did...it's showing up for me at least...?
    '79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    1989 Caprice Classic wagon 5.7 TBI, 5 speed manual
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

You didn't fill out your location, at the very least state or province. Not everybody knows Purdue is in indiana.

It is nice you filled out all the other stuff, but being that we are a board that focuses on real life community, we urge people to fill out location so they know who is local to them and vice versa.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Okay, it's updated.

On a more motorcycle-related note, new bars are in the mail, and I'll probably be picking up some bar end mirrors as after looking at the factory ones, I think my sightlines will be so far gone I won't be able to see much behind me.

I also recently discovered that the comstars on the black bike are set up for tubes and the Custom comstars are tubeless. Apparently the changeover was 1981.
    '79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The comstars on the black bike are regular comstars supposed to be painted silver, the other bike has "reverse comstars".

What caliper so you have on the other one?
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Are you sure they're supposed to be silver? CB400tii's have silver comstars, but those are 19" front and 18" rear. These are 18" front and 16" rear. I've actually never seen these in silver, in pictures or otherwise. Plus these are powdercoated and there is no overspray anywhere, and the insides of the spokes are also powdercoated a nice even black. I'm pretty positive these are the correct comstars.

All disk-equipped CM's came with single piston calipers, except apparently for '81-on CM400c's, which have a larger diameter (by about an inch) rotor and a dual-piston caliper. It has much greater swept area and the hub has a slightly better venting design, at least to my eye, and in addition to being twin piston, the caliper also has heat-sink ribs on it. When I actually swap the parts I'll take pics and measurements for size comparison.

I thought about using a CB750 Comstar on the front with the dual disks along with the correct forks, but for the improvement and my planned use for the bike, that money could be better spent elsewhere.

EDIT: this is the only pic I have that shows the front brake at all.

'79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

yup:

C models or customs have 18"/16" wheel setups. It could be the 'merican market had painted ones but I have never seen them. you can bolt on the dual piston caliper to the brake setup you have on the 1981, you just need the fork leg bracket as well. It is a better caliper, honda still uses it on some of the dirt bikes.

if you want to do a wheel swap - go find a boomerang comstar that was on cx500 turbos and canadian/european/japanese cb1100Fs (you will need the rear off the cb not the cx to match). Way cooler looking.

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

oh, and keep the 18" front and find yourself an 18" rear if you want the wheels to improve the handling.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Well blow me over and buckle me down...sounds like I could probably get an 18" rear off of a Hawk; I'll have to do more research on that. All of the CM400's I've come across had the 16" rear, and both of the manuals I have only list the 16".

That picture also shows a kick start-only the '79s had that to my knowledge, fwiw.

I looked at boomerangs, but spending that kind of money on a CM just seems ridiculous to me. I want to make sure that I can get the suspension working really well and make it handle better before I spend that much money on wheels. Definitely cooler looking though.
    '79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

quote:Originally posted by gearheadE30

True, shims are reversible. Once I get it all apart I'm going to check the rest length (I know it isn't tension but its as close as I can get in my garage) and see how close it is. I'll have to see what it looks like and then go from there on shimming/cutting. The ride height and sag are about right though right now, and the last thing I want to do is raise the front end more with shims. But yeah, you're probably right. I may just try shims as first and see how that goes. I can always take it apart again later.

And no, you can't weld a spring. The heat will cause it to lose tension, thus making it not much of a spring anymore.
    You've got the right idea with the springs. I used to have a link to using a bathroom scale and tape measure to rate springs. Thought it was from offroad.com/dirtbike. Maybe you find.

Keep in mind if you substancially stiffen springs may need to modify damper rods. If I were doing it, just talking out my ass, if the springs are stiffened 20% I'd enlarge the compression holes and decrease the rebound holes 15%. You get why right?

Stay single disc. Unsprung is your enemy.

The three valve 400/450 motors were in tons of bikes cb400t, cm400, 450sc nighthawk, 400 nighthawk...etc. Plus a lot of bikes had different setups, I think Honda sold the hawk like a car setup with "options". I owned a "base" model hawk from 1979 that had a drum front brake and a kick only, and a same year bike that was an e start only and front disc, so anything goes with these motors.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links