CM400t build/new member intro - Page 4
Close

CM400t build/new member intro

This is a discussion on CM400t build/new member intro within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Huh, good to know. I knew the engines were pretty prolific, but that's interesting that they were sold that way. Too bad the 450's with ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Huh, good to know. I knew the engines were pretty prolific, but that's interesting that they were sold that way. Too bad the 450's with the 6 speed aren't more common, at least in my area, or that could be a nice upgrade.

And Ken, I do understand damping and such. I haven't had a motorcycle fork apart before so I have a bit of learning to do, but it seems pretty straightforward. From the sound of it, I'm getting the impression that there is no valving difference for low versus high speed damping? For now I'm just going to work with the springs, and once I get it all back together and ride it I'll be able to tell what changes I'll have to make for damping. From riding so far, I'm getting the impression that with 15w fork oil and stiffer springs, compression is actually pretty close and rebound should be stiffened up a bit. Again though, I'll have to ride before I can actually see and feel what the difference will be. I get out of school May 7th, so that's when the fun will begin, haha.
    '79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    1989 Caprice Classic wagon 5.7 TBI, 5 speed manual
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

Correct, no low speed damping in your forks. You get why that makes unsprung even more your enemy?

I'd quess, just making shit up, your stock springs are in the .4- .5 kg/cm3 range. Depending on your weight, you'll end up in the .8- .9 kg/cm3 range.

Seems like you understand. This'll be fun.

Yeah... I had no idea how primitive these forks were haha. Now I understand why emulators come so highly recommended. Out of curiosity, I may end up weighing all the brake hardware I'm swapping to see what the weight change is.

Also, it turns out that the fork travel stop (the one that keeps the bars from hitting the tank) was bent at some point and the tank was repaired with Bondo. Well, the thickness is ridiculous and cracked in the sun the other day, so it looks like I'll be reconditioning the tank. the sheetmetal doesn't seem terribly thick, so maybe I'll be able to pop the dent out with compressed air or maybe even one of those glue-on dent removal tools. I want to keep the paint job relatively cheap and somewhat subtle, so I may keep the flat black and add gloss black accents, or perhaps vice versa. regardless, it will be simple.

Can't wait for summer to start wrenching again...

'79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Put a cx500/650 STD tank on it instead. Ask spiff how to do this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Yeah, I saw the half-writeup on the tank. It doesn't seem to bad, I like the looks, and the extra capacity is nice. I'll be keeping my eye out for one of those tanks.

Also installed 'superbike' bars today. I still have some work to do shortening controls and tidying it all up, but holy crap is it a huge improvement over the stock bars. Makes the bike so much more comfortable and controllable, and riding is a ton more enjoyable. It still isn't fast, but at least it's fun to ride through curves and such now. Now to figure out rearsets to compete the riding position... Pics to come.
    '79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

And as another little update, my car started to overheat on the way back to college (suspecting something to do with a 250k-mile head gasket, 10:1 compression ratio, and a turbo...) so I limped the car home after cooling it off and bleeding the system on the side of the road, and then loaded the bike up with 2 big backpacks and rode 2 hours to Purdue. the bike handled the highway just fine and cruised at 70mph with no issues. It was actually really comfortable, except for my ankles....need those rearsets. People always seem to say these bikes don't have enough power on the highway... I never had an issue. I never had to downshift, even. Just crank the throttle and go. That said, more power is always good, but this seemed adequate.

Only minor issue: both screws in the tach managed to vibrate themselves loose, and the faceplate came off while riding. I pulled the cable off so that I wouldn't catch one of the screws in the spinning bits inside the tach, but looks like I'm gonna have to repair that soon.
    '79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

they only place they don't have enough power is the highway on ramp.

by the way, what e30 parts do you have? I am in need of a few things.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

clusters, US ellipsoids, buttons, a few head units, seats, speakers, door cards, dashboard (that might be sold) Konig rims, facelift tail lights, HVAC panels, cruise retrofits, airbag parts, full OBC retrofits, a toolkit, US grilles, marker lights...lots of stuff haha. Let me know what you need. If I don't have it, I might be able to get ahold of it for you.
    '79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

Well my car is a 1991 vert with diving boards ( rare, I know) in bronzit beige metallic. Right now I need a left door card (same as 2 door) in that light tan color. I also need a left taillight as some schmuck cracked mine while pulling out of a parkIng space with his dodge. Also I need a set of rear coil springs.

I actually need a lot more but these are the initial things.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Actually more than anything I need a good lowmileage fully assembled 325i head that I can just bolt on. A couple of came followers in my head have gone bad and the car is noisey as a mother. Need it for cheap too.

By the way, which bike did you actually ride, the black one or the red one?
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links