New here. 1975 CB360. - Page 2
Close

New here. 1975 CB360.

This is a discussion on New here. 1975 CB360. within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; No biggie. I'm a grown ass man. It's my first bike and I'm psyched on it. I know not everyone is gonna be down with ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    No biggie. I'm a grown ass man. It's my first bike and I'm psyched on it.

I know not everyone is gonna be down with what I'm doing to my bike and so be it.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any (constructive) advice on getting this bike running well.

First a bicycle guy, then a car guy and now I'm getting into bikes. I'm a gearhead and love all things mechanical, at least we should agree on that.

I don't have a ton of money or time. That's why I'm doing things the way I am. Call it a hack job if ya like, but it's my hack job and I'm proud of it.

So again, if anyone has anything constructive to say, please do. If not, say what you will and just know that I'm gonna have more fun than you building my first bike for next to nothing.

Cheers -Adam
    I\'d hate to be you if you were me.

Stop everything you're doing to that bike, push it out of the garage (I assume it still doesn't run), and wash it! Next, put the front fender back on. Spindly little forks need the fender mount because it's also the fork brace. Replace the tires, and unless you weigh just under 85lbs, and never ever ever plan to give anybody a ride, get some new, heavier sprung shocks on the back end - something for a SOHC CB750 would do nicely, and as an added benefit, will raise the rear end about an inch. This will sharpen up the handling a bit. Fuck it... regardless of your weight & intended use of the bike, replace those garbage stock shocks. If you want, you can lower the forks in the trees no more than 1", but this combination of higher rear and lower front will make it a bit twitchy. Just be aware. Besides, once you raise the rear, lowering the front will keep the side stand functional. Ask me how I know all this.

Oooops... I'm getting ahead of myself... Bike still doesn't run, does it? Get a shop manual. Change the oil. Do a complete tune up. Adjust camchain tension, valves, gap & set timing, new spark plugs...
    Don't bother to put your air filters back on yet, because I suspect you'll be pulling off your carbs and disassembling them for a thorough cleaning (I suspect the bike has been sitting, neglected, for many a year, which means the tank is prolly full of crud & your carbs have varnish in them). Among the reasons the bike only ran on one cylinder, is that they drop a cylinder when the battery isn't holding a charge. If you haven't already bought a new battery, do so... and make sure it's fully charged. Don't charge up the battery that was in the bike when you bought it, buy a new one. Now you can put the air filters back on. Bike will run better with them on. Hell... might not hurt to replace (or at the very least, lubricate) a few cables. Why not? Your carburetors are gonna be off anyway.

I'm not familiar with early Honda disc brakes, but I'm willing to bet you need a new caliper piston. The current one is all corroded & pitted, isn't it? And isn't there a rubber o-ring in there? (There is. Bet it needs replaced) You probably need a m/c rebuild as well.

Now you're ready for some cosmetic changes - make her more handsome (or would that be pretty?).

Ooops... hold the phone... Just noticed you're leaking a fair bit of oil from the top end. Know where that's coming from? Willing to bet at least some of it's coming from your points cover because of a bad gasket. There's a couple rubber plugs in there that you need to have, too. Make sure they're there.
    Oh... BTW, Honda has discontinued that points cover gasket. Check with your Honda dealer anyway. That's how I found out it was discontinued. My local dealer had 2 left on the shelves, so I bought both to have a spare.
    Hmmm... nope, don't think it's the points cover... looks like the cam box. Rumors abound about top end oiling problems with this model. I've had no trouble like that, but it might be something you want to look into, no? I mean, if I had a bike with a reputation for burning up the top end from lack of oil, and mine was leaking oil from the top end... well, you get the idea.

Finally, ready for the cosmetics...

Handlebars have a nice bend, but black motocross bars look dopey on a street bike... get some chrome superbike bars. And ditch the new headlight mounts. They stick your headlight too far out there in the front. Put it back the way it was, with the original mount. The stock tail light is huge & ugly for sure, but I bet your "stop" light isn't DOT legal.

Now, how many miles on this thing (my guess is 8,000-ish), what did you pay for it (my guess is $1,000), and did it come with a clear title? (I'm giving you a little credit - yes, it did)
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Oooops... just re-read OP's initial post. Said he got it for cheap (probably because it doesn't run?). Gonna revise my purchase price estimate to $500, and I might now be on the fence about title.
    BTW, since you haven't filled out your bio, and we don't know where you live, I can't say for sure, but you might want to look into laws regarding mirrors & turn signals. Don't need turn signals here in MI, but mirrors are required. Just something to think about, since it doesn't looks like you plan to put your turn signals back on.

And I have a question: You say CB360 is one of your favorite bikes of all time, no? But you've never owned one that ran. So what makes it a favorite? Can't be the crisp handling, or blinding acceleration, since you've never experienced those. It's a weird favorite - generally considered uglier than the bike it replaced in Honda's lineup (CB350), and inferior to it performance-wise.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Brevity's underrated

Fill in your bio. This is a real community, you might get real life help if'n your close to someone else.

Buy a manual. Start with a Clymer. Factory manuals assume a level of knowledge you may or may not have. Many times I end up with both.

Start with the fuel system. Clean tank/carbs. Don't modify the airbox/exhaust until you can make it run properly stock.

quote:Originally posted by roccitycafe

what's wrong with side mount plates???
    We find them unsightly.

You should have received the memo, check your junk folder.

ugggh. adam, please fill out your bio. and please tell me that you are at least located somewhere in southeastern pennsylvania, or in pennsylvania at the least to call your bike philly. then promise me you will make it really cool. if not i'm vowed to throw batteries and snowballs at it, and applaud if it ever has a career ending injury (like a complete bottom end seizure).

how about calling it michael irvin?

anyway, harden the eff up, fill out your bio, and stick around. if not, there is always DTT.

cheers,

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Alright, here's a little more about me and the bike.

I'm 34, I live in central Ill. My first bike was a red 74 or 75 CB360 that had a broken kickstart shaft and I got it down to that point and gave up after the C-clip that held it in went flying and I lost interest eventually... I was 15 at the time.

I spent the next bunch of years riding my BMX bike (and getting pretty good at it by the way) and working at a bicycle shop in high school. I worked at a bunch of bike shops in and about Chicago, building experience on the way.

As I said, I'm a bicycle person first. I have about 20 bikes in various states of working and non. A few years ago I was given an '87 Volvo 740 turbo wagon for free and was hooked on the cars. I've owned several older Volvo's since and I'm a huge fan of those cars. My dad is an old school hotrodder and I got the mechanical bug from him.

So, here's where I'm at today. I found this bike in the garage of the apartment I'm currently living at. I'd been interested in getting a bike for a few years now, but with two kids and working as a bicycle mechanic, money and time are tight. I got a hold of the landlord and he said make him an offer, so I figured he'd want like $500 or so. I played dumb and said I had no idea what it was worth and he came back with $150. I about shit, and said cool.

The bike was complete and had plates from 2001. There's no real rust on it, but the tank was rusted up inside a bit and the fuel that came out was doo doo brown. I flushed the tank with paint thinner and jostled around a handful of washers and CLR in it and busted up a bunch of rust. It cleaned up alright and I cleaned the crap out of the petcock... The seal were all bad and I just went ahead and ordered a new one (I'm still waiting on it). I tried the "rebuilt" petcock and a couple of new fuel filters and got it to run on the one cylinder that I mentioned earlier. I've yet to dig into the carbs, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to. I'm not scared.

Yeah, the front caliper is pretty well shot. There's no pitting in the aluminum. but the piston has some corrosion on it and the seal is pretty ratty. I'd like to run a straight line to the front brake with a new lever and master cylinder, but if I can just get a hold of a decent caliper that'd be cool too.

I know I may be going about this all differently than most people would, but it's just something fun for me, and I'm into it for so little I almost can't lose. I'm still under $300 with the price of the bike and any crap I've bought for it so far.

Oh, and I do have the title in hand but haven't paid to put it in my name until I get it running and around the block once or twice. I'd hate to title it and have it not work out then have to junk it... This isn't my first field trip.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't know everything about bikes. That's why I'm here... But I'm no moron, nor am I an asshole. I'm just a working stiff that want's to get his bike on the road and do it for as little as possible so that if something doesn't work out I aint gonna be too disappointed.

Oh, by the way. There is an '80 or '81 CB750K in the garage as well. I think I'm gonna offer him another $150 for it and maybe I can get that one "right".
    I\'d hate to be you if you were me.

now that is a good into. update your member profile to include "central illinois" or your town and state in the location part. i really don't give a shit about name, unless the member has a really stupid login like "CB750MasterBuilderaSaurus" where i would refuse to address him/her in any future posts.

as it was said earlier here.....this is a living community of racers, builders, and enthusiasts (in that order). we don't pull punches, and offer opinions and advise as we see fit without any filters.

i have faith in you adam, and your build (but i still reserve the right to dub the bike michael irvin). welcome to the board.....BTW: nice score.

tex

advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

tex, you suck.....haha....

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

Hey... I was correct on the caliper, and Michael Irvin's shitty gas tank full of bad gas, as well as the carburettors (gonna need a rebuild)... additionally, aftermarket mufflers mean it may (or may not) require re-jetting.

$150 is a steal, if Michael Irwin ever sees the road. Depending on mileage, that could be (or could have been, before rear fender butchery) a $1,200 bike.

Several of Judey's other compelling questions were not addressed, and I'm beginning to think OP has something against him. Or, perhaps, OP doesn't like all your attitudes, and he is just taking it out on Judey.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links