1964 (I think) Honda C100 cub
Close

This is a discussion on 1964 (I think) Honda C100 cub within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So my wife bought a c100 cub few years back kind of out of a whim. Really because I was raving how cool they are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So my wife bought a c100 cub few years back kind of out of a whim. Really because I was raving how cool they are and I already had too many projects to justify getting one.
    The bike was ok, did run but didn't change gears and kicker shaft was busted. That time I bought a mangled c102 engine from ebay for 40$ and got the trans and kicker from it. I did a total tear down and put it together and was very proud that the bike did run. Now it has been sitting for almost 2 years and as wife is gone for most of the summer so I am trying to step up and fix up the whole bike.

I have ordered bunch of parts already - tires, spokes, brake shoes, brake cable etc. On Thursday I took front wheel apart but really only started today.

Lets go to pics:

engine after rebuild

test run from almost 2yrs ago. Its not as clean as it looks here.

Closest to a before picture - this was today morning.

this gives a general idea. Specs of rust everywhere but not super bad. Rear rime is quite pitted - contemplating on buying a new one. $60 or so... Spokes I already ordered ~$30 per wheel.

This is where I got in few hours.

started scrubbing the hub when I took the front wheel apart.

Speedo bezel cleaned up better than expected.

Front handlebars have integrated cover sheet metal. It is spot welded to the actual bar. On this bike the bodywork has been smashed a bit. Tricky to straighten - would have to drill/dremel the spot welds off from quite numerous spots to get access. Not sure if I want to got there.

-

nice project. I am crazy for those little hondas and have several .
    On eBay classic scooter parts has a good deal on complete wheels. I bought spokes from him , $29 for both wheels . Not if you want to put the spokes on original rims you will have to drill the holes out a bit. They will fit the aftermarket wheels. Apexcycle has good prices on new rims.

I have had good luck with stuff from western hills Honda too. If you get stuck I have a couple parts bikes.

Keep posting pics.

Thanks
    Jack

thanks for teh info on the rims. I ended up ordering them as my rear is pitted already and if the new spokes will not work without head ache might as well fork the 60$.

My biggest problem is that the community machine shop I was counting on will be closed for summer - no more access to much anything - sandblasting being one of the big ones.
    -

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Interesting. This is a pretty nice little project. Be nice for putting around the neighborhood.

Nice bike, terrible footwear

hey its California - flip flops almost year around.
    Photo was taken when I was push starting the thing after motor rebuild. It doesn't have pegs in picture either - I would not leave the yard riding in flip flops.

I got tires today, front hub is as "polished" as I will bother. Should get rims tomorrow (classicscooterparts), also got brake pads and cable waiting. Apex cycle doesn't respond to emails and I haven't even gotten a confirmation though I ordered a week ago. Irritating. Otherwise I would have everything I need for the wheels for the weekend.
    -

Apex runs hot and cold. I have had good luck. With Classic Scooter Parts you have to watch the pictures, Howard sometimes says it MAY fit a c100 but it really won't. I have noticed this mostly on front fenders (c100's have the tabs on the top sides, C50's don't) and exhausts.

How did you get the sidecover of the motor to look so nice? Whatever it was I need to do that with my bikes.

Jack

https://picasaweb.google.com/kerosen...05016114186594

flip through the images

Case Cover painting c100 supercub 1965.
    1. washed parts well with soap and some car wash solvent.
    2. I removed old paint with aircraft paint remover (or paint stripper names vary). This stuff is nasty - Use thick rubber gloves, eye protection and long sleeves. Good ventilation and place where you can rinse yourself quickly is a must. Crazy stuff. But works.
    3. Used oven cleaner (it eats anodized layer and aluminum) in hopes to get some of the oxidation off - dunno if it did much. Don't leave oven cleaner on aluminum for long time.
    4. Sanded with 220 grit to smooth out oxidized areas and to give a little better surface for paint to stick. Also smoothed edges of some scratches - didn't try to make it perfect though - I had limited time.
    5. Painted with duplicolor aluminum engine enamel - no prior experience but this was recommended on motorcycle forums - also VHT SP123 is supposed to be good color and durable.

baking the paint is supposed to help it become super hard and more oil/gas resistant.
    -

Got front wheel together. Apex cycle never sent the spokes and hasn't responded in anyway so far (over a month). Annoying. waiting to get money back.
    Anyways I got my spokes then through classicscooterparts which was cheaper too - thanks for the tip.

Painted the brake drum 'cooling area' with duplicolor engine enamel and cooked in gas BBQ at 300 degrees F. Didn't want to polish the area between spokes as its impossible to maintain later.

wheel with new Michelin gazelle 2.25 17 tire (about $25 shipped)

-

Tire spikes, should be great for ice racing

...jus kidding, that looks like a very nice tire for the $
    check out the little white snake in the lower 2 photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links