Short Muffler
Close

Short Muffler

This is a discussion on Short Muffler within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm seeking opinions, please. I found some very short (about 16" total length) glasspack-type mufflers. Below is a crude photoshop effort of the existing mufflers ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Muffler

Short Muffler

I'm seeking opinions, please. I found some very short (about 16" total length) glasspack-type mufflers. Below is a crude photoshop effort of the existing mufflers and what the new muffler might look like. Any thoughts?

I'm not going to answer your question as asked. If you have spent more than 30 seconds on this forum, this should come as no surprise. Choice of exhaust should not be a primarily visual exercise. If you drop the stock mufflers and replace them with these, you will almost certainly note performance loss. Whether this loss can be recovered with carb retuning is a question I leave to the 350 guys. If you want a real exhaust system on your 350, buy one from Rosko.

You also need a front fender or fork brace, and those air filters are probably not doing you any favors, either.

Not a good move IMHO. Stock mufflers work remarkably well and shorties - well - not so much.

Stock upswept pipes look pretty good, shorties, look like a poor man's afterthought. That's just my opinion, yur mileage may vary.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If you're talking about the 12" shorties shown here:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-plat...=c14658f4o20j3

Bad idea. Had them on my CB360 when I bought it. Much too loud. And the bike ran like crap.
    Found some period aftermarket mufflers on eBay for $25, that angle up like the stock units.
    Of course, I have the stock airbox on mine. 360 needs some backpressure & those shorties provide none.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

spacmanspif300 - I [u]have</u> spent a little time on these forums and know all-too well how caustic some responses can be. The lack of a front fender/brace (as well as the lack of the rear inner fender and chaiguard) has already been the subject of much discussion.

The pod filters work pretty well according to the tuner who sync'd the carbs (no rejetting required), plus I've seen other bikes here that use them. Having a free-flowing exhaust (or at least less-restrictive than stock) allows for better performance, which is exactly how an aftermarket pipe works. My budget, unfortunately, doesn't allow for a 2-into-1 exhaust. Straight pipes aren't an option because they're too loud. Glass packs are louder than stock but quieter than straight pipes. Since they've been around for about 50 years, their abilities (and shortcomings) are well-known.

I'm not a newbie regarding motorcycles or preformance (take a look here: http://projectvf.com/ProjectVF%20Tec...20Research.htm ). I'm not too keen on the appearance myself, which is why I'm looking for the opinions of others. Some have dinged me for retaining the stock mufflers, so I'm looking at some different, cost-effective options.

Teazer - I like the stock mufflers but others here have given me a little grief about them. I think the shorties might work well but, like you, they look kinda cheap.

I do appreciate the feedback from both of you.

Judeyramone - thanks for the advice. These are one's on eBay I was considering. I'd sandblast off the chrome and paint them black to match the rest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...Q5fAccessories

Look pretty much the same as what I had. Really loud. Obnoxious loud.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Look into the Roadhawk shorty reverse cone megaphones. 17" long and will work way better than the ones you're looking at. They run about $50 each.

The Roadhawk looks kinda cool. I also found this on eBay, described as a Moto GP muffler. It's also a glass pack type. Unfortunately, two plus shipping is $125 which is approaching the cost of a brand-new 2-into-1 pipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-3-4...Q5fAccessories

Free flowing pipes provide a performance improvement only when the existing pipes are causing a noticeable restriction to power. Stock OEM pipes are a good match to a basically stock motor. Short straight through pipes are less effective than straight pipes and make more noise than stock pipes. You lose both ways.

More to the point, the volume is too small to effectively muffle the noise and they are too short to be beneficial for exhaust harmonics.

If you like the stock pipes, who cares what your buddies think about them. So many people think that it's all about short pipes and pods and other changes that make the bike work less efficiently than stock but it's kewel looking cafe racer thing so it's supposed to be noisy and anti social. Screw that.

Tests back in the day didn't find too many aftermarket mufflers that helped performance on that bike or most others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links