honda 350 - Page 5
Close

honda 350

This is a discussion on honda 350 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; quote: Originally posted by jackshite video of the first start: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...firststart.mp4 Ha! This vid is worth watching just for the look of pure demonic joy ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: honda 350

quote:Originally posted by jackshite

video of the first start:

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...firststart.mp4
    Ha! This vid is worth watching just for the look of pure demonic joy on Jack's face when the bike starts.

i commend you on not reving the shit out of it on the 1st start up!!
    Johnnyracer

quote:Originally posted by champ

i commend you on not reving the shit out of it on the 1st start up!!
    thanks! to tell you the truth, i was so excited, i may have over-revved it a little bit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:
    thanks! to tell you the truth, i was so excited, i may have over-revved it a little bit.
    meh, highly doubt it; it is a 350 after all. good work, j!
    iphone generated fag

post-weekend update:

lots of little things i've been learning regarding a full reassembly...(and my first bike was a '68 bonneville that came mostly in a box)

if the gearshift assembly isn't positioned just right, it won't upshift. had me thinking there was a transmission issue until i tried moving it a spline or two.

taller tires require a longer chain.

SL clutch ass'y/sprocket cover is deeper, requiring longer bolts. clutch cable is on, clutch adjuster assembly is all cleaned/setup.

got the carbs synced and set so it will idle. then i was able to dial in the timing with a light. got the full advance timing set, then dialed in the idle timing on the ignition module. very cool!

checked the oil flow to the head via the block-off bolt, all is good.

it sounds really good, nice throttle response off-idle. can't wait to take it for a test ride...waiting on payday for a new front brake cable, assorted hardware, etc.

looking into converting my rear to a cable-pull. scouring innernets for info and related parts.

also came up with a solid idea for the seat. need to get some thicker foam block for the base (got a roll of HQ neoprene for the top layer), then i can get it shaped and off to the upholsterer asap.

+1

quote:Originally posted by OC Steve

quote:Originally posted by jackshite

video of the first start:

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...firststart.mp4
    Ha! This vid is worth watching just for the look of pure demonic joy on Jack's face when the bike starts.
    -

made some more progress...

some of the material and tools i was working with. real rudimentary stuff. especially the shorter, dull carving knife.

i bought a couple squares of cushion foam and some adhesive from the fabrics store. i bought two in case i screwed up the first attempt.

i roughed out a shape. you can see where i drew a few different ideas for the shape of the rear section.

at this point, i've started smooth shaping it with a scotch-pad on a rotary tool (thanks, roomie!). waaay too time consuming and messy. but it's starting to take shape.

i spent a good amount of time coming up with a shape that would raise the back end up a bit visually, and also compliment the lines already established by the bike.

i contoured the edges and did a check on the bike to see how it came out.

it's not mounted, so it's a little skewed in this pic, but you get the idea...

overall, i'm really happy with how it came out. i'll take it to a shop for a final shaping and upholstery. just have to figure out the mounts first.

still have to arc the front shoes and dial in that brake, make sure the forks are nice and straight and drill and mount the fork brace.

but, yeah, it's rolling under it's own power!

it's got a 17t countersprocket (did all SL's come with this gearing?), coupled with my stock 36t rear. you'd think it'd be a dog down low, but it's surprisingly torquey. i further synced the carb slides, and it was fun to blast around my neighborhood, which has lots of hills and curves.

still lots of little things to do, lights, mufflers, paint, etc., but it was such a kick-ass feeling to ride it and have it actually run really, really good (so far!) shit-tons more get-up and go than my old set-up. sounds farking mean with no mufflers!

What did you do for a torque arm on that front brake? I can't see one in any of the pictures. Obviously it can't be ridden much without mufflers - what are your plans for mufflers that fit in with the sixties MX look?

And as a final Q. Is there enough clearance with those shocks. It looks like you could run out of clearance but pics can sometime deceive.

quote:Originally posted by Teazer

What did you do for a torque arm on that front brake? I can't see one in any of the pictures. Obviously it can't be ridden much without mufflers - what are your plans for mufflers that fit in with the sixties MX look?

And as a final Q. Is there enough clearance with those shocks. It looks like you could run out of clearance but pics can sometime deceive.
    the front brake cable isn't hooked up in those pics. i used the brake stay from the 350 front drum, just had to rotate the assembly to fit.

i have two sets of mufflers that look like crap on the bike...i was hoping to be able to use a pair while i get the exhaust i want built sorted, but i'm not happy with either of them.

i know these engines need a certain type of exhaust design to perform optimally, and that's my main goal, but aesthetics/sound are also important.
    i'm more looking for a resonator, not an actual 'muffler'.

i'd like to run as close to straight pipes as possible, like the TT pipes on my old bonneville, but from what i've read, they make the engine run like crap.
    i saw a racing exhaust setup made in england that was really cool, 2-2 TT pipes run under the bike, muffler turnouts just before the rear wheel. that would be pretty cool, but i can't remember/find the site for the maker, and they were stupidly expensive with the exchange rate.

so, still figuring out exhaust.

final Q, shock clearance...funny you mention that, i'm looking for a decent set of hagons for a cb750 at the moment. clearance isn't too bad (fender is hammered under seat, shocks set to firmest settings), probably about 3.5" from tire to fender, but i want the back raised up to get the look and stance right, and the clearance as well.

anyone want to trade my 350 hagons for your 750s?

A longer torque arm may make it easier to get a brake cable that fits and would create a much shorter run.

On the mufflers, you might be able to modify the pipes to run under the motor like your old T120 TT pipes and fit a pair of straight through mufflers. That would certainly work well for the look you're creating.The exhaust system would still be a little short but for street riding it might be OK. You could get really clever and do a set of pipes like the set that Craig Vetter designed for the T140. They look like a pair of small individual mufflers but it was actually a larger single can IIRC.

A small dual entry car muffler might be modifiable, or grab a pair of cheap mufflers, split then down the center lines and weld in a top and bottom section and change the baffles internally to make use of the extra volume. Honda did something similar on the 400 Hawk with a resonant chamber, but they had a muffler after that.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Sponsored Links