honda 350
Close

honda 350

This is a discussion on honda 350 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; i wish we had the option to completely delete old/redundant threads...i'm catching some heat for maybe getting rid of a bit of useful info. wasn't ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: honda 350

honda 350

i wish we had the option to completely delete old/redundant threads...i'm catching some heat for maybe getting rid of a bit of useful info. wasn't my intention, just felt like it was covered better elsewhere.

that being said, here's the new build thread.
    a lot of time has passed since i started this little project. i've learned a lot and hopefully it will translate to the end result.

originally this was a '72 cb350k4 that i spent a lot of time and money on. engine trouble (bits of rubber and metal in the oil) turned into a full disassembly, which turned into a full redo (cracked frame, etc.)

i stockpiled a bunch of goodies for the bike, then reality hit in the form of a break-up with the girl, moving out, etc. i sold a bunch of stuff to get into a new place.

fast forward to a couple months ago...
    a friend was getting rid of much of his 350 parts, so i was able to replace pretty much everything i'd sold last fall.

this got the ball rolling on the project again. it's got so much different stuff on it now, it's not really a cb, hence "honda 350".

here's where i'm at right now:

replacement cb frame was found (late '71 build date), cleaned up and modified. boxed seat rails, ground and welded all seams, installed rear loop and underseat battery tray.
    aftermarket fender cut and mounted. seat pan made.
    early cb front end with NOS 70's aluminum fork brace, cl450 front wheel.
    stock cb350 rear wheel. (in fact, the only parts left from the original bike are the swingarm, rear wheel, and footpeg bracket/kickstand)
    wheel bearings/seals were checked, cleaned/greased, new brake shoes, new dunlop k70's. new swingarm bushings.
    all chrome and aluminum parts have been blasted/scotch-brited to a 'brushed' finish (rims, fender/bars, fork tubes, etc.)

engine is an SL bottom end (second gen, minus e-start), modded cb top...honed cylinders (stock bore), new rings, tsubaki HD cam chain, KA tensioner, intake and exhaust ports cleaned-up/matched, valve job, type-1 cam/followers, HD clutch springs, rick's uprated stator/rect/reg, boretech elec ignition, dyna mini-coils, vm30's/k&n filters/cb360 intakes. still need to make the exhaust (stainless 2-1).

just finished top-end assembly this past weekend. we have a dyno at my roomie's shop, so it'll be tuned and we'll see where it's at asap.

yet to do: figure out seat mount, clean up a few welds, then frame/swingarm/etc. is ready for paint. tank will be de-rusted and painted in the next couple weeks.
    still have a few bits to get: ass't hardware, cable adjuster for brake lever, seat foamed and cover made, headlight and mounting, tail light...

some pics:

as it sits from this past weekend

getting the top end on and cam chain together

first attempt at a seat pan, made from scrap from work

it fits

forgive the mess and clutter, we literally have no room in the garage with both roomies' racebikes and projects.

more as i get it done...

Does the SL motor fit in a CB frame? I have an SL frame with a SL engine, and didn't think it would work. Just curious if you had tried mounting the engine yet.
    Inertial dynos just make people cranky

so glad to see you back at it, j!

cheers!
    iphone generated fag

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Pretty sure they fit.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

please tell me that it is more of a tracker than a "brat" bike. I tired of those.

And it is looking great!
    -

quote:Originally posted by imslow

Does the SL motor fit in a CB frame? I have an SL frame with a SL engine, and didn't think it would work. Just curious if you had tried mounting the engine yet.
    my friend i got the engine from told me the right lower mount (as you sit on the bike) would have to be relocated, so i cut it off without checking.
    when it came time to weld the mount in place, we found that if it was relocated, it was only by a very small amount. i haven't checked the top mounts, but the bottom ones are all pretty much stock. YMMV.

quote:Originally posted by kerosene

please tell me that it is more of a tracker than a "brat" bike. I tired of those.

And it is looking great!
    thanks.

although it has a brat/gravel crew/wrenchmonkees influence, the biggest inspiration is this bike from japan (not sure of the builder):

minus the scrambler pipes and rearsets, that's pretty much how it should end up. similar color, too.

cylinder head is back off to mill further. cam chain tensioner is getting stuck when everything is torqued down.

off to roomie's shop to get it sorted, then back together. have to take the engine over to a local cycle shop to have the cam chain master link riveted. they have an old yamaha tool that looks like a bolt cutter.

engine should be in frame by saturday. weekend wiring harness goodness. 100+ temps.

speaking of wiring - you building a new harness?

Any suggestions for good sources for wiring components. I need to do a harness from scratch and would like to use honda-style round connectors.
    -

quote:Originally posted by kerosene

speaking of wiring - you building a new harness?

Any suggestions for good sources for wiring components. I need to do a harness from scratch and would like to use honda-style round connectors.
    Not to thread jack, but...

I pretty much did just that with the harness I built. OEM type connectors are f-crimp/open barrel so you need to make sure you have the right tool to crimp em. I got all the oem style wire I needed from Corey at lloydvintage.com. He's got the connectors as well, but I also found them a bit cheaper in bulk on these sites. They sell the tool also if you need it...

Cheapest spot I found:
    http://www.vintageconnections.com/
    (check out their price list)

Another option:
    http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/connectors.html

I think I posted a few pics of my harness on my build thread...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links