buy an sr400 or cafe my M600 monster?
Close

This is a discussion on buy an sr400 or cafe my M600 monster? within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; This is my first post here. I was putting my m600 back together after a fall that I had but when i got it on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is my first post here. I was putting my m600 back together after a fall that I had but when i got it on the road for the first time my first gear decided to disappear after a few min of riding. anyway a mechanic has it now to take a closer look at it. im not that mechanically minded although i have learnt a lot since owning this bike.

When i get it back i have to decide whether to get rid of it and buy something more cafe suited or cafe the monster.

i found a 750ss on wrenchmonkees.com ( http://wrenchmonkees.com/monkee20.html ) i love the seat and cowl but they wont make another. ive seen a few people make their own. is it that hard?

I just want to hear your thoughts are on the cafe monster. by the looks of most c/racers the cc's are around the 400 mark.

cheers
    Dom
    ducati m600
    yamaha xv250

I'm sure this isn't the answer you want but IMHO if you're going to "cafe" your Monster the easiest way to do it is:

1) Sell the Monster
    2) Buy a mid '90s 900ss

Done. You'll likely save time and money, and end up with a more capable bike.

Ok, fine, I get it. You don't want a supersport, you want a modified Monster. Fair enough.

What do you envision is involved in "cafe'ing" a Monster? Performance-wise I can't imagine that an SR400 will match a Monster in handling or braking, so I'm guessing it's mainly styling in this case... which means adding clip-ons and a new tail section? Sounds relatively simple to me. There are countless Monsters out there that have already been modified so you have a lot of examples to inspire you. I'd suggest finding a Monster that looks kinda sorta like what you have in mind and asking about that. Making a tail and seat is easy for some, impossible for others. Not to mention that what some people would be happy to end up with, others would consider a total failure and bin it.

Most cafe racers are around 400cc's? Not in the group of bikes I'd use for inspiration they're not...

-Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Either way I dont think it is all that worth it to even fix your m600. Unless it is one made in the last 5 years you can pick one up in the $2000 range. $1000 more and you can usually find a cosmetically beat but functional 90's 900ss which is such a better bike.

The wrenchmonkees seat wouldn't fit your monster anyway. The SS and the monster have much different frames.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Thanks for the replies guys,
    Desmodog, your right it wouldnt take much to mod but i think itd be a good stepping stone.
    itd be great to keep the monster as a run around and work on something else.
    I know that seat wont fit the monster but if i buy a spare seat i can use its plastic frame and build a cowl on that.
    we'll see how things go!
    cheers
    Dom
    ducati m600
    yamaha xv250

Thanks for the replies guys,
    Desmodog, your right it wouldnt take much to mod but i think itd be a good stepping stone.
    itd be great to keep the monster as a run around and work on something else.
    I know that seat wont fit the monster but if i buy a spare seat i can use its plastic frame and build a cowl on that.
    we'll see how things go!
    cheers
    Dom
    ducati m600
    yamaha xv250

In many ways, the Monster captures the spirit of Cafe Racers. It's not clip ons and rear sets but it's fairly stripped down, very competent bike. It's also fairly reliable and easy to find a shop that can supposedly fix it.

There is also a ton of aftermarket stuff around. I'd recommend buying a project bike to tinker with but keep the mini monster and get a seat or replacement rear cowl in more of a sixties bum stop shape. For street use the riding position is already pretty good, but you could look at alternative bars. You could probably get some spoked wheels laced up too

A bevel 900SS would be nice but it's not a practical bike with all those speed (I mean safety) cams around. Monster is arguably a better platform to start from for a rider.

In many ways, the Monster captures the spirit of Cafe Racers. It's not clip ons and rear sets but it's fairly stripped down, very competent bike. It's also fairly reliable and easy to find a shop that can supposedly fix it.

There is also a ton of aftermarket stuff around. I'd recommend buying a project bike to tinker with but keep the mini monster and get a seat or replacement rear cowl in more of a sixties bum stop shape. For street use the riding position is already pretty good, but you could look at alternative bars. You could probably get some spoked wheels laced up too

A bevel 900SS would be nice but it's not a practical bike with all those speed (I mean safety) cams around. Monster is arguably a better platform to start from for a rider.

There is an Imola seat they make for the sportclassics. Pricy but maybe you can get it to work with your monster frame.

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

There is an Imola seat they make for the sportclassics. Pricy but maybe you can get it to work with your monster frame.

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links