Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco - Page 29
Close

Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

This is a discussion on Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; One of my bikes has some monkey motion that goes through an engine mounting plate. There is a ball bearing recessed into the plat to ...

Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

One of my bikes has some monkey motion that goes through an engine mounting plate. There is a ball bearing recessed into the plat to support the shift shaft and reduce friction. Even with that, it's very susceptible to get stiff if there is any distortion of the plate. Works fine if set up right. You may want to build it around ball bearings rather than bushings.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    One of my bikes has some monkey motion that goes through an engine mounting plate. There is a ball bearing recessed into the plat to support the shift shaft and reduce friction. Even with that, it's very susceptible to get stiff if there is any distortion of the plate. Works fine if set up right. You may want to build it around ball bearings rather than bushings.
    Thanks for encouraging me to do that. I was looking at some of the smaller ball and needle bearing sizes on McMaster-Carr's website.
    "With idiotic intentions come idiotic victories" – Salvage Bultaco franken-bike build log

Just leave it on the right. My Sportster is a right side shift. It is easy to get used to. If I move the pegs back, I'll probably just flip the lever and have a right side GP shift pattern. One weekend many years ago I was racing at Grattan. Our endurance bike was an RZ350 with standard shift. My sprint bike was an XL500 with GP shift. I rode another guys Triton with right side GP shift and another guys Triumph 650 with right side standard shift. I only missed 1 shift the entire weekend when I tried to downshift with the brake at the end of the front straight. I still made the turn, but scared one of my friends as I blew by him on the inside.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

Yeah, that's not me. I had a BSA B50SS as my regular ride for almost a year. I never quite stopped trying to upshift with the underside of the brake pedal. I've had my Can-Am Spyder for four years now and after a ride on my Honda I'll still try to grab the front brake that's not there.
    "With idiotic intentions come idiotic victories" – Salvage Bultaco franken-bike build log

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    Thanks for encouraging me to do that. I was looking at some of the smaller ball and needle bearing sizes on McMaster-Carr's website.
    If were mine, I'd use ball bearings rather than needle bearings. The balls will tolerate a little more misalignment which might occur just from clearance between the mounting bolts/studs and the holes in the engine plates etc. Also, if you intend to use interference fit to hold the bearings into the holes in the plates, don't use too much interference. It's surprising how little it takes to reduce the outer bearing race to the point where the balls drag. Better to use loctite or make up retainers for one side of the bearing. If you can get bearings that are a little thiner than the plate, you can bore the holes 90% of the way through and leave a lip to hold the other side of the bearing. the lip will help to keep shit out if you end up with bearings that have seals or shielding on one side.
    Tanshanomi likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I was thinking about these self-aligning, flange-mount roller bearings.
    Less than $10 each at McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#1434k34/=17318u1

Name:  1434k340l.gif
Views: 412
Size:  31.8 KB
    Cyorg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    I was thinking about these self-aligning, flange-mount roller bearings.
    Less than $10 each at McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#1434k34/=17318u1

Name:  1434k340l.gif
Views: 412
Size:  31.8 KB
    That would make life simple.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

I dragged all these parts out and did something! I finished the four frame lugs, cut the tubing to length, and mocked up the seat loop. I've decided to have it professionally welded. Unfortunately, my neighborhood welder can't get me in for about 3 weeks.

I also have rear frame supports extensions from the same stock which are not shown in this photo.

I even had about 20 minutes to mock up a tail cowl out of cardboard and tape.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 07-20-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    CaTacL1sm likes this.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time!
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Quote Originally Posted by grandpaul View Post
    How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time!
    In my case, I've still got most of the elephant in the freezer.

Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links