Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco - Page 30
Close

Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

This is a discussion on Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; go look at what igus has high quality plastic bushing, bearings and spherical bushings and rod ends plus lots of shit we never really see ...

Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

go look at what igus has
    high quality plastic bushing, bearings and spherical bushings and rod ends plus lots of shit we never really see
    they have a bushing material that will take 500f continouis you could make cam lobes out of the stuff
    i use the iglide bushing in swingarm pivot far superior to bronze or even needle bearings
    create an account just registering is all that is they will send free samples vat the drop of a hat
    no minimum
    swingarm bushings 4 of them they have them in stock to fit cb350 less that $4 each
    igus.com

So, a few months back, I happened to find this photo of a converted Bultaco Pursang on the web:

Looking at it, all I could think was that if I had simply stuck with twin shocks for this project, I could have skipped a whole lot of the delays and heartaches that stem from the monoshock YZ swingarm I started with. Digging into the Yamaha parts interchange, I learned that several of the '74-'76 DT and MX models used exactly the same swingarm pivot bolt, spacer, bushing and caps as the YZ125C. The twin-shock version is not the most substantial swingarm, but it offers an easy option for conventional shocks using all the hardware I already have. I'd simply need to add a couple of shock mounts to the new rear frame section I'm currently constructing. Fortunately, the monoshock mounting bracket I created simply unbolts from under the tank. Given all the additional trouble I foresee ahead with spring rates and carb clearance, this might be an attractive alternative. So I've just purchased a '76 DT175 swingarm off Ebay for less than $32, including shipping. I am not sure I'll go with it, but for the cost it will be nice to give myself some options as I move forward. I'd be abandoning one of the fundamental design catalysts that first prompted this project. However, if I really feel the need to spice up the appearance and beef up the rigidity after I get it all put together, I can use my tubing bender to make some sort of an under-brace for it, assuming I still think the project is worth the effort and I'm feeling ambitious at that point. In the meantime, this might remove some roadblocks and help the project move forward.

Last edited by Tanshanomi; 09-07-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    drgonzo likes this.

That's a really nice Pursang; looks ready to do business on the track.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

My twin-shock swingarm arrived yesterday. It's not quite the bolt-up replacement I was hoping it would be, but it will work if I decide to go that way.
    Compared side-by-side, the DT175 swingarm is negligibly longer than the YZ, but the width between the axle plates is the same. I will need to enlarge the axle slots for the larger Suzuki rear axle, however.

A bit more significantly, the pivot bushing sits just a couple centimeters further out on the right-hand side:

This really surprised me, because I thought I'd verified that all the pivot hardware was the same. I should have paid closer attention. Here's the cross-reference screen I was looking at:

If you look closely, it lists the 1976 YZ125C (my swingarm), but then specifies at the end of the line that it's actually referring only to the two prior model years, '74(A) and '75(B). I assume this is because all three years were originally included together on the same microfiche card. In reality, the two swingarms use different inner bushing sleeves.

The good news is that the swingarm does bolt up, and will work fine with very minor modifications.

I either have to remove a bit of the DT175's pivot tube to fit my existing YZ parts, or tweak the pivot bolt and spacers to match the new swingarm's dimensions. I'm leaning toward altering the swingarm because 1) I already purchased a brand-new YZ inner bush, and 2) that would give me the option of swapping between the two suspension configurations fairly effortlessly at any future point.

I finally trimmed the rear mounting boss on the crankcase halves for clearance. I had been putting this off for a while now, but it was going to be necessary regardless of which swingarm I go with. Fortunately, it was fairly quick and painless: I just clamped each half in the drill press and used a hole saw to make the cut. The pilot bit wasn't boring into anything, so the teeth on the hole saw chattered a bit as I started the cut, but overall it worked fine.

I like the idea that I can still resurrect the monoshock configuration at some point. I've already done the majority of the hard lifting on it; the only outstanding issues are carburetor placement and getting a shock with acceptable damping/spring rates. Since those could turn out to be fairly significant sticking points, for right now I'm glad to have a simpler, more straightforward alternative.

Name:  5b26a12b95363f3ac824e004fbc86bd7.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  136.8 KB

I just ordered Chop Source's "basic" frame jig kit. Essentially I'll have what's shown, minus the center cradle supports and transverse legs. The center part I really don't need, and I have enough spare stock to fab up some adjustable feet for it. The Chop Source kit is foolproof, precise, and can be easily reconfigured or disassembled for storage. You can start with the basics and add stuff like the rotisserie later. It has lots of nice extra touches, such as the diamond-shaped measuring points on the side plates.

The grand total for the kit plus 15 feet of 11 ga. 3"x2" square tube, procured locally, was $327 after shipping and sales tax.
    I could probably lose the "budget" part of the thread title any time now.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 10-02-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    drgonzo likes this.

After about 4 1/2 years of caring for my mother-in-law, she passed away about 2 weeks ago. Its very odd and unsettling to feel tremendous grief and a sense of relief at the same time. While there are still a ton of things required to wrap up her affairs and deal with her possessions, since the funeral my wife and I are kind of looking at each other saying, "Wow, do we really get to do what WE want to do now?"

I was down in the basement this morning and moved Bultakenstein's rear wheel out of my way (yet again). I happened to check at the date stamp on my rear tire – 4310. Damn if it didn't turn 7 years old two weeks ago. In that time, it's never done anything but roll back and forth across my basement floor. I'm approaching the use-it-or-lose-it stage. Time to get serious about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    After about 4 1/2 years of caring for my mother-in-law, she passed away about 2 weeks ago. Its very odd and unsettling to feel tremendous grief and a sense of relief at the same time. While there are still a ton of things required to wrap up her affairs and deal with her possessions, since the funeral my wife and I are kind of looking at each other saying, "Wow, do we really get to do what WE want to do now?"

I was down in the basement this morning and moved Bultakenstein's rear wheel out of my way (yet again). I happened to check at the date stamp on my rear tire – 4310. Damn if it didn't turn 7 years old two weeks ago. In that time, it's never done anything but roll back and forth across my basement floor. I'm approaching the use-it-or-lose-it stage. Time to get serious about this.
    Sorry to hear about your mother in law. It is ok to feel a sense of relief. No idea what your circumstances are, but sometimes things are just better for everyone.

On the tire front.... For exactly the same reason, I eventually learned to leave the tire shopping until just before the gas and oil goes in.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Now go post a copy of this on your fridge.
    Tanshanomi and Mark Burton like this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Sorry to hear about your mother in law. It is ok to feel a sense of relief. No idea what your circumstances are, but sometimes things are just better for everyone.
    It's definitely better for her — colon cancer, spinal degeneration, MRSA, necrotic limbs. It was bad...like, really, really bad. It sucks for us because she was a remarkably special lady. Fortunately, she was mentally sharp until about the last 24 hours, so nothing was left unsaid. She was 86 and made it clear she was ready to go.

It's definitely better for her – colon cancer, spinal degeneration, MRSA, necrotic limbs. It was bad...like, really, really bad. It sucks for us because she was a remarkably special lady. Fortunately, she was mentally sharp until about the last 24 hours, so nothing was left unsaid. She was 86 and made it clear she was ready to go.
    My condolences, I just lost my dad 2 months ago at the same time Mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and not given much time past Christmas. It's not going to be a great holiday season this year. Like your MIL, my dad had no quailty of life for the last 3-4 years. It was time for him to go, doctors new it and pulled his feed and meds, rolled mom into his room to say their goodbyes before wheeling her into surgery, he passed while she was under only to come out of surgery with the news of dad and her prognosis. Mom is 87 and a social butterfly and still out everyday living her normal life.
    Nice looking Taco.

Likes go away if you edit the post.
    Last edited by o1marc; 11-08-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    Tanshanomi likes this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links