Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco - Page 31
Close

Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

This is a discussion on Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I got the jig assembled yesterday, though I still need to attach the legs (the smaller tubing crossways under it). I have four threaded leveling ...

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

I got the jig assembled yesterday, though I still need to attach the legs (the smaller tubing crossways under it). I have four threaded leveling feet (in the McMaster-Carr baggie). I also need to make a couple of spacers to locate the swingarm pivot perfectly horizontal and parallel to the centerline. When that's complete I can move on to:
    1) Align the seat tubes square and level;
    2) Cut the seat support extensions to the proper length and fish mouth them to the seat tubes;
    3) Make rear shock mounts. They'll be located right where the tubes join.

I am going to take the whole kit-and-kaboodle to a welder down the street who'll turn the whole mess into a completed frame for me.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 12-04-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    CaTacL1sm and drgonzo like this.
    "With idiotic intentions come idiotic victories" – Salvage Bultaco franken-bike build log

I haven't done much work on the chassis, beyond finishing the jig setup and leveling it. I did, however, pick up some additional engine parts in the form of this Model 143 Frontera 360 bottom end. It has the larger cylinder opening of the big bore (326–363cc) bikes, the later ('75-on) left-side shift option, and the same wide-ratio gears as the Lobito 175 transmission I already have. I feel it was a fairly good deal at $199 shipped. The seller said the crank turns but feels gritty. We'll have to see what sort of condition it's really in when I get it in the next week or so.

Name:  M143-web.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  76.3 KB

Since all the engine parts I have currently were purchased separately, a complete and intact lower end will also get me all those little extra bits inside the cases that I don't yet have. The extra kick from a 370 would be nice, but I will most likely end up sticking with the smaller crankcases, since I already have a Sherpa S 200 cylinder [VGC, but bent cooling fin as you'll remember ] and a NOS 2nd over Tarabusi piston kit for it.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 07-12-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    "With idiotic intentions come idiotic victories" – Salvage Bultaco franken-bike build log

Slowly making progress on the frame. Lots of measuring and nudging lately, not much fabrication. I did chuck up some aluminum in the lathe and made spacers that positively locate the swingarm pivot bolt in the jig horizontally and perpendicular to the center line. I then verified that the swingarm pivot is perpendicular to the steering stem axis and the frame is, indeed, symmetrical at the swingarm pivot – that is, the insides of the frame where the swingarm mounts are the same distance from the center line. I had strongly suspected that, but hadn't been able to conclusively determine that until now. That will simplify final installation of rear motor mounts and the swingarm.

Now I can finally move on to getting the new seat supports and seat loop level and true, which was the task that prompted the purchase of the frame jig in the first place.

Name:  IMG_6258-web.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  960.4 KB
    DesmoDog likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

nice to see progress
    i have a street plated 360 frontera identical to that one above
    do you have suspension and wheels sorted ?
    forward mounted shocks like the '75's?
    its a good idea to undercut the gear dogs as long as you have it all on the bench
    Last edited by XB33BSA; 01-23-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    nice to see progress
    i have a street plated 360 frontera identical to that one above
    do you have suspension and wheels sorted ?
    forward mounted shocks like the '75's?
    its a good idea to undercut the gear dogs as long as you have it all on the bench
    The wheels and forks are early '80s Suzuki GS:

I chatted with Mark Atkinson about my plans for Bultakenstein when he was a guest on the podcast, right after he bought his Alpina. Now, he's turned it into a monoshock road racer. I am therefore going to falsely claim that Bultakenstein was the inspiration for his bike.

?TACO CON QUESO. A Bultaco Racer from Speed Of Cheese Racing - Pipeburn.com

Name:  23_01_2018_Bultaco_Racer_Speed_of_Cheese_pipeburn_06.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  82.9 KB
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 01-23-2018 at 05:12 PM.

there's only so many left here on earth......jalsteve isn't going to like it.

dont skip undercutting the dogs
    it can help a lazy shift to not become a tearful expense
    i am mnot speaking of precision recutting of the entire dogs contact zone
    but a method for gears that are new or in very good dogshow standings
    its simple nothing but a die grinder and fine quality carbide burs in 1/8 or 3/16
    side shimming of the ancient automobile type gearbox is also wise
    i say automobile type in that like all old mc's were in the begining the input and output share the same axil the main shaft is one shaft inside another and only in top gear do the mated shafts rotate in unison at the speed at top gears 1to 1 ratio
    the other gear and shaft is monikered the layshft
    be sure and look carefully at the mainshafts pecker which slides up into the shorter input of power shaft which the clutch is also mounted to
    the interface of these two is either bronze bushes or on some mfgs drawn cup needle bearings
    inspect them look for heat bl;ueing etc
    in a non motorcycle app this type of gearbox allows one axis of rotation to be shared by the engines crasnkshaft ,clutch ,gearbox mainshaft and driveline

The Frontera 370 "bottom end" I bought arrived, and it's much more complete that I had expected. It's basically a complete motor, minus the barrel, head and clutch plates. It even came with the intake and exhaust manifolds, and a clean 2nd over piston that at least looks serviceable. The small end bearing is borked, but it's a solid basis for a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post

Name:  IMG_6258-web.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  960.4 KB

When you have a moment, any chance you could post a close up photo or two of the brackets etc that attach to the swing arm pivot? Please and thank you.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links