Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco - Page 38
Close

Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

This is a discussion on Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by XB33BSA you can run a pair of shocks up top in place of a mono if ypu want to experim,ent i would ...

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    you can run a pair of shocks up top in place of a mono if ypu want to experim,ent
    i would defina tely try it considering the work and good planning you have done
    I have played with that idea several different times, but there just isn't room for a shock in there, let alone two. Even with the single shock I have in there, at 10.5", the shock body is too short to provide any decent amount of travel. In order to get any sort of decent wheel travel with a high-mounted pair of shocks, I would have to rework either the frame or the swingarm pretty drastically. There is a very narrow angle between those downtubes connecting the backbone to the swingarm pivot; notice that I had to find a spring that started halfway back on the shock.

That area of the frame would have to get totally reworked to accommodate two shocks, or the shocks have to extend back well past the existing shock mount on the swingarm.

I have wasted a lot of time and money choosing unsuitable parts just because I could get them cheap and trying to get them to fit, or spending a tremendous amount of effort working around some perceived roadblock that would have actually been much easier to address than all the other stuff I did instead. It comes back to what you have the knowledge, experience, skill, and most importantly equipment to tackle.

I think this whole process has proven that it's no better trying to cobble something together just because it's available than to simply plan out and engineer the thing correctly, with the proper components, right from the start. When I think about what I can do with the skills and tools I now have, and how I could have spent all the money I have dumped into this, I could go back to square one and not make so many horribly compromised decisions about how to do this. Frankly, I don't mind because this whole thing was a means to obtain that education and experience. The fact that I could build something better if I started over from scratch is sort of a victory, regardless of some of the suckiness of the bike.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 04-23-2018 at 11:40 PM.

I feel your pain. I sometimes think its like renovating an old house. Easier to flatten it and start from scratch. As you stated, at least if you decided to start over now... given what you've learned, it would go a lot smoother. I'm just taking all the left overs and putting them in a shed, so when my riding days are over, I can start welding together yard art.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

This pretty much sums up this project.

Name:  idiotic-victories.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  87.3 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

PHEW! I made it to the end! What a great way to document your build.

Don't be disheartened Tanshanomi - if it's any consolation I have learnt a lot from reading this thread (not to attempt a mono-shock for one) and it has inspired me to create my own thread for my build.

I too have a "Frankenbike" project on the go, very early stages still but I was a bit worried about starting a conversation on here as I didn't want to get flamed for "creating a pile of expensive junk" or simply "not knowing what I was doing"

Unlike you, who is obviously experienced in the dynamics of motorcycle design and riding, I am very much an amateur BUT I am adept in the workshop and can weld, machine etc all day long. I also want to do the project to teach myself the intricacies of motorcycle design and mechanics, not to create any stunning or high performance vehicle. So we will be in similar boats but on slightly different paths.

Anyhoo, thanks for the thread and keep it up!

edit:
    PS does anyone know of other scratch build threads of a similar vein to this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
    I was a bit worried about starting a conversation on here as I didn't want to get flamed for "creating a pile of expensive junk" or simply "not knowing what I was doing"
    If there is one thing you should learn from this thread, it’s that it’s not really hard to get along here. If the people here tell you that you’re thinking is flawed, your design is unsafe, or your workmanship is crap, don’t get defensive. Odds are they’re hundred percent right. The right response is to thank them for helping you not do a crappy job, contemplate their advice with an open mind, and go back to the drawing board if necessary.

Such is the life of a prototype, the next one can be your Bultaco TR Tanshanomi Replica.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    Here's a crappy scan of another bike that inspired my project. It's a Montesa bitsa built by Jared Bates, owner of Southwest Montesa. I saw the bike at Lynn and Dorothy Mobley's Minden Classic and European Motorcycle Show way back in 1992. Wonder if he still has it?
    #181 is a 1976 360VA :I have one of those but mine's not that nice ... Probably because he owns Southwest Montesa.
    Montesa built less then 400 of them, awesome fun ride! Loud as all hell.
    lol I have the same bike stand too and that still works good.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 04-25-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Such is the life of a prototype, the next one can be your Bultaco TR Tanshanomi Replica.
    Already thinking about my next one, after this gets wrapped up (one way or another — finished, or stripped and parted) and my CL125S is running well enough to enjoy. It might be another Bultaco (I do have a spare engine), or I might do something similar with a Yamaha Blaster engine: cheaper, better parts availability, and without a half-century’s worth of decrepitude.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 04-25-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Just as a heads-up to anybody who might be tempted to think I've given up, I'm afraid not. However, some other personal priorities will prevent me from working on my bikes until sometime after the Independence Day holiday, so there won't be much going on here for about the next 60 days or so.

Keep chipping away at it. I enjoy reading your updates on this

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links