Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco - Page 39
Close

Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

This is a discussion on Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Surprise! I STILL haven't given up on this project. This morning before work, I dragged my frame jig and Bultakenstein's still-dead carcass out of the ...

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco

Surprise! I STILL haven't given up on this project. This morning before work, I dragged my frame jig and Bultakenstein's still-dead carcass out of the corners of the garage where they'd been a-molderin' untouched for the last year and a half. With the Honda CL125S Resto-mod that had been taking all my time and attention finally out of my workshop for good, I've turned my attention back to this unholy collection of mismatched parts.

Picking up where I left off, the first step is to get the DT175 swingarm properly mated to the frame. The frame is now bolted in the jig true and level, and I just ordered some additional jig furniture from Chop Source that will help me accurately align the frame and swingarm.

At least it is back out into the light prior to its eighth birthday, coming up just five weeks from now.

Nice jig, dude.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Rough removal of the stock footpeg mounts. I will use this part of the frame for additional jig attachment points. Eventually, the shift shaft crossover will mount between these bosses.
    Definitely needs more prettying up at some point, but okay for the time-being.

Last edited by Tanshanomi; 09-25-2019 at 01:21 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Make sure that the jig is absolutely level first - but I'm guessing you already knew that.

I have that same set up and the floor has a few bumps and holes, so if I move it slightly when welding to get at it from a different angle, one foot can be high or low and that sends everything else out.

edit:
    And don't assume that the stock swingarm holes or steering head are exactly square. They rarely are as they came out of the factory, let alone after years of (ab)use

Is a digital angle cube sufficient to true the jig components? That's what I've been using to check that everything is level and plumb.
    And once I got it level, I used a sharpie to draw little circles on the concrete around each of the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    And don't assume that the stock swingarm holes or steering head are exactly square. They rarely are as they came out of the factory, let alone after years of (ab)use
    I definitely don't -- I've seen pictures of the Bultaco factory back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    I definitely don't -- I've seen pictures of the Bultaco factory back in the day!

And a cube is good enough as long as it's calibrated (zero'd out) I use a cube more than my supposedly super accurate, silly expensive longacre digital
    Tanshanomi likes this.

How times have changed. I guess this and my angle gauge/blocks can now be used as door stops.

Glad to see you dragged it out of the corner.

Name:  E2283E79-9892-4D6D-BC45-862B9C3B7131.jpeg
Views: 41
Size:  76.1 KB
    Last edited by Cyorg; 09-26-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Frame is bolted into the jig using the additional fittings, and I'm working on final alignment of the twin-shock swingarm:

I got two 6mm outer spacers made up this morning. The engine mounting plates need to be spaced in because of a pair socket-head screws that attach the support block on the left, as well as clear a bunch of big, globby welds on the inside of the frame on both sides. I still need one more 10.5 mm spacer inboard of the engine mounting plate on the left side. Unfortunately, I ran out of time. (For some reason, my employer doesn't seem to understand the vital nature of this project, and expects me to show up for work. Gaaah!)

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Sponsored Links