KZ750 project an question
Close

This is a discussion on KZ750 project an question within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; picked this basket case up for $150 tonight. Got it to start one for about a few seconds, lagging throttle response and almost sounded like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

picked this basket case up for $150 tonight. Got it to start one for about a few seconds, lagging throttle response and almost sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders or something.

Got it home and now it wont start, turns over and after about 20 seconds or so I get a very loud pop from the exhaust.

I need to go get pods for it tomorrow. Any thoughs on where to start?

previous owner said this of the carbs in an email to me.

"In this picture it has 4-1 exhaust. But since then I have cut it, and made it into 4-2. Reason being, it was running to rich, since I drilled out the jets. If it had 90 jets, it would run better. One of the carbs need a float needle. As far as the diaphrams, none of them are cracked or torn."

any thoughts

thanks guys

Also the exhaust is getting replaced, it currently has a terrible home job on it

He DRILLED the jets? If you got it to run at all then most likely all you need to do is properly rebuild the carburetors.

WTF...jets are like $3 a pop. Drill them? ugh...
    http://www.kaleesphotography.com/photoartclub/Shocksproject/shocksproject.html

1981 GS750E, K&N pods, GS500 rear wheel, FZR600 front end, rewound stator, F4i R/R, 520 conversion, full Kerker exhaust, some trick \"looking\" shocks that may kill me, a little of this, a little of that...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

we would be guessing blindly. being POS that has been mangled by previous owner I would first clean the carbs (needs to be done 99% sure anyway) and try to get it back to stock in terms of airbox and intake + jetting. Trying to react with tricks to unknown tricks doesn't work very well. get a manual and try get it running right. Doing this for a stock is much easier.
    As getting stock jets and hunting down airbox already takes money and effort you will quickly just go deeper into hole.

Part it out, sell on ebay and buy a bike you can ride. You'll get your money back and will have less head aches.
    -

do those come in a rebuild kit??? and if I am getting non redneck exhaust do i get stock jets?

I have the box, was just going to buy some pods

I think he's full of shit, because I think the KZ750's with CV carbs came stock with something like 125 main jets.
    I also think if one of the carbs "needs a float needle", you will be dumping fuel into whatever cylinder that carb is.

I think you'd be wise to get reasonable pods, such as Uni's or K&N's. Not cheao,

I think you should get 127.5's and 130's for your main jets with those pods.

I think you should do a complete tune up. You know, like valve clearances. I do believe that bike is bucket over shim.

Figure out what shims you need first and pick them up when you pick up your Unis or K&N's.

http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Listen to these guys!!!! Trust me. I speak from experience.

You can probably get a lot of what you need from Mark, the guy above (mlinder) he has an online shop.

If I were you though I'd bail on the pod idea. Just my personal opinion, and it's over done.

You have carbs, exhaust and air intake to consider. One changes the other. You can go online and find the info you need until you can get a manual (get one). Once you know what is stock as far as jetting goes order 3-4 sizes up and down so you can tweak. Jets R Us has them as do other vendors. Carb rebuild kits do not come with jets. Clean your carbs and then clean them again.

I don't know a whole lot but I think that bike has potential. And for $150 you're a little ahead of the game already. I'd get it back to stock (exhaust, carbs, air box) and get it running right and go from there.
    1988 FZ600

OMG OMG

the wiring is comical at best he he

Im not sure if I will have room for the airbox what the homemade battery tray, btw its an APC battery, isnt that for computers???

how does the raised rear end with new shock mounts work out? Seems like horrible for the geometry with reverse progression...

and those welds are not too hot either. Seriously sell, forks, wheels and tank + engine and you'll come ahead. I am not trying to be overly negative but it will take a fair bit of effort to fix damage done by fools and doubt the bikes value will go up that much.
    -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links