Advice
Close

Advice

This is a discussion on Advice within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi All, I'm looking for some advice. I just finished putting together a 2006 Thruxie I love the bike and had a great time putting ...

Thread: Advice

Advice

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice. I just finished putting together a 2006 Thruxie I love the bike and had a great time putting it in running order. Had some help from the guys over on the Triumph forum but after lurking here on and off it seems you are all better scroungers than those folks, Not a bad thing but a good thing. I also like the whole Cafe mindset. After seeing my '06 a friend in AZ would like me to build him a Modern Triumph twin powered Framecrafter framed featherbed CR. Soooooooo the advice I'm looking for is what is the best way to locate a doner bike. The on line breakers have so many add/on's that the price is way up there. Any help advice would be great and I'll pass on anything I learn along the way.

reugene
    rich46

What kind of suspension and wheels is your friend thinking about using? If He is going to use stock new Triumph Thruxton stuff, then I would look for a used AHRMA race bike and use all the good stuff, especially if he can find a crashed one with a bent frame. Otherwise, I would check with Randy at Framecrafters and see if he has any leads in his area so he can set up the steering stem, swing arm and rear suspension when he builds the frame.

ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Ken,

Thank you for answering. I have already talked to Randy. He is on the look out for one also and has one on the bench as I write this. With three builds going looks as if this idea is not mine alone.

I think that an '07 Thruxton is the best engine because of some thicker mounting bosses and a more modification friendly cylinder head.

I think the race bike is a good idea. I had been looking for a street bike that had just slid down the road. As I don't need a whole lot of the little stuff I was hoping that I could sell off what's left and save my friend so rubles.

What he wants me to build him is a streetable race bike mostly old school but with readily available OTC & OEM bits. This way if he yard sales it we can screw it back together without fabing a bunch of one off parts.

There is ideal and there's what I can find so I think I'm looking for a '04 to '07 T-100 or Thrux. maybe a Bonneville in a pinch. Wish I knew how to bid on some insurance totals.

Thanks again,

Rich
    rich46

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Go to http://www.copart.com/c2/copart_home_page.html. You can register and bid on insurance salvage bikes. As I assume you have no salvage license, you will have to go through a broker but it's a very simple process. My company has a MO salvage license and we have purchased several great bikes from them.
    \"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.\"http://www.hogsbreathcycles.com/

Go to http://www.copart.com/c2/copart_home_page.html. You can register and bid on insurance salvage bikes. As I assume you have no salvage license, you will have to go through a broker but it's a very simple process. My company has a MO salvage license and we have purchased several great bikes from them.
    \"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.\"http://www.hogsbreathcycles.com/

how about calling some local triumph dealers?

is your friend a commie?

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

how about calling some local triumph dealers?

is your friend a commie?

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Tex,
    No he's not a commie, a cheapskate yes a commie no. Dealers don't seem to help much. Binned bikes come in get estimates and go to auction. I think for the most part the dealers view them as pains in the butt. Thanks anyway.

Rich
    rich46

Tex,
    No he's not a commie, a cheapskate yes a commie no. Dealers don't seem to help much. Binned bikes come in get estimates and go to auction. I think for the most part the dealers view them as pains in the butt. Thanks anyway.

Rich
    rich46

Sponsored Links