GS 750 Cafe Racer - Page 11
Close

GS 750 Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on GS 750 Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Ok, so back to the seat plug for a mold. I have since redesigned it using the surfacing in Solidworks. I then had my pal ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: GS 750 Cafe Racer

Ok, so back to the seat plug for a mold. I have since redesigned it using the surfacing in Solidworks. I then had my pal 3D print my model full scale to test it out on the bike to see how it looked. With the little body lines I put on the side of the seat cowl, it was getting quite tough to keep any sort of real accurate symmetry. So the 3D print was a great option for making an accurate plug for a mold. Normally fiberglass folks wouldn't go to the lengths to make a plug, mold, then final part for a one-off, but because it has those body lines you wouldn't be able to just undersize your plug/3D print and lay glass right on top of it. You'd end up losing definition in your body lines. At which point I'd basically be back where I was at anyways (basically eyeballing it). Anyways, we ended up doing three 3D prints. The first was hollow and ended up coming out warped, but a design change was necessary anyways so we refined it and reprinted.

On another note, I finally saved up the cash to buy a proper tube bender. I've got a number of projects that require bent tubes including subframes, bumpers, roll cages, etc. After many many many hours of deliberation/research I decided a RogueFab tube bender fit my needs best and pulled the trigger. I ran 3 test bends on it the other day just to see how it would do on motorcycle frames and the bends looked great. I used 3/4"x.045 wall material for the test. The nice thing about Roguefab is that they offer combo dies at the regular die price (which is already more affordable than the other companies). Now frame hoops and other mods are no longer something I've got to send out for. Maybe one of these days I'll attempt a full frame. I've got a jig in the works

\"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.\"

3D Printed Plug Fitment/Design/Refine

Petcock Relocation/Upgrade

I had to do a petcock relocation anyways so I decided to upgrade while I was at it. I went with a high flow Pingel unit that is rebuildable and made in the U.S. The old petcock ran into the backside of the valve cover, if my memory serves me right. I basically just moved it to where it sat on the stock 80+ models. That way it gets wet under braking and power.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

jcw
    Git er done!
    T8erbug likes this.

6 years? WTF

Why do you need a 15 gallon tank and dirt bike tires on a bike that is supposed to emulate a race bike?

Something about your geometry...just doesn't look right. It's too long but that should be obvious...Did you internally lower your forks?

Pardon me, i had to stop reading the thread when it went two pages of you telling everyone why a lowered bike is better.

Are you familiar with the term "Divine Proportion"? Some leniance is affordable but you really missed the mark.

Bike looks great - nice to see you back
    T8erbug likes this.

Troll Alert

Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    6 years? WTF

Why do you need a 15 gallon tank and dirt bike tires on a bike that is supposed to emulate a race bike?

Something about your geometry...just doesn't look right. It's too long but that should be obvious...Did you internally lower your forks?

Pardon me, i had to stop reading the thread when it went two pages of you telling everyone why a lowered bike is better.
    No no, pardon me. My apologies for having a life outside of this motorcycle . I shouldn't have to justify my priorities haha but I'm an engineering student and attend school on a full-time/part-time basis. I'm doing it with no financial assistance from parents/gov't etc. It's taken some grit and self control putting aside my passions that, trust me, I'd much rather do than homework. At this point, my number one priority is getting through school debt-free.

If you cared to read on past the first two pages, you would have read some valuable suspension geometry discussion. It was enough to set me on a new path of understanding and led me to do more in depth research. That's the beauty of the forum. It can be a useful learning tool.

Now that you understand why I've taken the time I have, I'll address the bike stuff. First of all, that's a pretty standard tank with a capacity of just under 5gal. The tires are quite obviously not dirt bike tires. Anyone who has ever been near a racetrack will quickly recognize them as wets. They're for racing in the rain. I actually got a killer deal on them because they were only used for a photoshoot for a local wheel company. I'll burn them up and get some drys on just for you... And don't worry, I'll only use them while it's raining as not to upset the purist in you. The forks aren't lowered. The wheelbase is <1" longer than stock due to the GS1100 swingarm. As for the "eye test" on geometry, I'm sorry I can't address those concerns for you. If you don't like it, you don't like it and that's ok.

This forum is for people to enjoy/admire/help each other with our work. My suggestion to you is to do some research before you make snide comments. Without the research you're not really bringing any value to this thread or any of the discussions therein.

Anyways, thanks for the positive comments from the rest of you. I'm happy to address any questions, comments, or concerns about the bike. As you can see, it's been an off-and-on process and I've had plenty of time to document, measure, and think about.
    hillsy likes this.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Sponsored Links