GS 750 Cafe Racer - Page 2
Close

GS 750 Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on GS 750 Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; i hope you hit yourself in the ankle with a hammer for fucking that tank up....

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: GS 750 Cafe Racer

i hope you hit yourself in the ankle with a hammer for fucking that tank up.
    ask me about my ADD or pie or my cat. a dog. i have a bike. Do you like TV? i saw a rock. hi.

I don't think there are such a thing as cafe purists, we just don't like stupid. Seems like you have a grasp on what you are doing (ie you are actually sectioning the metal instead of bashing knee dents in with a hammer).

Before you commit to the shape of the tank narrowing try to mockup your bar, seat, and foot position (rearsets man, no stock pegs). Race tanks were 5 gallons for a reason - go for that, don't just make up for lost capacity.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Ok we're getter closer to where the bike currently sits! Here is where the frame is at the moment.

The rear is cut to about the distance I want, cut off passenger pegs, took off exhaust, and misc. detabbing

This is the tank to about the length I want. Sorry I couldn't get it propped up into position any better but I figured you would get the picture
    \"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.\"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Now you're up to speed on the frame! Apologies for my longwindedness haha.

Here is where a good portion of the work is taking place. I live in a college town at an apartment complex so this garage is cozy but it will do. I also take a street rod technologies class at the local university on the side so that is where all the welding and metal shaping takes place.

Are you making all your own parts? The seat? If not maybe you want to get those pars before you do any more cutting.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Hey thanks Geeto67! Yeah rearsets all the way. I had to cut out and take away all the bulky rider and passenger pegs first but I think I should be good to go now. I did quite a few test fits before I came up with the tank shape. As for where my rearsets will go I figured I would put them roughly where the passenger pegs were (a little lower and forward from there). I found a set I like and will prob build a bolt on bracket for them that way in the unfortunate case I ever lay it down I will be able to replace them without having to reweld on the frame. Five gallons eh? I will go for it! Hopefully with some of the stuff I do under the tank I will pick up a little more fuel capacity.

I am fabbing majority of my parts. Tail, seat, brackets, etc will be done by me. It's mostly about cost. If I can save a buck, learn something, and/or get better quality original parts I will do it myself. I am not opposed to buying parts if it saves me time/money and doesn't take away from the originality of the bike though.

Alright here is the tank as of today. It took me FOReeeeveeeerrr to square the tank up so I could make accurate/good cuts.

Here are the knee indents all cut out

WISH I HAD A LASER STRAIGHT LINE haha

In this pic you can see where the fuel shut off bolts in. Chances are it will interfere with the knee indents and because the tank will lean slightly forward on the finished bike I will probably just move it forward a little to a wider portion of the tank

Also today I cut the ingnition mounting gear off the top triple clamp just because A) The old Suzuki one won't fit and isn't worth the major modification to make it look like it belonged B) The clamp looks a LOT cleaner without the ignition switch there and it can easily be relocated. Now just some minor grinding/sanding and she will be ready to paint back up

I'm liking this one. I especially like the work on the fuel tank. The way you are sectioning and then adding material in the right places, that's how my friend Paul did my tank. It took hours and hours of cutting, measuring, fitting, and welding.
    quote:Originally posted by T8erbug

I see a cafe racer as a bike that started out good, got lower, meaner, faster, better handling characteristics, and lightened up as much as possible (minus or plus a few things).
    Yep, all except the part about "lower".

I guess I just assumed most bikes' handling is enhanced by a nice little lowering job.. Center of gravity being lower and all that jazz. Thanks for the props though! You have any pics of your tank?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links