GS 750 Cafe Racer - Page 3
Close

GS 750 Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on GS 750 Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; quote: Originally posted by T8erbug I guess I just assumed most bikes' handling is enhanced by a nice little lowering job.. Center of gravity being ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: GS 750 Cafe Racer

quote:Originally posted by T8erbug

I guess I just assumed most bikes' handling is enhanced by a nice little lowering job.. Center of gravity being lower and all that jazz. Thanks for the props though! You have any pics of your tank?
    That is a flawed assumption. A motorcycle does not have a static CG like a car. Lowering the bike will ruin it handling. changing the rake, trail, dampning, tire size will all effect the handling. Guess what - wide tires make an old bike handle worse.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Absolutely right but your side to side movement is quicker when lowered which reduces the time you go from one knee to the other. The wide tire stuff is good to know! Have you experienced this first hand? I was actually thinking about going wider thinking it would get me that much closer to sport bike handling so maybe it's a good thing I haven't! Can you tell me why handling is worse with a wider tire? Thanks for the voice guys! All your input is a HUGE help and It's exactly why I joined the forum.
    \"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.\"

If that were true, then why are motoGP bikes so tall in the rear?

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Wide tire is slower to turn in and slower to change direction because it is wider, you have longer to travel over the tire to get to the right lean angle.

Don't confuse lowered seat height with lower overall. Lower overall = less ground clearance and less lean angle, lower rider = better flickability
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

The tail is high to raise the seat. If the rider were too low they would not be able to reach their maximum lean angle. If you look at a motoGP bike you will see they try to keep any bulk/heavy items as low as possible. I guess It's easiest to imagine what I was saying as a lever. If you have a lever fixed on the bottom (point A) and you move it with your hand (Rider) from the top of the lever (point B) it is like the front view of a motorcycle (tire to ground is point A, top of the bike is point B). Then take a 5lb weight put it between point A and B. The closer it is to point A the easier it will become to swing it back and forth. The same goes on a bike. If the engine were slung higher on the bike or the frame in general were higher it would be like moving the 5lb weight closer the point B. The rider would have to exert more energy/take more time to move the bike from lean right to lean left and vice versa. I'm not the best at explaining myself but I hope you get what I mean

I guess the main thing is moderation. Too low is no good for obvious reasons. Rider up too high is no good for obvious reasons. I'd say the best handling would be achieved when you find the best of both those worlds without scraping the ground

I used to have one of these, now I'm looking for another one. Just so you know, that brace you cut off the rear of the frame is needed. The ass end is all noodley without it so put another one on. Lowering this bike is no good, longer rear shocks helped mine tons and I still occasionally scraped. Get a Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust for it, sounds great and gives noticeable performance when tuned right, I had k&n filters with proper jetting and had the carbs dyno synced. If you find wheels/hubs from the 77 you can lace up some alloy rims for a better wheelset.

And grab an alloy swingarm off a GS1100 so you can run a wider rear wheel. You will be able to get a 180 tyre into an 1100 swingarm on a 5 inch rim (it's tight, but it's do-able).

quote:Originally posted by hillsy

And grab an alloy swingarm off a GS1100 so you can run a wider rear wheel. You will be able to get a 180 tyre into an 1100 swingarm on a 5 inch rim (it's tight, but it's do-able).
    I have heard that. I don't know if I am going to go as wide as 180 but I hear the alloy swingarm improves handling a bit as well as allow a bigger tire. Is it a direct bolt on? Would I have to move my rear brake master cylinder to make all the gear clear with rearsets?? I know that's kind of an abstract question since neither of us knows what my rearsets are going to look like yet but give it your best guess. Thanks!

quote:Originally posted by muskies666

I used to have one of these, now I'm looking for another one. Just so you know, that brace you cut off the rear of the frame is needed. The ass end is all noodley without it so put another one on. Lowering this bike is no good, longer rear shocks helped mine tons and I still occasionally scraped. Get a Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust for it, sounds great and gives noticeable performance when tuned right, I had k&n filters with proper jetting and had the carbs dyno synced. If you find wheels/hubs from the 77 you can lace up some alloy rims for a better wheelset.

Thanks a bunch! I figured it would stiffen it up a bit. I was planning on round a piece of tube and just welding end to end to give it a finished look but my rear tire would rub it in a big bump so I am going to go up and over similar to the stock one so it's hidden from view. After that I will just have to come up with a clever way to finish the bar ends. Vance and Hines are my top pick if I buy some but I think I may just build my own. I do know that the headers on the bike have a pipe inside the pipe.. I want to just take out the inner pipe and see how it runs after I build a 4-1( and proper jetting). Know anyone who has hollowed stock headers out?? I want to find some wheels asap and was going to go the wire wheel route so I appreciate the advice! I just need the hubs right? Then I can buy some allow rims from there? I have look for rims and I think the best thing for the money I have found so far is a company called Sun Rims out in California (not the Sun Rims in Idaho).

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links