GS 750 Cafe Racer
Close

GS 750 Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on GS 750 Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I was planning on doing the bike all on my own with no help from the internet world but as I come closer to throwing ...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: GS 750 Cafe Racer

T8erbug's GS750 Cafe Racer

I was planning on doing the bike all on my own with no help from the internet world but as I come closer to throwing on the forks, choosing different wheels, axles, and possibly a different swingarm I realize I will need the help and opinions of others to assure the bike comes out working like it should. So let me get you up to speed. Bought the bike from a guy out in Salt Lake. Rode it home so it passed the first test. He had aspired to make it a cafe bike so a few things were already taken off the bike (indicators, seat, misc small items). The carb had air cleaners so that was nice. SO I have started the breakdown of the bike and chopped into the frame. My main focus right now is the tank and you will see why. Feel free to ask whatever and I will fill you in.
    Last edited by T8erbug; 02-09-2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Clarification
    \"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.\"

Ever done this before? i.e. Torn down a motorized vehicle and put it back together performing better than it did when you got it.
    220, 221 whatever it takes.

Good on ya for buying a running bike, did it have a title? That's a big one where I'm from (WI).

Pics are always fun to look at.

Also another good on ya for buying an old Suzuki (that is contingent on you making it better than it was originally and keeping it on the road).
    “I love all kind of motorcycle. But especially I love cafe. Hmm, not cafe, just racer.”
    ~Shinya Kimura

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hey thanks guys! Getting the title was a hastle. I bought it with the understanding I could get it from the original owner because the guy I bought it from didn't ever get the title. I managed to track the owner down and get the title after a few weeks of prodding (he lost it and didn't want to have to apply for a new one). I have had my hand at flipping cars for a few years now. I usually do them with my own selfish desires in mind (minor performance and body mods) but they have all sold for more than I was into them and I get plenty of miles enjoying them so it's been a rewarding hobby. This is my fourth bike. I figured it's time to get unique and make something good/old better! Like I said this is my first time in any bike forum so I am just learning how to post photos. I recently uploaded them onto an image host so hopefully I will have a couple pics up by days end!

So here she is. This is the photo I saw online when I found it and knew I had to have it. Slightly torn down but they were things that would be removed anyway. It just seemed to have a good base form for a sporty four cylinder cafe. So I bought it and my love for the GS family has been growing ever since. More pics coming

1) cafe is not a noun unless you are talking about a place to drink coffee and eat little sandwiches.

2) build is not an adjective or a noun. Project is.

3) current pics? The words "chopped into the frame" worries me.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

The first thing I did was start the tear down process.

I did like the tank but the more I looked at it, then at other bikes I decided the tank needed changing in order to achieve the look I'm going for. (new cap and internals, knee indents, and a more flat/streamline look)

Drew up some lines and roughly figured how much I wanted to section out

Ok here it is after I sectioned out everything. Looks a lot leaner and ready to go fast. I also want to lengthen it 2.5 inches not only for the look of it but it should make up the difference in volume loss due to the knee indents and sectioning.

a quick test fit looked pretty good. I hadn't welded the tank at this point. If you look at the front of the tank you can see there is a gap about .25 inch in the top and bottom of the tank. Because I am adding length to the tank I figured the best route to go is to cut it down the middle of the tank where it's dimensions change the least, then moving the top part of the tank closer to the front so they match up. Doing this retains the majority of the factory shape in the front and saves me from having to stretch and shape metal to make it all fit.

From the beginning I knew I wanted an old bike and wanted to make it better. I am not a purist when it comes to cafe racers so I hope I don't offend anyone. I see a cafe racer as a bike that started out good, got lower, meaner, faster, better handling characteristics, and lightened up as much as possible (minus or plus a few things). That being said I was not opposed to putting the technology of today on a bike of yesterday. I bought a 2001 GSXR fork for it because it offered a good track record and was still RSD not to mention I got a good deal on some GSXR brakes as well (two birds with one stone!). I just think USD forks kind of distract from the nostalgic look. As far as the rear suspension goes I will put new shocks on the rear but stick with the dual shock set-up, again to keep the nostalgic look.

Using paint I came up with a quick little rendering of what I'd like the bike to look like for the most part. Not exact but it gives me a good idea of what I'm shooting for. Stretched tank, lower front end, 4-1 exhaust, and custom tail/seat. Everything else is subject to change

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links