1968 triumph tr25w rebuild
Close

This is a discussion on 1968 triumph tr25w rebuild within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; New to forum. Has anyone worked on a 68 TR25W? I have some basic mechanical skills and tools but would need to farm out major ...

New to forum. Has anyone worked on a 68 TR25W? I have some basic mechanical skills and tools but would need to farm out major work.I bought a rolling chasis about 95% complete. It is in pieces, engine is free, has about 110 lbs compression after a few kicks, and same when I added a little oil. But it has typical bottom end oil leaks that I need to sort. The kick start feels like there could be a tooth missing. Total rebuild?

Have fun. Do you have the correct tools?? I am not sure when Triumph changed to metric fasteners, but you may have a bike that is all whitworth and British standard . Your wrenches won't fit and you can't get anything that fits down at the hardware store. It is a big pain.

I have the predecessor to you bike- a tiger cub. It is a love hate relationship.

Sell it now and get a Honda. Really.

Have fun. Do you have the correct tools?? I am not sure when Triumph changed to metric fasteners, but you may have a bike that is all whitworth and British standard . Your wrenches won't fit and you can't get anything that fits down at the hardware store. It is a big pain.

I have the predecessor to you bike- a tiger cub. It is a love hate relationship.

Sell it now and get a Honda. Really.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

best information will be at britbike.com
    a lot of very knowledgeable good guys who will help...
    first thing is to buy a parts and maintenance manual
    very common for brit bikes to have an initial lock up while kicking(if that is what is happening),you wil need to put it in gear and move bike to rotate shaft then try again.you can fix this by reworking the first tooth on the gear.
    hard to say what it needs, take your time and ask questions and ck manuals..
    [email protected] vcycle
    www.joesvcycle.com

best information will be at britbike.com
    a lot of very knowledgeable good guys who will help...
    first thing is to buy a parts and maintenance manual
    very common for brit bikes to have an initial lock up while kicking(if that is what is happening),you wil need to put it in gear and move bike to rotate shaft then try again.you can fix this by reworking the first tooth on the gear.
    hard to say what it needs, take your time and ask questions and ck manuals..
    [email protected] vcycle
    www.joesvcycle.com

Thanks for the link Joe, very useful. I'll check the kick start although it goes so far and drops an inch as if there is a tooth missing.
    Jack, you are right about the tools. I think I need whitworth but not sure, none of mine work well and I see a few rounded nuts from its previous life. I had a BSA equivalent when 17 so this is more of a pet project. May have to pony up for some more tools.

yes it is not the leading tooth problem i spoke about,is the clutch slipping?if not you will need to ck it out.
    triumph(or any british bike) never went to metric fasteners, they went to sae in the late 60's so it may have a mix, all depends on what they had on the line!
    most pre sae fasteners are cei thread- 26tpi and not real witworth which is a 50 degree thread but very similiar to the sae 60 degree thread- in other words they will interchange but the actual british fasteners us the witworth wrenches.
    good luck
    joe @ vcycle
    www.joesvcycle.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynh-D1FEDy8

Sponsored Links