'75 Z1b project
Close

'75 Z1b project

This is a discussion on '75 Z1b project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Long time no see all, Some of you may remember me from about two years ago, I built the silver CX500 cafe and was working ...

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: '75 Z1b project

'75 Z1b project

Long time no see all,
    Some of you may remember me from about two years ago, I built the silver CX500 cafe and was working on a 1970 CL100 race/cafe thing. Needless to say I had to put it on hold for a while because of the Army.
    Long story short, I returned back to Texas from Afghanistan in mid December and knew I wanted to buy another bike. I had my eye out for a sportclassic... but I saw this baby on craigslist and knew I had to get it.

Basically, this Z1 has been bouncing around between two brothers and a son since it was first bought. Between the three of them they've done several great modifications to the bike.

For about $3,000 I got a running 30,000 mi Z1 with:
    -Dual front disk conversion with braided steel brake lines
    -Rebuilt front forks (with aftermarket damper rods)
    -Rebuilt wheels with Alloy rims (I think DID Japan)
    -S&W rear springs
    -Full Dyna makeover
    -Fresh clutch
    -New Carb boots and balanced and rebuilt carbs
    -Needle bearings in tree and swingarm
    -Kerker exhaust

There's other things I'm probably forgetting, but as you can see... an amazing starting point.

They also have a clymers, original manual, tool kit, and two magazines from 1980 talking about good mods for the Z1 as well as a bunch of receipts from parts and research they had done on tuning the bike.

So with a bike this mint I'm only buying the best stuff I can. So far I've gathered airtech clipons and bullet blinkers, generic headlight ears (until I get around to ordering the k2 half fairing from Airtech), Tarozzi Rearsets, bar end mirrors, and a second set of full bodywork to paint.

So obviously my first steps are to get the front brakes working (they got stuck from the bike sitting in the guys garage for a while), new tires, chain, and put on the stock Z1 seat I have. luckily I don't have to worry about the oil because the seller changed the oil and filter last week.

Stay tuned for the next episode!

If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions, I'm open to them. I've never touched a Z1 before so I've been lurking the kzr forums and doing as much research as I can before doing anything.

PS: if anyone has a rickman frame for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

I remember you. Thank you for your service and welcome back.

Couple of guys have big zeds here. Looks good and good luck.
    That's like, your opinion, man.

I remember you. Thank you for your service and welcome back.

Couple of guys have big zeds here. Looks good and good luck.
    That's like, your opinion, man.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on getting back safe from afghanistan.
    Looks like someone already hit it with the good stuff: dual discs, fork brace, mulholland shocks, and a kerker. She will be a runner. Corbin makes a gunfighter seat for the big zed I have been lusting after for years, with the sets and clipons that would be a hot setup.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Looks like someone already hit it with the good stuff: dual discs, fork brace, mulholland shocks, and a kerker. She will be a runner. Corbin makes a gunfighter seat for the big zed I have been lusting after for years, with the sets and clipons that would be a hot setup.

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

I dig the corbin!
    I'd like to keep it a 2-up bike and was thinking of using the seatpan from this king/queen seat and putting new foam on (so its similar shape to the stock z1 seat but not as thick) and having it upholstered in something fun... brown leather on a silver bike?
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

I dig the corbin!
    I'd like to keep it a 2-up bike and was thinking of using the seatpan from this king/queen seat and putting new foam on (so its similar shape to the stock z1 seat but not as thick) and having it upholstered in something fun... brown leather on a silver bike?

Stock z1 seat is a bench. Not even a good curved city park bench, it is the little league dugout pine plank bench.

I have that same seat on my GS750 and let me tell you, you can't beat it for comfort. Wife likes it, I like it. Keep it on the shelf for when you guys are two up and put the corbin on for solo rides.

That is a real back in the day seat, I remember a lot of super bike emulating cafe racers having it because they still got the low front with a spot for the bar tramp. Nothing screams 1979 more than that.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Stock z1 seat is a bench. Not even a good curved city park bench, it is the little league dugout pine plank bench.

I have that same seat on my GS750 and let me tell you, you can't beat it for comfort. Wife likes it, I like it. Keep it on the shelf for when you guys are two up and put the corbin on for solo rides.

That is a real back in the day seat, I remember a lot of super bike emulating cafe racers having it because they still got the low front with a spot for the bar tramp. Nothing screams 1979 more than that.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Got some work done today...
    Pulled off the front quarter fairing, rear fender, blinkers, and luggage rack.
    Then I mounted an old lucas tail light under the cowl, put on some aluminum bullet blinkers, threw on a stock seat I had, and started on installing the rearsets. One annoying problem is that I can't get the bike to shift out of neutral or first... I'll have to pull the clutch apart and see whats going on.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to use the stock rear brake return spring with the rearsets (is it wrong to assume that it's not meant to be re-used?) I may end up going out and trying to find a spring that will work :/
    Additionally the rearsets didn't come with any sort of threaded clevis for the brake rod, but I just grabbed one of an extra set of tommasellis I had.

Sorry for the cell phone pics, my camera didn't make it out of Astan alive.

Also, along the lines of Geetos suggestion on the gunfighter seat, I've fallen in love with the Z1 Giuliari seat... the quest begins.

Tomorrow I'll work on tackling the rearset brake spring problem, wire up the tail lighs and blinkers, call the previous owner and get him to help me with the shifter, and possibly throw on the clipons, headlight ears, front blinkers, and fix the master cylinder.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links