Long time lurker first time poster
Close

This is a discussion on Long time lurker first time poster within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Almost finished with it. Need to lengthen some wires, seat pad, brake light/license plate holder...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Almost finished with it. Need to lengthen some wires, seat pad, brake light/license plate holder

Nice looking bike. I envy how close to finished you are. Please follow up with how you like it after your on the road.

Cool! ---RIP

Nice looking bike. I envy how close to finished you are. Please follow up with how you like it after your on the road.

Cool! ---RIP

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ick...a cx500. Have you done the "triple bypass" yet?

Doesn't even look close to finished to me.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Ick...a cx500. Have you done the "triple bypass" yet?

Doesn't even look close to finished to me.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Sorry I don't agree, but to me that bike is everything that's wrong with most chopped up "cafe Racers". Let me explain why.

Low bars and stock pegs are among the least efficient and painful ways to organize a riding position. Ergonomics are terrible and it makes teh bike less easy to ride and therefore less safe.

Rear fender is missing. Every stone and all the water and mud flings up your back and all over the motor and into the carbs. You need a front section of a fender to keep the crap out of your motor. race bikes and cafe racers from the era all used them.

Cutting off the rear end of the frame is another dumb fashion trend that does nothing for looks or functionality. For a start you need it to hang the fender rear light and plate on.

The small conical pods on the carbs make it very hard to jet that bike correctly and that will drive you nuts after a while.

The muffler was cut down and you managed to remove the section that muffles as far as I can see and will be incredibly noisy and will drive your neighbors nuts. You may have designed an inner baffle, but we can't see that, so I'll assume that the noise level is way over the legal limit. And more to the point, that exhaust will probably make less power at all revs and will not help with carburation either. probably sounds loud and "powerful" though.

Headlamp eyebrow. Don't get me started on those things. The hurt airflow and look naff IMHO.

You have got a fork brace and front fender, so full marks for that one.

It's not easy to convert a CX into a good looking cafe racer but it can be done. I'd replace the rear frame section and fender and reshape a seat to look more like say a Corbin gunfighter. That way it fills the brokeback frame look and the lines are much smoother and more continuous. I'd find a way to re-fit the stock airbox and I'd try to come up with a cleaner design for the side covers - that's always a challenge.

I can see that you have done a lot of work, including filling in the frame sides under the seat and it's a shame to undo work already done, but sometimes that's the way forward. I have removed complete rear subframes that I had built because they just weren't working the way I wanted them to. Bikes evolve and are rarely "finished" the first time around. That's usually just the first design iteration.

That's just my opinion, and you are free to do with it as you will. Fortunately, there's still time before the riding season really kicks in to take care of those details if you chose to.

Sorry I don't agree, but to me that bike is everything that's wrong with most chopped up "cafe Racers". Let me explain why.

Low bars and stock pegs are among the least efficient and painful ways to organize a riding position. Ergonomics are terrible and it makes teh bike less easy to ride and therefore less safe.

Rear fender is missing. Every stone and all the water and mud flings up your back and all over the motor and into the carbs. You need a front section of a fender to keep the crap out of your motor. race bikes and cafe racers from the era all used them.

Cutting off the rear end of the frame is another dumb fashion trend that does nothing for looks or functionality. For a start you need it to hang the fender rear light and plate on.

The small conical pods on the carbs make it very hard to jet that bike correctly and that will drive you nuts after a while.

The muffler was cut down and you managed to remove the section that muffles as far as I can see and will be incredibly noisy and will drive your neighbors nuts. You may have designed an inner baffle, but we can't see that, so I'll assume that the noise level is way over the legal limit. And more to the point, that exhaust will probably make less power at all revs and will not help with carburation either. probably sounds loud and "powerful" though.

Headlamp eyebrow. Don't get me started on those things. The hurt airflow and look naff IMHO.

You have got a fork brace and front fender, so full marks for that one.

It's not easy to convert a CX into a good looking cafe racer but it can be done. I'd replace the rear frame section and fender and reshape a seat to look more like say a Corbin gunfighter. That way it fills the brokeback frame look and the lines are much smoother and more continuous. I'd find a way to re-fit the stock airbox and I'd try to come up with a cleaner design for the side covers - that's always a challenge.

I can see that you have done a lot of work, including filling in the frame sides under the seat and it's a shame to undo work already done, but sometimes that's the way forward. I have removed complete rear subframes that I had built because they just weren't working the way I wanted them to. Bikes evolve and are rarely "finished" the first time around. That's usually just the first design iteration.

That's just my opinion, and you are free to do with it as you will. Fortunately, there's still time before the riding season really kicks in to take care of those details if you chose to.

Did you put the structural member back that you cut off to poorly mount the seat?
    Personal thing but I HATE those mini gauges, they are about as junky as the shitty pods you bought

Looks like you lowered the front? bad idea
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Did you put the structural member back that you cut off to poorly mount the seat?
    Personal thing but I HATE those mini gauges, they are about as junky as the shitty pods you bought

Looks like you lowered the front? bad idea
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

A long time lurker that missed key points in builds? Come on, bub.
    Just Teazer above pretty much covered it.

You can fix it though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links